Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Feb 3, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #648 of 2,312
Quote: Originally Posted by curtisinoc That's what I read and understand and the reason I'm leaning towards the Blue Dragons. very interested in your review of them.

Will do. I will probably order them in the next few days. Do these screw in or just plug into the headphones?

Also, did u ever find out if the cable is compatible with any other headphones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #649 of 2,312

Quote:
Will do. I will probably order them in the next few days. Do these screw in or just plug into the headphones?
Also, did u ever find out if the cable is compatible with any other headphones?

i didn't find out.

Yea it just plugs in , no screwing, the screw part of the plug is just an extended jack.  But it fits snuggly into to plug, it doesn't fall out or anything.  makes it easier to pack up too, you just unplug the cable, instead unscrew unscrew.

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #650 of 2,312
Quote: Originally Posted by curtisinoc Will do. I will probably order them in the next few days. Do these screw in or just plug into the headphones? Also, did u ever find out if the cable is compatible with any other headphones? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk i didn't find out. Yea it just plugs in , no screwing, the screw part of the plug is just an extended jack. But it fits snuggly into to plug, it doesn't fall out or anything. makes it easier to pack up too, you just unplug the cable, instead unscrew unscrew.

Okay, thanks.

I was wondering how snug it fit / locked into the headphone without the threading. Since there isn't any threads to screw in, you would think that it would be compatible with at least a few other headphones with an 1/8" plug?? Did you email the question to moon audio?

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #651 of 2,312

Quote:
Okay, thanks.
I was wondering how snug it fit / locked into the headphone without the threading. Since there isn't any threads to screw in, you would think that it would be compatible with at least a few other headphones with an 1/8" plug?? Did you email the question to moon audio?

not yet, i haven't really decided on buying another ultrasone yet either.

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #652 of 2,312
Well I suppose this is a good place to make my first post (been reading the forums on and off for awhile but never actually posted).  I've had the older style DJ1's for a good few years now, they were my first decent headphones.  My favorites by far though are a much more recent purchase, the HFI-2400's.  I probably wear them at least 5 hours a day at work plugged into a Fiio e7 and my work PC.  I thought I was done after that but some looking around and reading reviews and now I'd love to get a set of Pro 900's. I'm waiting for the price to come back down though, I know at least Amazon used to offer them around 350 but they're currently far higher.  There's a few other headphones I'd love to try but they aren't Ultrasones so I'll leave those unmentioned.  I have a feeling this place is going to prove quite dangerous to my wallet over time. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #653 of 2,312
*Roll Call*
Reporting in :D

HFI 580 here :D

Well I suppose this is a good place to make my first post (been reading the forums on and off for awhile but never actually posted).  I've had the older style DJ1's for a good few years now, they were my first decent headphones.  My favorites by far though are a much more recent purchase, the HFI-2400's.  I probably wear them at least 5 hours a day at work plugged into a Fiio e7 and my work PC.  I thought I was done after that but some looking around and reading reviews and now I'd love to get a set of Pro 900's. I'm waiting for the price to come back down though, I know at least Amazon used to offer them around 350 but they're currently far higher.  There's a few other headphones I'd love to try but they aren't Ultrasones so I'll leave those unmentioned.  I have a feeling this place is going to prove quite dangerous to my wallet over time. 
biggrin.gif

As the saying goes, and as you are a new member; here:
"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your Wallet!"  
gs1000.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #654 of 2,312

Quote:
biggrin.gif

whats your take on the pro 2900?

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #655 of 2,312

Quote:
whats your take on the pro 2900?

I honestly couldn't tell you, I've never heard them.  I guess I would still be considered a noob for the most part, had the DJ1's for quite some time, then bought some Sennheiser HD555's during a big sale on Amazon and discovered the kind of soundstage that was possible with an open headphone for the first time.  Picked up a Fiio e7 since the onboard sound on my work PC is awful, was hoping that would help with the lack of bass on the HD555's but I still wasn't satisfied with their low end.  That quickly led to a search for something open but with more bass and after my experience with the DJ1's and reading many reviews of Ultrasone's other models (at the time I couldn't find any reviews of the HFI-2400's) decided to take the jump and try them.  Been loving them ever since but they're my first foray into this range (higher end? mid-end? not sure).

bowei006 thanks for the welcome!

