USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jun 6, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #4,861 of 6,195
Also, are there any devices (Android, Apple, or standalone streamers) that actually output bitperfect streams from music services like Tidal or Primephonic? I have tried so many, and none sound as good as my Android using UAPP. Most don’t even register on my DAC as being anything other than 44.1/16 regardless of the stated stream resolution.

This is all so frustrating...
Well there are all the DAPs that bypass Android SRC, from Astell&Kern, Fiio, iBasso, Shanling, Hiby… But I suspect I am not answering your question there.

As to UAPP, as you know it only supports Tidal and Qobuz, it’s too bad you can’t access the latter in Canada. I don’t gel with the Qobuz catalog but they are the best for classical by a wide margin…

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #4,862 of 6,195
Also, are there any devices (Android, Apple, or standalone streamers) that actually output bitperfect streams from music services like Tidal or Primephonic? I have tried so many, and none sound as good as my Android using UAPP. Most don’t even register on my DAC as being anything other than 44.1/16 regardless of the stated stream resolution.

Recent Fiio, Hiby and Shanling DAPs all play Tidal bitperfect (and with MQA) from the native app. Apple does not unless you use an external DAC/dongle.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #4,863 of 6,195
Recent Fiio, Hiby and Shanling DAPs all play Tidal bitperfect (and with MQA) from the native app. Apple does not unless you use an external DAC/dongle.
Well there are all the DAPs that bypass Android SRC, from Astell&Kern, Fiio, iBasso, Shanling, Hiby… But I suspect I am not answering your question there.

As to UAPP, as you know it only supports Tidal and Qobuz, it’s too bad you can’t access the latter in Canada. I don’t gel with the Qobuz catalog but they are the best for classical by a wide margin…
From my testing, Apple does not do bitperfect with an external DAC (Mscaller), nor does AK. I question whether any Android DAPs do, considering how most people just assumes they do. I was quite shocked, as was the person who owned the AK we tested, when we saw the output resolution not matching the stated resolution on the DAP.

Has anyone tested a DAP to confirm they output bitperfect? If so, please let me know.

Jun 6, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #4,864 of 6,195
From my testing, Apple does not do bitperfect with an external DAC (Mscaller), nor does AK. I question whether any Android DAPs do, considering how most people just assumes they do. I was quite shocked, as was the person who owned the AK we tested, when we saw the output resolution not matching the stated resolution on the DAP.

Has anyone tested a DAP to confirm they output bitperfect? If so, please let me know.

My comments were based on the displayed (status bar) sample rate on the recent Android DAPs that have that feature (for me this includes Fiio, Hiby and Shanling). Are you implying that the display is incorrect and misleading?

For Apple devices with external DACs, I was going by the displayed sample rate on the DAC.

In both cases, the displayed sample rate matches the track (or the unfolded MQA rate). As for A&K devices, I have always been skeptical, so no surprise.

I don't have the proper equipment to test, but adb logcat readings would also suggest bitperfect playback for the recent Fiio, Hiby and Shanling DAPs. There is no adb access for A&K, so no help there.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #4,865 of 6,195
My comments were based on the displayed (status bar) sample rate on the recent Android DAPs that have that feature (for me this includes Fiio, Hiby and Shanling). Are you implying that the display is incorrect and misleading?
For the AK and Onkyo, yes, as well as my Sony phone. (Except via UAPP, where they all matched the Mscaller bitrate)
For Apple devices with external DACs, I was going by the displayed sample rate on the DAC.
I tried my iPad today, and the Tidal displayed bitrate was not matching the Mscaller bitrate, but there was some high def. Funny, because non MQA showed higher bitrate at times where the MQA version showed 44.1 (on the Mscaller). Looks like Tidal may just use MQA for both, and what happens happens. I was worried about that.

Primephonic bitrates match the Mscaller (I was very happy to see that)?
In both cases, the displayed sample rate matches the track (or the unfolded MQA rate). As for A&K devices, I have always been skeptical, so no surprise.

I don't have the proper equipment to test, but adb logcat readings would also suggest bitperfect playback for the recent Fiio, Hiby and Shanling DAPs.
Do you happen to know which models? And do they use Android, so Primephonic could be used?

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #4,866 of 6,195

Bluesound Node can do Tidal and can output to external DAC. Works great. I have 2x Node 2is and they are releasing their new version this week I think (they went from "Node 2i" --> "Node" just to confuse us) Not into classical so not familiar with Primephonic but dont think it supports that (getting ready to sell my home so literally just packed my Node 2is away so cant check for you unfortunately).

Some on the Qobuz thread have used VPN to sign up or have done shared subscriptions. I recall you may only need vpn to sign up, not play music. May be worth checking out if you are into classical. Qobuz SQ is fantastic.

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #4,867 of 6,195
For the AK and Onkyo, yes, as well as my Sony phone. (Except via UAPP, where they all matched the Mscaller bitrate)

I tried my iPad today, and the Tidal displayed bitrate was not matching the Mscaller bitrate, but there was some high def. Funny, because non MQA showed higher bitrate at times where the MQA version showed 44.1 (on the Mscaller). Looks like Tidal may just use MQA for both, and what happens happens. I was worried about that.

Primephonic bitrates match the Mscaller (I was very happy to see that)?

Do you happen to know which models? And do they use Android, so Primephonic could be used?

Thanks!

I personally own a Fiio M11 Pro, Hiby R5, R6 Pro and R6 2020 and a Shanling M3x. All of these appear to Play Tidal bitperfect as well as unfold MQA. These specific models all display the current sample rate in the status bar which makes it easy to determine the DAC rate. I'm sure there are other brands and models that do the same, but I haven't personally used them. As I have said, most recent Android DAPs bypass forced SRC. If you are interested in a specific brand or model, we can always ask others. I don't use Primephonic so I can't comment on that.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #4,868 of 6,195
Hi guys,

I'm using UAPP with Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with an RME-ADI 2 DAC, is there a way I can control / stream to UAPP from my desktop PC?

I've heard about media servers but this is all new to me?

Thanks

Jun 7, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #4,869 of 6,195
Hi guys,

I'm using UAPP with Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with an RME-ADI 2 DAC, is there a way I can control / stream to UAPP from my desktop PC?

I've heard about media servers but this is all new to me?

Thanks

Do some research on MinimServer, which is a lightweight DLNA server. You should already be able to connect with SMB networking, as long as you share the Music library on the network. You didn't say what the OS is on your desktop.

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #4,870 of 6,195
I personally own a Fiio M11 Pro, Hiby R5, R6 Pro and R6 2020 and a Shanling M3x. All of these appear to Play Tidal bitperfect as well as unfold MQA. These specific models all display the current sample rate in the status bar which makes it easy to determine the DAC rate.
so do they match the sample rate on your external DAC when playing through Tidal and/or Primephonic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back