Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Feb 24, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #1,846 of 2,312
How do they compare to the currently yours hfi2400?

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #1,847 of 2,312
Source: Yulong D100MK2

2900 vs 2400

2900s are much more detailed and this may be perceived as being "colder" with regards to 2400 but I don't think its a fair claim. Its better to look at it as having such better overall clarity which removes the odd veil of the 2400. 

2400s have this weird sort of veil over the vocals. 2900s have better bass extension and punch, much better mids, really big soundstage due to s-logic and just overall much better sounding in every way you look at it. They are also spectacular with movies - explosions and effects are really amazing.

2900 Impressions (only 10hrs burn in though)

Bass
I am a bass head and the 2900s have quite good bass. I think I'm mildly satisfied for once. I should note its getting better quickly with burn in so maybe I should've waited longer to give impressions. Bass is now slightly punchier than the HD650s - really good amount for me.

Mids
The 2900s do sound really detailed etc, however I sold my Denon 5000s for having a lack of warmth in its recesssed midrange - I feel 2900 is missing the same sort of warmth which I prefer. This is my major complaint as I much prefer the lush midrange of my HD650s - its so warm and full sounding. The midrange is defintiely there and really detailed compared to 2400, but I personally love a warmth in the midrange which I find these really don't have. I guess that's the "house" Ultrasone sound people talk about.

Highs
Highs are not harsh, they are really good. I am sensitive to sibilance and my D100 is transparent and in my eyes a little cold and analytical. So for the highs on 2900s not to be too harsh for me that is a really great thing. 

Soundstage
Massive soundstage and detail here. It sounds very wide and you can pin point instruments etc. I put on a bluray movie, and WOW. Amazing sound effects combined with awesome bass - has to be one of the best for movies. I guess the same goes for gaming.

Overall, these are fantastic phones with great detail, big bass punch and good extension. Easily better than the 2400s in my eyes. My only complaint is they have a lack of warmth as in my HD650s. I guess that's my only complaint, but keep in mind I am a big fan of the warm, lush and smooth HD650 sound.

Side Note: I have a soon arriving La Figaro 339 with tubes and I'm curious how 2900 will sound with it. I'm hoping it will warm it up to my sound preference. I'll post impressions when it arrives.

Ok these are getting a LOT better with burn in. I think I posted a little premature - I'll edit the post if things majorly change which appears to be happening.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #1,848 of 2,312
Golotripa - Glad to hear another person is enjoying the 2900! I agree with your comparison impressions more than your initial impressions, so it would seem that "burn-in" is taking place after all (the first time I got them I wasn't focusing so much on "change over time" and the second pair I kind of just expected to sound a certain way, and they did, so I let it ride). :) Can't comment on the tubes situation, will actually be interested to see what you have to say about that. I guess I'm not as bothered by their cool-ness as you are, but certainly notice it - "lush" is not in their vocabulary.

They are especially fantastic with movies and gaming (of all the headphones I own, or have owned, they are still #1 for movies and gaming imho). If you're into that kind of thing. :D

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,849 of 2,312
I have the pro 750 now for over 2 Weeks, about 40-50 hrs both out of my phone and a vintage receiver. I need a good amp sometime but so far liking the sound more than my Beyer dt880 I used to have. The Ultrasone has a more solid and impactfull low end with a bit more meat than what would be neutral but is just enough for satisfaction. I wouldn't want any more bass. There seems to be a touch of aggression somewhere in the upper mids that adds a bit of highlight effect to certain vocals and guitars. I haven't really pinned down this effect as I don't currently have another reference headphone to compare to. I generally like this coloration except that with some Asian music is a bit too bright. Also this is more prominent through my phone than the warmer and more relaxed sound of my vintage receiver. Has anyone compared the 750 to the 2900?

Joshua

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #1,850 of 2,312
I don't mind comparing them if Golo don't mind lending me :D

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #1,852 of 2,312
In general I would probably say no - put the money you would spend on the sound card into the amp budget as well, and get something like the E9. I have no idea if that will help anything with the PRO550, but it would be a better way to spend the money over a new soundcard to act as a line driver. Alternately get a better soundcard, which includes an amp.

Again, no idea if it'd do much for the 550 though. :xf_eek:

I know with the three Ultrasone headphones I've owned, none of them seem very picky about amp pairing beyond the HFI-2400 being a *bit* on the high Z side for some devices.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #1,854 of 2,312
I was mainly wondering if the better components used in the D1/DS will make a big enough difference to justify getting them and then a dedicated amp if I feel the need for one.

IME, differences between source components are grossly exaggerated, and the ROI is disgusting. In other words, go down that rabbit hole if:

- You have lots of money.
- You like spending lots of money.

If you want to make "big changes" in the system, you're betting putting the money into upgrading your headphones, and putting the time into getting better quality media for them to reproduce. Amplification is relevant up to the point of properly driving the headphones in question, which is variable from headphone to headphone to an extent (however in recent years, a lot of amplifiers have become masters at driving a very wide range of headphones - I think as manufacturers have started to realize people collect these things). From looking at IF data, the PRO550 look to be very easily driven, but I'd confirm this with someone who actually owns them - just to be certain.

If you're wanting to fix/change something in their overall sound, the best advice I can give you (and this applies to all headphones) is to figure out exactly what you'd change, and then look for a headphone that improves upon that, assuming it's too big of a change to address via EQ or modification (or if you simply don't want to get into modification). But the arbitrary "I want to upgrade for better sound" is kind of a dangerous path to go down, because you're both setting yourself up for failure (you have no baseline and you have no goal, so it's entirely possible to spend an unholy amount of cash and still not arrive anywhere), and you're potentially buying into a lot of stuff that makes very little difference at the end of the day (or is an inefficient way of spending money towards whatever goal you may have in mind).

I'm not trying to admonish you, or your proposed purchases, just trying to provide some reasonableness.

GE actually has an entire article on this, which you might find interesting:
http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=KB_Columns&document_srl=1921

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #1,857 of 2,312
Quote:
Actually, I didn't have any "urge" to buy new equipment. I was just curious. I'm pretty happy with my 550's. The only thing I'd change about them is the crappy thin headband padding.

Buy yourself a HD650 headband from Sennheiser spares. Rip the original padding on your PRO550, and attach the new headband padding on with some velcro.

BEST thing I did to my PRO750 actually. Now that it fits much better, they don't sound as squeaky as they did, bass returned quite a lot, and the sound is just a lot less shrill / a lot better! Liking them now :)

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,858 of 2,312
Buy yourself a HD650 headband from Sennheiser spares. Rip the original padding on your PRO550, and attach the new headband padding on with some velcro.

BEST thing I did to my PRO750 actually. Now that it fits much better, they don't sound as squeaky as they did, bass returned quite a lot, and the sound is just a lot less shrill / a lot better! Liking them now :)

Wait, replacing the headband padding actually changed the sound? I'm very interested/curious about this. :)

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #1,859 of 2,312
Quote:

A great idea! Unfortunately, I don't think I can find such a thing without paying and additional 30-40 bucks just for shipping. [Insert random comment about crappy country here]

Any ideas? The only thing I found after some googling is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headband-Cushion-Comfort-pad-SENNHEISER-HD545-HD565-HD580-HD600-HD650-Headphones-/190702655747?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2c66c39903

Users who are viewing this thread

Back