Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Apr 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #796 of 2,310
A good amp will qualify the bass, make it more controlled and substantial. This is something a bass boost will never do. Whenever I switch from Ipod Classic 120 GB to Ipod > Meier Stepdance > PRO 550 I simply get blown away by the increased bass quality and power, not by added loudness.

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #797 of 2,310

Quote:
A good amp will qualify the bass, make it more controlled and substantial. This is something a bass boost will never do. Whenever I switch from Ipod Classic 120 GB to Ipod > Meier Stepdance > PRO 550 I simply get blown away by the increased bass quality and power, not by added loudness.

The EQ on the iphone was turned off and on... both did a better job then the FiiO E11 with Ultrasone DJ1 Pros.

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #798 of 2,310
Well guess I'm part of this roll call now. Just got a pair of Edition 8 Ruthies today and I think I am in love. I was taken back at first because it almost seemed like the right side was messed up. Then I wore it backwards and the now right side that was actually the left sounded messed up while the other one sounded fine. After some adjusting, finally got it to sit on my head to make it sound right. Pretty impressed to say the least. The first I noticed was that sound stage seems to be quite big. Going back to enjoying the headphones so going to cut this post short 
L3000.gif

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #799 of 2,310
I have the Pro 750's powered by the E11

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #800 of 2,310

Quote:
I have the Pro 750's powered by the E11

The DJ 1 Pro and Pro 750 are much too different for me to wonder if I somehow decieved myself but how does the 750/E11 combo work for you?

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #801 of 2,310
I use to have a FiiO E5 with the DJ1 and I liked the change. Fact was DJ1 was a bit too big for my head, and I needed the bass boost from the FiiO to receive about the same amount of bass.

I liked it though

Apr 14, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #802 of 2,310
I had the Fiio 7 for some weeks. I returned it because it was not adding any benefit to the sound and even the amplification was not big.

Apr 14, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #805 of 2,310
I think its not a bad idea to get off the Fiio train and try out some tube amps, they do wonders with the ultrasones, I couldn't stand them out of solid state amps.

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #806 of 2,310
I think its not a bad idea to get off the Fiio train and try out some tube amps, they do wonders with the ultrasones, I couldn't stand them out of solid state amps.

I thought ultrasone cans have low impedance tho. What is their z?

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #807 of 2,310
they do have low impedance, tube amps don't just increase volume (i.e. amplify) they add warmth and depth (something I always felt lacking with the ultrasones) a good DAC always helps, but when I plug in my Signature Pros into my WA6SE is audio bliss..

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #808 of 2,310

Quote:
they do have low impedance, tube amps don't just increase volume (i.e. amplify) they add warmth and depth (something I always felt lacking with the ultrasones) a good DAC always helps, but when I plug in my Signature Pros into my WA6SE is audio bliss..

I have to ask you, since you and me both own the Klipsch S4. Do you find them to be bad? I've seen some very negative reactions to them on head-fi, but I can't say I agree with them. I know you've owned your fair share of headphones and I'd like to hear your impressions.

Do you dislike them, or are you like me, find them to be a pretty good pair of IEMs (especially considering the price)?

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #809 of 2,310

Quote:
The DJ 1 Pro and Pro 750 are much too different for me to wonder if I somehow decieved myself but how does the 750/E11 combo work for you?

well it's hard to say...some days I love it and some days I want to return the 750 and see what else is out there.  Last night was one of those nights.  The E11 does help with volume and bass, as Ultrasone most def needs amping.  Sometimes I just think for what I paid for them I could play around with some other headphones.

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #810 of 2,310

Quote:
well it's hard to say...some days I love it and some days I want to return the 750 and see what else is out there.  Last night was one of those nights.  The E11 does help with volume and bass, as Ultrasone most def needs amping.  Sometimes I just think for what I paid for them I could play around with some other headphones.

I don't know if this is true for the 750, but I think for the Pro 900, you'd have to own some other headphones as well. The Pro 900 are my favorite pair of headphones, but I'd go nuts if I had to listen to music through them all the time. I find the D2000 to compliment my Pro 900 quite well - they're like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. The D2000 is Dr Jekyll, the nice doctor that is good for you, that actually makes you feel well, much like a real doctor. Very few flaws and almost perfected to a degree of boredom. Then Mr Hyde comes along. The Pro 900 has attitude, almost to a degree of being dangerous. Still you can't really distance yourself from them. When the D2000 is done with you, you're bored but healed. Then the Pro 900 takes over and beats you over and over again until it's time for the nice Dr to heal you up once again. (LOL)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back