USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Feb 24, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #4,501 of 6,188
Ok, so....would you be so kind to try and test if drains the battery same way if you have wi-fi on or internet accsess.

Guess if its internet accsess depended it is not noticed by most people, as UAPP is used mostly by people with streaming services and you need internet on anyway. But wanted to know how it is with someone who plays local files like myself as well.
With wifi on the drain was 16%
Tomorrow i will try to play files over UPNP on UAPP and see how much battery that drains.

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #4,503 of 6,188
Hello guys. I am trying to create a playlist, similar to Roon, having a mix of local files and streaming files from either Qobuz or Tidal. Is it possible here in UAPP? If not, can you suggest on how to make playlists out of local files? Thank you.

UPDATE: Nvm, I already figured it out.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #4,504 of 6,188
When I tap the "MQA playback" option on the Pixel, I get a different popup telling me that "MQA PLayback requires bit-perfect audio..." which, of course, I don't have on the Pixel until the FC3 arrives.

Guess I'll just cool my jets until the FC3 arrives and try again.
Thought I'd circle back and thank you all for the help and advice you offered me. My Hiby FC3 USB DAC arrived to day and, sure enough, once I had it connected to my Pixel and I attempted to play an MQA file, this time UAPP prompted me with the in-app purchase for the full MQA support.

So lesson learned: apparently didn't need to buy the MQA support to use MQA files on my Hiby R6 but once I tried to use it on the Pixel, I did. Purchase has been made and all is good.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #4,506 of 6,188
Hi guys, just got the UAAP on my Ibasso DX300 and wonder what settings could I possible mangled? DSD files not do not play at all on it. It makes this unbearable hissy sounds and then just stopped altogether when a DSD song comes up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #4,507 of 6,188
Hi guys, just got the UAAP on my Ibasso DX300 and wonder what settings could I possible mangled? DSD files not do not play at all on it. It makes this unbearable hissy sounds and then just stopped altogether when a DSD song comes up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
UAPP does not support DSD on the DX300 yet

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #4,509 of 6,188
Full MQA unfloding is passed to the hardware for full MQA Decoding or Rendering. (see this article for MQA Playback explanation).

What UAPP does is, IF the device is not MQA compliant, does the software decoding resulting to the first unfold (MQA Core) resulting to 88.2 or 96 kHz.
IF the Device or attached DAC is MQA compatible, UAPP deactivates its plugin and passes the audio to the respective device for decoding.

As per explanation on UAPP's site: https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/mqa
USB Audio Player Pro includes MQA Core technology, which unfolds the MQA file once to deliver better than CD-quality. The first unfold recovers all the direct music-related information. Output is 88.2kHz or 96kHz. When a USB DAC is connected that implements an MQA renderer, further unfolding can be done by the DAC.

When a DAC is detected that implements an MQA decoder (for example, the Meridian Explorer 2 or the DAC inside certain LG models), the MQA decoder inside USB Audio Player PRO is deactivated and MQA decoding is performed by the hardware. No green or blue led will be displayed in the app in this situation.

See post 4492 for illustration. Left pic is from UAPP sending an MQA file (a 44.1Khz file w/ embedded MQA of 24/352.8Khz), second pic coming from Matrix DAC doing the full decoding (MQA 24/352).

11433768.jpg
11433769.jpg

Portable devices due to limited CPU power does only Rendering no full MQA Decoding. I am not familiar with DX300 so i don't know what it does to MQA.

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #4,510 of 6,188
Full MQA unfloding is passed to the hardware for full MQA Decoding or Rendering. (see this article for MQA Playback explanation).

What UAPP does is, IF the device is not MQA compliant, does the software decoding resulting to the first unfold (MQA Core) resulting to 88.2 or 96 kHz.
IF the Device or attached DAC is MQA compatible, UAPP deactivates its plugin and passes the audio to the respective device for decoding.

As per explanation on UAPP's site: https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/mqa
USB Audio Player Pro includes MQA Core technology, which unfolds the MQA file once to deliver better than CD-quality. The first unfold recovers all the direct music-related information. Output is 88.2kHz or 96kHz. When a USB DAC is connected that implements an MQA renderer, further unfolding can be done by the DAC.

When a DAC is detected that implements an MQA decoder (for example, the Meridian Explorer 2 or the DAC inside certain LG models), the MQA decoder inside USB Audio Player PRO is deactivated and MQA decoding is performed by the hardware. No green or blue led will be displayed in the app in this situation.

See post 4492 for illustration. Left pic is from UAPP sending an MQA file (a 44.1Khz file w/ embedded MQA of 24/352.8Khz), second pic coming from Matrix DAC doing the full decoding (MQA 24/352).

11433768.jpg
11433769.jpg

Portable devices due to limited CPU power does only Rendering no full MQA Decoding. I am not familiar with DX300 so i don't know what it does to MQA.
Nice explanatory post with visuals!

That Matrix DAC is a monster; I guess that's doing the full 8X unfolding. My Meridian Explorer2 DAC will only take those 2L MQAs to 192kHz but at that point you'd probably be hard pressed to hear any difference and nonetheless they sound spectacular anyway.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #4,511 of 6,188
Hey everyone! I've been scouring these forums for an answer for what I am seeing with MQA files in UAPP vs. TIDAL. I've seen many posts where the reported KHz in the info bar at the top of the screen is different in each app. I occasionally see a post where someone reports it is working fine for them (even on the same DAP I'm using). Obviously this is confusing, but here is an example of what UAPP reports:

UAPP_MQA_DX300.png

This is the same track in TIDAL:

TIDAL_MQA_DX300.png

This is on the iBasso DX300, but I see the same on the Shanling M8. I've tried various UAPP settings that I have seen posted, but they don't make a difference. Note that while it shouldn't matter for these DAPs, I do have the MQA add-on for UAPP.