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #656 of 2,312

Quote:
I honestly couldn't tell you, I've never heard them.  I guess I would still be considered a noob for the most part, had the DJ1's for quite some time, then bought some Sennheiser HD555's during a big sale on Amazon and discovered the kind of soundstage that was possible with an open headphone for the first time.  Picked up a Fiio e7 since the onboard sound on my work PC is awful, was hoping that would help with the lack of bass on the HD555's but I still wasn't satisfied with their low end.  That quickly led to a search for something open but with more bass and after my experience with the DJ1's and reading many reviews of Ultrasone's other models (at the time I couldn't find any reviews of the HFI-2400's) decided to take the jump and try them.  Been loving them ever since but they're my first foray into this range (higher end? mid-end? not sure).

bowei006 thanks for the welcome!

sorry, i was vague.  I meant what is your take on buying them, since you are thinking pro 900, and own hifi 2400, i would assume pro 2900 would be in there somewhere as an option you may have thought of.  i haven't heard them either.  you looking at a closed sound? you said you like the open sound of the 2400.  im just making conversation, and wondering your thoughts about the pro 2900, since you have both a closed and open ultrasone.  i don't own an open ultrasone and never heard one.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #657 of 2,312

Quote:
sorry, i was vague.  I meant what is your take on buying them, since you are thinking pro 900, and own hifi 2400, i would assume pro 2900 would be in there somewhere as an option you may have thought of.  i haven't heard them either.  you looking at a closed sound? you said you like the open sound of the 2400.  im just making conversation, and wondering your thoughts about the pro 2900, since you have both a closed and open ultrasone.  i don't own an open ultrasone and never heard one.

Ah, completely misunderstood what you were going for there.  I had considered the pro 2900 when I initially ended up going with the hfi 2400's but they were out of the price range I was willing to spend at the time.  Now that I have the 2400's I'm not looking specifically for closed or open in my next set, just something interesting that I'll hopefully enjoy and provide a different experience to the hfi-2400's.  Everything I've read on here about the pro 900's and the bass experience with them is what really piqued my interest in them.  I listen to a bit of everything but EDM and harder rock/metal are two big listening categories for me which the 900's are supposedly amazing for.  

I really do need to pull out my DJ1's and give them a good listen again, it's been quite awhile since I've used them.  I think the 2400's eclipse them for me by far but given the price ranges that's really not a fair comparison for the DJ1's.  Currently I think it's been too long since I've listened to them for me to give any worthwhile comparison of the two.  Based purely on my assumptions from looking at Ultrasone's lineup I get the impression that the pro 2900's would be a step up from the hfi-2400's, if that's actually true then I'm sure I'd love them.  Take that with a grain of salt though, my knowledge level in this area is not high and we all know the saying about assuming.  I can say that I thought the 2400's were a little more than what I really wanted to spend on headphones when I got them and after getting them I don't regret it one bit.  I think they were worth every penny and then some.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #658 of 2,312

Quote:
Ah, completely misunderstood what you were going for there.  I had considered the pro 2900 when I initially ended up going with the hfi 2400's but they were out of the price range I was willing to spend at the time.  Now that I have the 2400's I'm not looking specifically for closed or open in my next set, just something interesting that I'll hopefully enjoy and provide a different experience to the hfi-2400's.  Everything I've read on here about the pro 900's and the bass experience with them is what really piqued my interest in them.  I listen to a bit of everything but EDM and harder rock/metal are two big listening categories for me which the 900's are supposedly amazing for.  

I really do need to pull out my DJ1's and give them a good listen again, it's been quite awhile since I've used them.  I think the 2400's eclipse them for me by far but given the price ranges that's really not a fair comparison for the DJ1's.  Currently I think it's been too long since I've listened to them for me to give any worthwhile comparison of the two.  Based purely on my assumptions from looking at Ultrasone's lineup I get the impression that the pro 2900's would be a step up from the hfi-2400's, if that's actually true then I'm sure I'd love them.  Take that with a grain of salt though, my knowledge level in this area is not high and we all know the saying about assuming.  I can say that I thought the 2400's were a little more than what I really wanted to spend on headphones when I got them and after getting them I don't regret it one bit.  I think they were worth every penny and then some.

The bass on the 2900s are much more impressive than the pro 900 in my opinion, it has almost as much impact, goes deeper and feels airier cause its a open can. I think it actually does everything the 900s do but better, and the 2900s are less sibilant and colored compared to 900. If you're thinking about the pro line and willing to spend a little extra the 2900s are  a no brainer. If you want to spend even more there is always the signature pro, I haven't heard that one yet (but its on order, I should hopefully have my pair soon).

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #659 of 2,312
I'm not all that great at describing things but making the jump from the 2200 to the 2900 made me fall in love with Ultrasones all over again. I've only used open Ultrasones 15g, 2200, 2900 (in that order) and each progression up made my jaw drop everytime. But between the 2900 and the 2200, you get more refinement and a tighter bass control and less sibilance over the the 2200. Even though the 2900 is my end game, I could never see myself getting rid of the 2200 (or the 15g for that matter).

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #660 of 2,312
The PRO2900 is less sibilant than the HFI2200 ....?

Most HFI2200 owners I've met have described the HFI2200 is one of the smoothest, most forgiving of all Ultrasone's models past and present. I personally find the 2900 to be much, much harsher than the HFI2200. More detailed yes, but also much harsher and more sibilant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back