Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Oct 24, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #1,246 of 2,311
I have to disagree with you there - the Pro 2900s are bright and sibilant to my ears.. less than the Pro900 but still bright (uncomfortably so). Since we are both basically using the same amplification this shows how different ears perceive audio. There is a lot of competition in the 2900s price range now, Sennheiser has its momentum, Hifiman has its HE400, and AKG is bringing a very attractive looking headphone created with legendary DJ Tiesto.

Having owned the 900s and 2900s I don't think either are a must have (otherwise I wouldn't have sold them).. while I really liked the build quality of the Pro900/2900 I just didn't enjoy the audio experience that much (much less so with the 900). I did eventually purchase the Signature Pro which was leaps and bounds a better headphone in terms of audio - IMO one of the best Ultrasone offerings currently.

Yeah that is weird because to me the pro 2900s are very dull. I mean that it is more than noticeable. I have no doubt about how they sound to me. Did you get to use your sig pros before you sold the 2900s?
When I go from the 2900s to the sig pros I wince a little because its such a step up in brightness.

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #1,247 of 2,311
Taking my first venture in to the Hi-Fi world with the Pro 900's. Ordered them last night but wont have them till next week. It's killing me! 
biggrin.gif

Will be running them through a Fiio e17. Bought a pretty sexy stand too, Woo Audio HPS-RC. Might have the Edition 8's to match it one day! haha

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #1,248 of 2,311
Quote:

Having owned the 900s and 2900s I don't think either are a must have (otherwise I wouldn't have sold them).. while I really liked the build quality of the Pro900/2900 I just didn't enjoy the audio experience that much (much less so with the 900). I did eventually purchase the Signature Pro which was leaps and bounds a better headphone in terms of audio - IMO one of the best Ultrasone offerings currently.

The build quality was the only reason I was disappointed in the PRO 2900. It feels too plasticy for a $400 set of headphones.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #1,249 of 2,311
Quote:
Taking my first venture in to the Hi-Fi world with the Pro 900's. Ordered them last night but wont have them till next week. It's killing me! 
biggrin.gif

Will be running them through a Fiio e17. Bought a pretty sexy stand too, Woo Audio HPS-RC. Might have the Edition 8's to match it one day! haha

I have this setup and it works pretty well. I think you'll be quite pleased. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #1,251 of 2,311
Hmm and the 2400 is quite average-priced...

Now should I sell my Denon :S

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #1,254 of 2,311
Hey guys I finally got my first pair of nice headphones and picked the ultrasone hfi 780. They sound great but I have a problem with the clamping force. Is there a way to make it more comfortable?

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #1,255 of 2,311
Just bend them inwards. The HFI-780 has a metal strip that goes through the headband inside, which allows for stretching and compressing to adjust clamping to different head sizes.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,257 of 2,311
What many people don't realize is that despite Ultrasone using plastic on many of their models, it's a very high quality plastic, with an actual feeling of rubber coating, and build quality is stellar, better than much higher priced headphones like D7000.

Anyway, when bending, do so gradually since material temperature also comes into play.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I've read the issue as lack of clamping, which is why I said bending inwards. For excessive clamping, the headband needs to be stretched.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #1,258 of 2,311
What many people don't realize is that despite Ultrasone using plastic on many of their models, it's a very high quality plastic, with an actual feeling of rubber coating, and build quality is stellar, better than much higher priced headphones like D7000.

Anyway, when bending, do so gradually since material temperature also comes into play.

+1. I would add that on the headband, it should look like it's three separate pieces with two rubber "gaps" (the metal is under all of that). On my first 2900, that rubber did not flex, and they clamped like a nightmare. On the replacement set that rubber is flexy and soft, and they adjust just fine. My guess is this is a one-off oopsie on Ultrasone's part, not indicative of a greater problem, but something to look at while you're bending them outwards a little (bending them in will make them clamp more, push the cups somewhat "away" from each other, and yes the headband can take a lot of torque, but don't rip it apart like a dog with a bone).

Plastic doesn't mean cheap or poorly built, nor does metal mean guaranteed durability or strength. :)

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #1,259 of 2,311
Quote:

I know that but... it just FEELS cheap, ya know? =/

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #1,260 of 2,311
Quote:

I know that but... it just FEELS cheap, ya know? =/

I honestly thought it would feel cheap, but that was due to being under the assumption that plastic usually tends to be of lower quality. However, that certainly isn't the case with these, IMHO.

Also, it's very important to distinguish build quality from craftsmanship. Ultrasones in general have a lot of build quality, more than most brands, and only a few models, namely the Edition series have high craftsmanship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back