So, am I doing something wrong? Are these DAPs just not fully supported yet?

Thanks,
TM
Marginally off topic, how do you display kHz at the top like that? Ps, great album!

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #4,513 of 6,188
Anyone have a Pixel 4a? After the latest March update mine just crashes and restarts when I try to use a DAC (tried three different ones) with UAPP. Same with Hiby. Any thoughts? (Have let the Dev know).
Just wanted to post the answer to this question from our post on the Lotoo Paw S1 thread:

From the dev:
The latest firmware update of the Pixel 4 series contains a kernel bug
that will restart your phone when an app tries to play through USB audio
using its own driver. This is not exclusive to our app, but happens to
other apps featuring their own driver as well. We reported it to our
contact at Google and they made an internal bug report of it. I do not
know the further state and when they will solve the issue. Again, this
is not something we can fix ourselves. Because of these reasons we
excluded the 4 series from the compatible devices list so people with
those devices cannot accidentally buy it anymore until the problem gets
resolved.

To use the Android USB audio driver, please disable the option 'Use USB
DAC' in the app's USB audio tweaks. To force decoding of MQA with the
Android driver, you can select the 'HiRes audio driver' in the first
option in the app's settings, but this will give lower quality than with
our own driver.

So.... hoping that there is a fix at some point!

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #4,514 of 6,188
Even more confusing, original 352, but uapp shows 44.1 khz on usb dac.

The "original 352" is fake. MQA doesn't contain any data beyond the first unfold. The "352" or whatever it shows is up-sampling. With the way a lot of ADCs work, any audio above 50 or so kHz is noise from the SD converter, so it has to be removed. Likewise, a lot of music was recorded on equipment that wasn't capable of high-res. Anything that started life on an analog tape: Forget about it. So, for the most part, the high numbers are fake because the ADCs produce noise, or, for older music, the recording just doesn't have anything above 48 kHz anyway, so can't have a sample rate higher than 88.2 or 96 kHz (with a lot at 48 kHz). This is before we consider mastering through analog equipment, DSP processing and a whole bunch of other factors.

Nope, that's totally correct. That track is a 352.8 kHz master that was encoded to 44.1 MQA. UAPP simply sends the unaltered 44.1 kHz stream to the USB DAC (if it is a full MQA decoder). The DAC does both the 1st (core) unfold and the final unfold(s).

MQA can be very confusing... :sunglasses:

The "final unfolds" have been shown, conclusively, to only be up-sampling. They now call it "MQA 8x" or "MQA 16x" since "rendering" is only up-sampling using selected digital filters.

Since I can hear an improvement in sound quality between Hifi and Master album/tracks, I'm interested to know how it works compare to DAP like R8 etc which able to 16x unfold....

I've done quite a bit of analysis of MQA tracks. Almost all the ones on TIDAL have been batch-processed through some kind of DSP. This often increases the bass, making a lot of jazz and classical sound weird. Detail seems to be lost as well, destroying the ability of our brain to sense the soundstage properly. Some MQA has had the "white glove" treatment, where someone manually processed it (such as the Beatles remasters). In those cases, they have been processed in some way that brings quieter sounds forward, giving the impression of more detail. However, they could easily have done that without any of the other nonsense, such as the DRM-containing encapsulation.

They clearly realised that if they didn't do something very audible to the tracks, that it would quickly be dismissed as pointless. Running music through a DSP was the obvious answer.

When a USB DAC is connected that implements an MQA renderer, further unfolding can be done by the DAC.
See above. You might wish to compare older versions of the MQA sites to see just how many things had to be removed from them after being shown to be false. Remember that they originally claimed the process was entirely lossless, which we found out years ago was not true?

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #4,515 of 6,188
The "original 352" is fake. MQA doesn't contain any data beyond the first unfold. The "352" or whatever it shows is up-sampling. With the way a lot of ADCs work, any audio above 50 or so kHz is noise from the SD converter, so it has to be removed. Likewise, a lot of music was recorded on equipment that wasn't capable of high-res. Anything that started life on an analog tape: Forget about it. So, for the most part, the high numbers are fake because the ADCs produce noise, or, for older music, the recording just doesn't have anything above 48 kHz anyway, so can't have a sample rate higher than 88.2 or 96 kHz (with a lot at 48 kHz). This is before we consider mastering through analog equipment, DSP processing and a whole bunch of other factors.

In this specific example (UAPP with an external DAC) the "original 352" refers to the source/master that was used prior to MQA encoding. That information is encoded into the metadata. The actual playback sample rate depends on the capabilities of the DAC and can be 2x (88.2), 4x (176.4), 8x (352.8) or even 16x (705.6). For example, the Hiby R6 2020 will show 352.8 in the app (the source rate), but display 705.6 as the final DAC rate in the status bar (16x).

I'm not disagreeing, just clarifying.

As I said, MQA can be confusing. :sunglasses:

If you really want to get even more confused, try to wrap your head around what MQA is doing with 16/44.1 (or even 24/48) masters/sources such as most of the Tidal MQA tracks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back