Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #22,531 of 42,298
Quote:
I just received my WA22 yesterday.

The 4 pin stereo plug is locked in the Jack..
Jack said I should have had a Non-Locking Plug for the Non-Locking Amp Jack?

I called Neutrick and spoke to two techs and both said they never heard of a non-locking plug
I searched the web last night for hours looking for one and all I found was non-locking jacks..

My opinion is Jack forgot to remove the lock on the jack and is now implying its may fault..
I'd have less of a problem removing the lock if he just said he made a mistake and asked than blaming it on me is now how I feel..

Anyone use the 4Pin XLR and have you ever heard of a Non-Locking XLR Plug?

The female XLR on the cable has the locking release mechanism on the cable itself and you should not be a issue with locking or non-locking XLR jacks . The possible problem is with the male end of the XLR cable which normally has a slot that could lock into the female plug on the amp. I hear of Audeze LCD3 users have their headphones locked into the amp and needed to take the amp apart to release the lock since the WA22 does not use locking release levers on the female XLR's on the amp. I have no idea how wide spread the problem is and if Woo made changes to their female XLR connections on the amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/575751/new-audeze-lcd3/3090#post_8048682

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #22,532 of 42,298
Woo is really starting to piss me off..
I called today and they sent an email saying staff is out of the office and can't Call..
They sent a list of what they say are non-locking Neutrick Plugs I should use.. Neutrick told today there is not such thing they know of from any maker..
Anyway the list they sent, the plug I am using is on the list..

They just sent another email as I am writing this post and said they will re-end my cable because they believe its not working... Wrong Again! Works Fine, just dosen't release.. They keep saying there is no lock on the jack but I can feel its  locked as it move in and out about a 1/16" very easy.. Its not foozen its locked in a non-locking jack??????
I'm suppose to open it up and push on the LATCH with a small pin...... Push on the latch of the latchless jack ?
Sounds like they forgot to make it latchless to me..

Just once I'd like things to go SMOOTH>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #22,533 of 42,298
This is odd. I don't have a problem using the WA22 with the 4-pin balanced neutrik cable on my LCD-3. Nothing should lock if neither end is non-locking? Try pulling and twisting the plug out. You may have put it the wrong way in causing it to get jammed.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #22,534 of 42,298
Quote:
This is odd. I don't have a problem using the WA22 with the 4-pin balanced neutrik cable on my LCD-3. Nothing should lock if neither end is non-locking? Try pulling and twisting the plug out. You may have put it the wrong way in causing it to get jammed.

I've never had an issue with either the 3pin or 4pin balanced plugs with my WA22 when I owned it. And most had locking mechanisms. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #22,535 of 42,298
Quote:
I've never had an issue with either the 3pin or 4pin balanced plugs with my WA22 when I owned it. And most had locking mechanisms. 

X2, I use Q Audio, Moon Audio, and Whiplash cables and none have any issues.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #22,537 of 42,298
Thank You All for your support, I appreciate it very much..
I had a bad week at doctors and this was the icing on the bad week..

I triple checked the plugs when I made the cable for my HD-800s
Sounds and worked well before this amp, it just doesn't release..

I'll have take time tomorrow and take the amp a part and see whats up.. It just blows my mind that a non-locking jack has a lock I need to push to release the plug according to Woo .. IMHO they forgot to disable it or didn't disable it correctly.. Neutrick told me all male plug will lock and Woo is saying I need a non-locking plug, so someone is wrong..I hope tomorrow Woo will send better info that get a thin metal pin and push on the lock

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #22,538 of 42,298
The weird thing about this is that hardly anybody else besides Neutrik makes a 4-pin XLR plug, so there just isn't much if any variation out there.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #22,539 of 42,298
Quote:
Thank You All for your support, I appreciate it very much..
I had a bad week at doctors and this was the icing on the bad week..

I triple checked the plugs when I made the cable for my HD-800s
Sounds and worked well before this amp, it just doesn't release..

