Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Sep 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #1,053 of 2,310
Quote:
Can anyone help me with distortion?  I'm trying to figure out why my DJ1's distort some of the highs in certain songs.

It's very possible that the problem is in the songs. You say it only distorts some songs? Since the DJ1's are your most revealing headphones you might just not have noticed it with other cans.

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #1,054 of 2,310
Quote:

It's very possible that the problem is in the songs. You say it only distorts some songs? Since the DJ1's are your most revealing headphones you might just not have noticed it with other cans.

I honestly thought my ATH-m40fs were more revealing..........hmm.

Well for one, I usually play with my iPod at max volume (I know I know, it's bad), so maybe it's because of the volume?  

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #1,055 of 2,310
Quote:
Well for one, I usually play with my iPod at max volume (I know I know, it's bad), so maybe it's because of the volume?  

Do you have some kind of volume leveling enabled for music playback? If not, then some songs definitely could push your iPod headphone amplifier to distortion more easily near maximum volume than others (and some may anyway even if volume leveling is enabled) because of how the songs were recorded. That, and if the M40FS and DJ1s have different impedance and sensitivity levels, then one or the other may cause the iPod to reach its limits at a lower volume setting. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #1,056 of 2,310
Quote:

Do you have some kind of volume leveling enabled for music playback? If not, then some songs definitely could push your iPod headphone amplifier to distortion more easily near maximum volume than others (and some may anyway even if volume leveling is enabled) because of how the songs were recorded. That, and if the M40FS and DJ1s have different impedance and sensitivity levels, then one or the other may cause the iPod to reach its limits at a lower volume setting. 

What I think you're talking about is similar to the Sound Check feature on an iPod, which basically causes all the songs to play at the same volume, correct?  If so, then yes I have that turned on, and it did improve but it's not 100%.  The M40fs have a higher impedance than the DJ1's.  And what I've noticed is if a part of the song hits a very high note, it'll distort; this happens with the bass, too.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #1,057 of 2,310
Quote:

What I think you're talking about is similar to the Sound Check feature on an iPod, which basically causes all the songs to play at the same volume, correct?  If so, then yes I have that turned on, and it did improve but it's not 100%.  The M40fs have a higher impedance than the DJ1's.  And what I've noticed is if a part of the song hits a very high note, it'll distort; this happens with the bass, too.

Does this happen at lower volumes with the same song? Or only when it's cranked very high? If the latter, could be that the iPod amplifier is clipping. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,058 of 2,310
Quote:

Does this happen at lower volumes with the same song? Or only when it's cranked very high? If the latter, could be that the iPod amplifier is clipping. 

Only at max volume.  If I turn it down to...I'd say around 85%, there's no distortion.  So if the iPod's amp is clipping.....well first off what does that mean, and second would a portable amp, e.g. Fiio E17, fix the problem?

Sep 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #1,059 of 2,310
Quote:

Only at max volume.  If I turn it down to...I'd say around 85%, there's no distortion.  So if the iPod's amp is clipping.....well first off what does that mean, and second would a portable amp, e.g. Fiio E17, fix the problem?

Amp clipping is when the amp simply can't put out more volume at a/some frequencies for a speaker/headphone, and it can no longer accurately produce the wave signature. It's a terrible thing for tweeters on home audio speakers (you can destroy a tweeter with constant clipping, even if the speakers are higher rated than the amp). Not sure how damaging it is to headphone drivers. 

So yeah. A good amp will have more power and will driver the phones louder before clipping. 

I have an E17 and it's awesome. Works great, too, with my laptop since the DAC is superior to the headphone output on the laptop. If you don't need the DAC in the E17, there are cheaper options. Check out the Sub $100 and Sub $200 amp shootouts. The rankings are listed after the reviews. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #1,061 of 2,310
Love Ultrasone and their s-logic. My pro 2900s just surpassed my hd650s in my opinion. S-logic does however take some getting used to but once you do you'll have a hard time listening to anything else.
I just sent out my Ed 10s for a recable and I'm already missing them.

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,062 of 2,310
Looks like I'm going to need to save up some cash :) Thanks for the help.
I'd save up a go for the fostex hp-p1. It's definitely worth the extra coin and if you ever upgrade your headphones you'll still have a viable portable rig.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #1,064 of 2,310
Quote:

o.O audiophilia's more expensive than I thought lol.  The DJ1's are the most expensive cans I have.

I would think you'd be happy with the FiiO E11 if you just need a headphone amp. ClieOS rated it comparable to the E17, and it's only $53 on Amazon.  

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #1,065 of 2,310
 o.O audiophilia's more expensive than I thought lol.  The DJ1's are the most expensive cans I have.
BEWARE!!!! This is potentially an extremely expensive hobby but one of the most satisfying. People will not understand your excitement and passion.
That being said, if you're just gonna stay with the dj1s then get the FiiO. In my opinion though I'd go with a better more versatile amp/DAC because if you have the bug then you're gonna be upgrading and tweaking everything.
It's not about how much you spent on this or that. In my opinion it's about the attention to detail and the research and bringing it all together to create something unique to you and for you.
Don't forget to start converting all your music to an uncompressed version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back