Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #22,546 of 42,298
Quote:
I ordered mine June 13th no nothing from Jack for a week or two till I sent an email..

With only three wires running to these jacks and buying expensive cables I have to ask why not just use the stock cable..
I spent about $80 on connectors and wire and an hour or two making them and it does nothing other than look expensive, I'm thinking now..

I mean there is no need for four wires so the one 3 pin XLR connectors would work are really unneeded for that as the stock cable plug is wired the same as the AMP..
I feel like I have been sold on a cheap trick.

Thanks for the info, mine came in after that, seems like the WA22 just takes longer to build than the WA2 I previously ordered (or they are swamped?)

I had this discussion with Steve from Q cable (and other discussions have happened here on HeadFi) No headphone will ever need more than two wires per side, so yes the 4-pin XLR is sufficient (and still a (theoretical) improvement over the regular jack which combines two of the four wires) I guess Woo (and other amp builders!) include the dual 3-pin XLRs for compatibility, no harm done.

Also, there is more to it than the wires soldered to the ports, from the actual design process to the parts used (caps etc., some people will spend even more to replace them...), the much more complex volume control, the hand-wound transformers... And yes, the case probably adds a good part to the price but the same is true for most amp builders if you read a few of the threads discussing cost...

Whether that is worth the asking price is up to the individual... but there's plenty of info available here on Head-Fi (even if it's to be taken with a grain of salt) to allow one to get a better idea PRIOR to putting down their hard-earned cash (like the thread link Silent One and I posted).

And again, rather than fret over these things, I would hook the thing up, grab your favourite beverage, cue up your favourite music and enjoy & RELAX :) before making a decision to perhaps return it as per JC9394's suggestion.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #22,549 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
I ordered mine June 13th no nothing from Jack for a week or two till I sent an email..

With only three wires running to these jacks and buying expensive cables I have to ask why not just use the stock cable..
I spent about $80 on connectors and wire and an hour or two making them and it does nothing other than look expensive, I'm thinking now..

I mean there is no need for four wires so the one 3 pin XLR connectors would work are really unneeded for that as the stock cable plug is wired the same as the AMP..
I feel like I have been sold on a cheap trick.

Since you just brought it, you can always return it.  I'm not as upset as you are, I simply buy it because of how it sound with HD800.  So far, I can't really find an amp that I prefer more than WA22.

X2 on the WA22 preference. It has been explained in painstaking detail by Jack (below) that the WA22 is a balanced amplifier that fully utilizes a balanced source. It can send full power to either set of outputs, but only half of its power when utilizing a single-ended source. It took me a while to fully Grok this, I think I have it right at this point but am open to correction.

I would just add that some headphones respond better than others to balanced cabling, and IME these are usually the headphones that have modular connectors to facilitate an aftermarket cable.

Jack's post, 2/7/11:

"[size=medium]The WA22 is a fully balanced amp, see diagram below.[/size]

[size=medium]The question here is that this amp is not fully balanced because the "amp with a single ended output stage directly connected to the XLR connectors.” It is not true. In an Output Transformer coupled design, the primary and secondary coils are isolated. Output stage and input stage are not connected and thus no cross-talk whatsoever can happen.[/size]

[size=medium]On the ¼” output, both channels have independent paths, see the black and red wires.  If this wiring scheme applies to a Output Transformer Less design, the circuit will become single-ended. See the second diagram in #17, the v- would have to be a common wire to other channel.  One must be carefull not to take reference from the wrong context to avoid all the misunderstanding.[/size]

[size=medium]Also, no phase splitter is needed because the source is XLR (balanced). As for the RCA input, only ½ of the input is used and the efficiency is roughly dropped 50%. In other words, the RCA input will not take advantage of this design. You must use a balanced source to get the best out of the WA22.[/size]

[size=medium]Hope that clarifies.[/size]

[size=medium]-Jack"[/size]

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #22,550 of 42,298
Tea for thought ~

Though, I am without a WA22 (no one would sell, feel sorry for me yet?), I do possess a fully balanced source and re-cabled "balanced" headphones (allegedly). And would like to share my brief thoughts on the matter being discussed. Touching on DAC>Amp>Headphone.

At the heart of "Balanced" is achieving Common Mode Noise Rejection. Other than having money 
tongue_smile.gif
, that's the reason to do it, as I understand it. Also, not all balanced sources and amps are fully balanced in a traditional sense. Some use electronic wizardry. That said, my own DAC is fully balanced. However, my amp is SE. 

Despite my DAC only sending 2.6v in SE mode, I am still benefiting from my DAC's design and achieving Common Mode Noise Rejection. If the 5.2v sent is one of quality, the extra voltage will impart a more favorable sound than it would at 2.6v. And that's ok, because I am still benefiting from CMNR at this time.

Once the amp receives and maintains this signal, mission accomplished. Now, getting to, tapping into and/or outputting this signal to headphones is where imaginations tend to run wild on the subject. Headphones are not balanced - well, in name and symmetry, yes. But, DACs/Amps and headphones are two different things with two different goals and benefits.

With headphones, the goal is reduced Cross-talk and increased channel separation. And generally speaking, because there are always exceptions, XLR options tend to offer a chance at superior connections. This has nothing to do with Common Mode Noise Rejection. In my view, re-cabling headphones can yield improvements. But like running water, everyone's reality will vary.

Can any of these things be measured? Time wasted if not audibly discerned?? These questions and more make for another tea, another post on another day...

That's it! Those are my views in a tea bowl. Which, are subject to change through enlightenment. Besides, where would Head-Fi be without participation and discussion? 

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #22,551 of 42,298
Quote:
I'd like to see photos of these locking plugs. I have a w22 and don't understand how this can happen.

I had to take a time out..
I had a huge head ache after trying to sore all this out...
I have the image Woo sent me after spec drawing with a red arrow that meant nothing to me..
Here is the pic  Woo sent me for Non-locking plugs
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=NC4MX

I think these non-locking jacks are the same as a locking jack but missing the outside release..
You just push into the open space with a flat head screwdriver at the bottom of the jack and it feels just like pushing a release..
In there is a 1/4" wide piece of sheet metal in kind of a C shape and springy.. I tried removing it all together but didn't what to bugger up the jack so I just compressed downward several time.. In the pic I think the terminals are missing.. Also looks like a different brand but I am guessing thats where the outside release fits if it is used..

I need to end here before I get on a roll again..

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #22,552 of 42,298
What's up with these jacks, Jack?

Sorry I couldn't resist
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #22,557 of 42,298
Quote:
Love this picture Clayton.  I didn't know the Decware could use the 596 too.

Thanks. Yes that tube certainly elevates the Decware amps I own.
Check out these other pictures of the 5Ц8C tube and Glenn's amp.

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #22,558 of 42,298
Aug 5, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #22,559 of 42,298
Am i out of touch with pricing? Just in case any one is interested in this 274A / B.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-New-Western-Electric-274A-274B-Engraved-Bass-Rectifier-Tube-valve-NIB-U52-5U4G-/190711103636?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2c67448094

Aug 6, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #22,560 of 42,298
Quote:
Am i out of touch with pricing? Just in case any one is interested in this 274A / B.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-New-Western-Electric-274A-274B-Engraved-Bass-Rectifier-Tube-valve-NIB-U52-5U4G-/190711103636?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2c67448094

haha yea I'll be getting that right away.. 
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back