Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Mar 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #1,862 of 2,311
Man that looks ugly!! But as it is stretching to fit broader headbands, you might want to give it a try. I absolutely agree that a headphone must not be uncomfortable. On the other hand I can wear these for 6 hours straight without any discomfort.

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,863 of 2,311
Quote:
Guys, would it be worth it to upgrade my Xonar DG do a DS/D1 and then spending some more on a dedicated amp for my Pro 550's? Will I be able to find a decent amp below 40-50 bucks?

I had the Xonar STX for a while. That one really has better components and a dedicated headphone amp built in. But that one cost 179 €. I sold the complete computer and switched to a laptop with built in THX sound. That is also ok for gaming and movies, but I only listen to music from my Ipod or Sony Walkman either direct or through a Meier Stepdance. Music through the STX simply was not on par with both aforementioned DAPs. And yes the PRO 550 benefits from being amped a lot like all other phones I own and have owned. Better controlled bass, smoother highs and whats most audible is that at lower listening levels, the music is much more dynamic. And if the amp is power full, you will have a cleaner sound @ higher levels. But such an amp is not available for 50$ or €. The best one is maybe the JDS Objective 2 for 144$ right now.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,864 of 2,311
I have that headband on my Monoprice, I'll se if it fits the 780's and post a pic if it does.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #1,865 of 2,311
That ebay beyer / grado / senn $12 universal headband will NOT fit on the Ultrasone HFI-780's, I assume that this style of headband the 'Sonnes use are all the same size. The snaps will not close as the plastic of the headband is too wide.

The length is good as it does not interfere with the sizers. I didn't take the stock pad off to try, but you possibly could stretch this cover a bit and make it fit. If you have someone handy with a needle and thread you could add a 1/2" wide strip of black material in between the parts that snap together. On the 1/2 " wide strip you would add 6 pairs of snaps, 6 bottoms along one edge, and 6 tops along the opposite edge on the back side.

This little expander would allow the band to fit properly, also note that the ebay band is NOT the same build quality as the beyerdynamic one, it is quite a bit thinner and feels like the snaps might pull out of the plastic eventually, but it's only $12 and is made in Thailand.
beerchug.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #1,866 of 2,311
http://www.head-fi.org/t/579875/comfort-mod-hd650-headband-padding-on-the-pro-900

Basically that. It is not the headband that improved the sound, but the better fit :wink:

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #1,867 of 2,311
I've been avoiding the Ultrasones because they're made in Taiwan for the same price as a German Beyer, don't look that great, and have controversial sound. But after getting the Pro 900's on a lightning sale, I'm pretty impressed with the overall package, and I think the metal plates look much better in person than they do in the photos. I think this company deserves more attention considering how much attention some smaller niche companies get here.

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #1,871 of 2,311
Finally got rid of that "Spring Steel" cord on my HFI-780's and that was the only issue I've ever had with their design. You just could not get the bends out of that cable. After removing that cable I can now see the reason, I don't know what the inner sheath on the wires is made of, but it is it the most non flexible plastic I have ever seen.

3.5mm jack, repurposed from a headphone extension cable and fitted to the old cable hole. Very little modification has to be done.

beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #1,875 of 2,311
I'm talking quite a bit about my initial impressions over at The Basshead Club, but suffice to say, I'm very pleased so far. 

I don't want to keep you guys in suspense any longer than necessary, and I'm sure Craig is probably wondering... Initial impressions are these are absolutely fantastic. They are giving my HE500s a run for their money and no other Headphone has ever come close to doing that. 
tongue_smile.gif

I'll go into more detail later, but so far I'm just delighted. Big fat thanks to Craig right off the top. It appears you were not only right, but perhaps even undersold it a bit, lol. Thanks.

I'm going back to listening!

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back