Whats the best Balanced Armature iem you have ever tried?
Jul 31, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #32 of 484
The Sony XBA3s were the first IEMs I've encountered that I couldn't find any immediately significant faults. They don't have the piercing treble that seems to be popular these days, however.

Quote:
FitEar To Go 334.

I hope to give a pair of these a good run soon. If they are that much better than the Sonys then BAH! for my wallet.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #35 of 484
Quote:
The Sony XBA3s were the first IEMs I've encountered that I couldn't find any immediately significant faults. They don't have the piercing treble that seems to be popular these days, however.

I hope to give a pair of these a good run soon. If they are that much better than the Sonys then BAH! for my wallet.

I'm sure there will be a pretty significant jump up over the XBA3.... I know there's a sizable gap up from the Westone 4, if that's any sort of a point of reference (don't know off hand if you've heard the Westones). And if you do find them as such, then definitely BAH! My wallet knows that right now as I'm still scrambling to sell a few items to help cover the purchase... it's a big one for IEMs. 

Good luck, look forward to what you think of them if/when you do get to give them a go for a while.

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #37 of 484
Quote:
Pfsh, customs...

I couldn't resist. Among BA universals, I really like the SM3, Westone 4 & UM3x. I could live with any of those as my only IEM. I've just recently acquired the SE535LTD with a Beat Audio Silver Sonic MKIII cable and I'm still warming up to it.

The best inexpensive BA that I own is the Meelec A161P and I recommend it very highly for the price.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for the Klipsch X5 and X10. I got them both for a total of $250 (Amazon one-day saless) and while not great, they are very comfortable and have a nice laid-back sound. At normal retail price, they are nothing special.

I've also reshelled a TF10 and  Klipsch Custom 3 with Fisher and am very happy with the results. The Custom 3 always had great sound together with bad fit and the worst cable ever. In a custom shell with a good cable, it's very nice - total outlay $230.

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #38 of 484
One more - the Sony XBA-4 is great for Trance when used with a low-impedance source like the Clip+. Not so nice for other genres.

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #39 of 484
Ety ER-4P >> (old) Shure E3c > MEElec A151.  That's all the BA's I've heard.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #40 of 484
What is a balanced armature driver? what is dynamic? how many different types of drivers are there that iem companies make? What's the difference between them all? Sorry for the newb questions, I am just curious, I have Klipsch x10i's, monoprice 8230's, klipsch s4's and I have some etymotic research hf3's coming in the mail soon, I used to love the Klipsch sound signature until I got my sennheiser hd558's now they sound like they have way too much bass and the highs don't sparkle like my sennheiser's do.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #41 of 484
Vsonic GR01. I liked the SA6 quite a bit too for a while.

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #44 of 484
For iems I think companies only make the balanced armatures and the dynamics. Its hard to describe what balanced armatures are and what dynamic drivers, but dynamic headphones are better know for bass and the balanced armatures are better know for highs and mids. Most studio iems have balanced armatures. I think etymotics make balanced armatures as well. And also I think your kilpsch have dynamic drivers, but don't count me on that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back