I'll have take time tomorrow and take the amp a part and see whats up.. It just blows my mind that a non-locking jack has a lock I need to push to release the plug according to Woo .. IMHO they forgot to disable it or didn't disable it correctly.. Neutrick told me all male plug will lock and Woo is saying I need a non-locking plug, so someone is wrong..I hope tomorrow Woo will send better info that get a thin metal pin and push on the lock

Sorry to hear about your woes with Woo. Minor 
smiley_thumb.gif
 in the big scheme of things. Here's to your week improving dramatically outside of audio!
beerchug.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #22,540 of 42,298
I just spent an hour or so and took it a part :frowning2:

The JACK has a LOCK!
The plug has an undercut/ groove around the inside of the shell..
The Jack is plastic and has a sheet metal spring loaded lock..
As the shell gets pushed it it rocks the sheet metal lock up into the groove and locks..
I had to use a small screw driver and push in from the back in the hole area above the terminals at bottom of jack..
I unscrewed all three so I would have a better look see..

Also I thought Fully Balanced Systems has separate ground wires...
IE: ground for left and different ground for right.
All these plugs share the same ground wire..

Why don't they just use a 1/4" stereo plug?
I'm not an electrician but looking at the 1/4" plug it uses the same three wires for the balanced jacks not four wires..

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #22,541 of 42,298
Quote:

Jack said I should have had a Non-Locking Plug for the Non-Locking Amp Jack? <snip>

Hey, at least you got yours... may I ask when you ordered it? (And you got a reply from Jack too)

In anticipation of mine, I actually had a custom Q cable made that uses a Neutrik connector which does NOT have a hole as in the pic above, only a small notch on the INSIDE of the connector... I sure hope I won't run into this issue...

ADD.: Regarding the "balanced" issue, there are a couple of threads on this in general, and there was one debating the WA22 in particular and ultimately it was shown that it is indeed a fully balanced design, which is not as simple as what you describe. I'll try to find it. Either way, your connector woes notwithstanding, I hope you will get to enjoy the WA22 for its primary function: great sound!
Update: This thread, and this post in particular, by Jack.

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #22,542 of 42,298
Quote:

Also I thought Fully Balanced Systems has separate ground wires...
IE: ground for left and different ground for right.
All these plugs share the same ground wire..

The WA22 isn't actually "balanced". It's bi-amped.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 2, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #22,543 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

Jack said I should have had a Non-Locking Plug for the Non-Locking Amp Jack? <snip>

Hey, at least you got yours... may I ask when you ordered it? (And you got a reply from Jack too)

In anticipation of mine, I actually had a custom Q cable made that uses a Neutrik connector which does NOT have a hole as in the pic above, only a small notch on the INSIDE of the connector... I sure hope I won't run into this issue...

ADD.: Regarding the "balanced" issue, there are a couple of threads on this in general, and there was one debating the WA22 in particular and ultimately it was shown that it is indeed a fully balanced design, which is not as simple as what you describe. I'll try to find it. Either way, your connector woes notwithstanding, I hope you will get to enjoy the WA22 for its primary function: great sound!

The discussion (one of many, I'm sure) took place in winter of 2011, where Jack stepped in to try to explain a few things about the design he felt was misunderstood by many that was posting. Jack's reply is Post #38 on 2/7/11.

Update: It starts here in the following thread and quickly heats up: http://www.head-fi.org/t/456258/wa22-internal-pictures

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #22,544 of 42,298
I ordered mine June 13th no nothing from Jack for a week or two till I sent an email..

With only three wires running to these jacks and buying expensive cables I have to ask why not just use the stock cable..
I spent about $80 on connectors and wire and an hour or two making them and it does nothing other than look expensive, I'm thinking now..

I mean there is no need for four wires so the one 3 pin XLR connectors would work are really unneeded for that as the stock cable plug is wired the same as the AMP..
I feel like I have been sold on a cheap trick.

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #22,545 of 42,298
Quote:
I ordered mine June 13th no nothing from Jack for a week or two till I sent an email..

With only three wires running to these jacks and buying expensive cables I have to ask why not just use the stock cable..
I spent about $80 on connectors and wire and an hour or two making them and it does nothing other than look expensive, I'm thinking now..

I mean there is no need for four wires so the one 3 pin XLR connectors would work are really unneeded for that as the stock cable plug is wired the same as the AMP..
I feel like I have been sold on a cheap trick.

Since you just brought it, you can always return it.  I'm not as upset as you are, I simply buy it because of how it sound with HD800.  So far, I can't really find an amp that I prefer more than WA22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back