Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Oct 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,231 of 2,312
Hey, asked on the Denon thread and now its the U-friend base' turn.

If I am considering to sell my D2K, which headphone should take over the subbass headphone title? D2K's treble is already pushing my limits so I don't think the PRO900 would work for me...

Would things like PRO2900 or 2400 tick my boxes (for less $$), or you guys got any other bass-specializing headphone suggestions?

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #1,232 of 2,312
Quote:
Is pro 750 a good upgrade from my HFI-2400? many differences ( other than closed/open ) between these two cans ?    I found a good price for a used pro750 near my home and I don't known if it's a good idea to spend my money for it :D .

Tried Ultrasone pro 750 today .. Far too harsh for me and weaks a lot for a closed can . HFI-2400 fits far better to my taste. Very different sound indeed . I was very surprised.

I spent Interesting time to compare my HFI-2400 and Sennheiser HD650 while listening to various pieces of Bach through an old ( and very good) Revox CD player too.  I've heard a Grado RS2 too ... Grado's sound is definitively not for me.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #1,233 of 2,312
Quote:

If I am considering to sell my D2K, which headphone should take over the subbass headphone title? D2K's treble is already pushing my limits so I don't think the PRO900 would work for me...

Would things like PRO2900 or 2400 tick my boxes (for less $$), or you guys got any other bass-specializing headphone suggestions?

I don't know what the D2K treble is like, but if you want a headphone that isn't bright sounding, do NOT get the PRO2900.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #1,234 of 2,312

You can't go wrong with the pro 2900's. they aren't the least bit bright. I'd describe them as downright gloomy. The low end approach to their sound is very refreshing to come back to when I'm tired of my Ed 10's. They blow away my hd650's by a huge margin. I'd say for the money they are a must have. Plus they can really take a beating as far as durability goes.

But if its bass you're after I'd recommend the signature dj's. they're suppose to be extremely bass heavy.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #1,235 of 2,312
Tried Ultrasone pro 750 today .. Far too harsh for me and weaks a lot for a closed can . HFI-2400 fits far better to my taste. Very different sound indeed . I was very surprised.

This is how I felt after owning the pro750 for a while. They are very harsh, though the detail was incredible for the price. I just ordered the HFI-2200, with the aluminum plates which are said to be the same as the hfi-2400, from a member here. I cannot wait to listen to them. It'd be the third Ultrasone headphone I own. I think I can officially call myself a fanboy 
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #1,236 of 2,312

The D2000 were...well I better not continue down that line. Anyways, the 2400 and 2900 will both outshine them for bass impact, the 2900 for quality. The 2900 are brighter and will gladly drive nails on demand, the 2400 are far more forgiving (to the point of being dark). Both are quite different from the Denon sound, but neither has the nasty sibilance and boom-boom trash (oh wait, I said I *wasn't* going to continue with that bashing :p).

The 2900 would be an upgrade, the 2400 a side-grade. My advice? Try the 2400. Based on your notes on treble, I don't think an unforgiving glass-cutter is in the cards for you, and the dark and mushy 2400 might just do it (really I don't see how anyone could *hate* them, but I can understand not *loving* them either - they're a lot like hot chocolate, you can't be mad at it, even if you don't want to drink it daily).

I don't know what the D2K treble is like, but if you want a headphone that isn't bright sounding, do NOT get the PRO2900.

You can't go wrong with the pro 2900's. they aren't the least bit bright. I'd describe them as downright gloomy.

Well which is it? Are they bright or dark? :tongue_smile:

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,237 of 2,312
Well which is it? Are they bright or dark? :tongue_smile:

Ha ha ha.. Dark. My lights dim when I'm running them.
I guess it depends what you're comparing them too but I'm sticking with my "gloomy" assessment. I'd also describe them as "soft". But I'm also comparing them to "better" cans.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,238 of 2,312
Ha ha ha.. Dark. My lights dim when I'm running them.
I guess it depends what you're comparing them too but I'm sticking with my "gloomy" assessment. I'd also describe them as "soft". But I'm also comparing them to "better" cans.

Personally I'd 180* disagree with this, and say you're probably just comparing them to "brighter" and "more aggressive" cans. But that's me, and what do I know?

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #1,239 of 2,312
Personally I'd 180* disagree with this, and say you're probably just comparing them to "brighter" and "more aggressive" cans. But that's me, and what do I know?

You're absolutely right. I am comparing them to "faster" "stronger" headphones which is why I said it depends what you're comparing them too. My impressions of them wouldn't be the same as someone with divergent experiences. I am however comparing them to other ultrasones, as per the thread, namely the sig pros and Ed 10's

By the way the pro 2900's are still my favorite set of cans. They are just "right" to my ears.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #1,240 of 2,312
Quote:
You're absolutely right. I am comparing them to "faster" "stronger" headphones which is why I said it depends what you're comparing them too. My impressions of them wouldn't be the same as someone with divergent experiences. I am however comparing them to other ultrasones, as per the thread, namely the sig pros and Ed 10's
By the way the pro 2900's are still my favorite set of cans. They are just "right" to my ears.

That makes more sense. 
wink.gif
I totally agree with that last statement.

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #1,242 of 2,312
Quote:
...(really I don't see how anyone could *hate* them, but I can understand not *loving* them either - they're a lot like hot chocolate, you can't be mad at it, even if you don't want to drink it daily)...

I loved that description
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #1,243 of 2,312
Quote:
You can't go wrong with the pro 2900's. they aren't the least bit bright. I'd describe them as downright gloomy. The low end approach to their sound is very refreshing to come back to when I'm tired of my Ed 10's. They blow away my hd650's by a huge margin. I'd say for the money they are a must have. Plus they can really take a beating as far as durability goes.
But if its bass you're after I'd recommend the signature dj's. they're suppose to be extremely bass heavy.

I have to disagree with you there - the Pro 2900s are bright and sibilant to my ears.. less than the Pro900 but still bright (uncomfortably so). Since we are both basically using the same amplification this shows how different ears perceive audio. There is a lot of competition in the 2900s price range now, Sennheiser has its momentum, Hifiman has its HE400, and AKG is bringing a very attractive looking headphone created with legendary DJ Tiesto.

Having owned the 900s and 2900s I don't think either are a must have (otherwise I wouldn't have sold them).. while I really liked the build quality of the Pro900/2900 I just didn't enjoy the audio experience that much (much less so with the 900). I did eventually purchase the Signature Pro which was leaps and bounds a better headphone in terms of audio - IMO one of the best Ultrasone offerings currently.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #1,244 of 2,312
How is the brightness of pro 2900 in comparison to pro 750 for example ...  I noticed the brightness of pro900 but it was not as unpleasant to my ear than pro750

I think DT880 is a bit bright headphone too .. Is the pro 2900 even more ?

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #1,245 of 2,312
Quote:
the dark and mushy 2400 might just do it (really I don't see how anyone could *hate* them, but I can understand not *loving* them either - they're a lot like hot chocolate, you can't be mad at it, even if you don't want to drink it daily).

I completely agree whith that ( "mushy" is  maybe a bit exagerated
biggrin.gif
) ... The HFI-2400 is an "easy" can made for music (especially bass heavy music but not only ) enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back