Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Jun 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #931 of 2,312
wow thanks, havent had it explained like that before, and its starting to make a lot more sense on what the differences are! thing is im not looking for the competitive edge as itll be mainly single player gaming, so im just looking for something that is more 'fun' and something that will immerse me more in the game. for whatever reason, logically i would think that if a headphone can draw on the outer-edges better then it will give me a bigger depth of field. and for gaming (especially if i want the movie theatre feeling) i would assume that that would matter more than sounds appearing really close to me and expanding.

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #932 of 2,312
I dont know if the HFI 2400 can in any way be compared to the Pro 900, but the Pro 900 is at least miles ahead of the K701 in terms of enjoyment and about the same in terms of competitiveness.

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #933 of 2,312
I have ultrasone hfi-450s, but I am not sure if I really like them. They aren't the most comfortable headphones. I get headaches and sleepiness after justa few minutes of use and i am having bass and volume issues. Also, they don't sound that great for the $80 I paid. I hope other ultrasones are better.

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #934 of 2,312
wow thanks, havent had it explained like that before, and its starting to make a lot more sense on what the differences are! thing is im not looking for the competitive edge as itll be mainly single player gaming, so im just looking for something that is more 'fun' and something that will immerse me more in the game. for whatever reason, logically i would think that if a headphone can draw on the outer-edges better then it will give me a bigger depth of field. and for gaming (especially if i want the movie theatre feeling) i would assume that that would matter more than sounds appearing really close to me and expanding.

The 701 can do that "big movie theater sound" alright. You might also look at the Denon 2ks as they close out; they're probably a decent in-between for the other two cans.

Jay,

That's a bad sign. The headache/sleepiness that is. That's way too clampy. Like way way too clampy.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #935 of 2,312
Quote:

Quote:
The 701 can do that "big movie theater sound" alright. You might also look at the Denon 2ks as they close out; they're probably a decent in-between for the other two cans.
Jay,
That's a bad sign. The headache/sleepiness that is. That's way too clampy. Like way way too clampy.

This I can contribute. I've had time comparing the AKG and the Denon and the 701s are far too serious, far too analytical. Something fun? Ultrasone/Denon definitely! Tight punchy Bruce Bass - Ultrasone, Powerful, slower decaying Chuck Bass -> Denon

I only had the DJ1 for a while before upgrading to the D2K. My guess would be for competitive gaming 701 >= Ultrasone HFI2400 > Denon because the Denon has a slower decay in bass. MarkL mods help but yeah.

And for fun, for impact esp explosions, it would be a Denon >= HFI2400 >> 701, and the Denon preference is biased :wink:

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #936 of 2,312
Quote:
I dont know if the HFI 2400 can in any way be compared to the Pro 900, but the Pro 900 is at least miles ahead of the K701 in terms of enjoyment and about the same in terms of competitiveness.

I think its relative... I enjoyed the Q701 over the Pro900 (by a considerable margin).. On the other hand I preferred the Pro2900 over the Q.

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #937 of 2,312
Read some very good things about Ultrasones.  What model Ultrasone do think is the best all around headphone for Music, Movies, i dont want overpowering bass, but i do want to hear it.  Im thinking Ultrasone pro 750, Ultrasone HFI 2400s, i have about $300 to spend, im equally into music, Stones, Zepplin, Blondie, Plimsouls, and into Blu ray movies, thanks guys.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #939 of 2,312
It's not normal:
pro 900 and pro 2900 are similar and q 701 is a totally different sound.
You prefer 2900, ok.
I prefer 900 (but i ear only electronic music).
But q 701 for electronic, like k 701 are'nt a good joke.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #940 of 2,312
Quote:
I think its relative... I enjoyed the Q701 over the Pro900 (by a considerable margin).. On the other hand I preferred the Pro2900 over the Q.

I guess it's a matter of preference then. I like feeling the audio when I'm gaming, not just hearing it. Nothing tops explosions on the Pro 900. And the K701 is just very bad at explosions, it's unfair to even compare the two. My X-Fi Titanium HD emulates the huge sound stage for the Pro 900 very well when gaming, the K701 doesn't have an advantage there.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #945 of 2,312
Quote:
It's not normal:
pro 900 and pro 2900 are similar and q 701 is a totally different sound.
You prefer 2900, ok.
I prefer 900 (but i ear only electronic music).
But q 701 for electronic, like k 701 are'nt a good joke.

I never said that the Q701 and Pro 900/2900 were similar in sound, I just stated a preference. I listen to mostly electronic and electronic oriented lounge music music as well and the Q701 sounds much more natural compared to the 900. As MuppetFace mentioned the Pro900 is very metallic and colored, for me the 2900 was a little more natural and why I liked it better than the Q701.

I noticed there was a comment about gaming... for gaming and movies nothing beat the sound my my D7000s. I know that may not be a fair comparison (as its more expensive), but I imagine that the less expensive D5000/D2000 would also be good as Denons DX000 tend to have excellent soundstage - which is important for movies and games.

Having owned a few Ultrasone headphones throughout my audio journey, I was never really that impressed with any of the offerings until I reached the Signature Pro, which was a excellent headphone in all respects. That said, I have never tried the HFI series so can't comment on that lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back