Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Aug 15, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #2,147 of 2,311
Hi all, i am new here. Got my 680 for a while now. Loving it. Thining of getter either the pro550 or pro750? Which one is actually brighter? By a lot?

Also any desktop amps recommendation for both the 680 and 550/750?

I mainly use them for listening to music. All sorts.

Thanks a lot

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #2,148 of 2,311
Good timing. I 've got a 680 also.

From memory I figured that the Pro2500 would be close to the 680 in resolving details and transparency, but honestly no kidding when I did a direct A/B with them, well the Pro2500 came across as just OK, and seemed to be an obvious amount behind the 680.
Pro2500 ( not Pro-line older series , but basically same thing ) sounded less distinct, edges of notes were far harder to place, bass was looser, things sounded a bit muddy.
Plus 2500 had some definite recession through the middle areas.
I thought to myself what the heck I remember the 2500 being more "upgrade" than this...
it is a well burned in set, and even had the special Kee's mod here where I used 2 1cm squares of 30D 1/10 inch Sorbothane on each of the baffle plates to tighten things up and add some clarity even.
Perhaps on someone's first listen, without a direct A/B between the two it might fare better. Really though 680 makes them seem just average in comparison.
**** I really dislike shrill highs I should add, right at the borderline of that is tolerable, but anything sibilant is a no-go. Just saying that because the 680 , even though I say are above the 2500, are still not ear shredders at all.

Now I know the 2500 is not the 750, so thinking that I placed my hands up to the cups to block the rears as much as possible to mimic the effect of it being closed like it's direct closed equivalent brother the 750's. Still didn't hold a candle to the 680 from what I directly heard.
Sure overall sound was brought forward some more  but still, rather slightly above average and not standout.

the transparency and layering of the 680, the complete blank/black space between notes, the gorgeous low end, the width and 3d effect is just nuts.
Plus from what I read and can hear there is no real or overtly obvious mids recession.
So things are more obvious, it's just so clean.
Not finding shrill at all.
The detailed transparency I guess doesn't seem to come from artificially inflated or sounding highs, it's just clean with incredible space between notes etc etc., and it through the entire range lows to highs also.
 In fact Dave Rat , if you had not seen, did a test of a pile of things for LIVE SOUND monitoring/reproduction/whatever, and these he said in his notes ( vs a few other Ultrasones also the 580/780 ) the 680 were "tonally close" with most things crossed off the list. ( videos on youtube also )
http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/archives/369-The-Mighty-Headphone-Quest-Part-7.html
and after the big test the 680 came 2nd place with the Denon AH-D2000.

Got a disgusting amount of headphones here, and these are right at the top of the heap for me.
Could the S-logic PLUS have improved the sound results so much vs the older S-logic, no idea, but the baffle holes are very much different.

680 is a stunning headphone for me, I've not heard anything like it.
That's even comparing  to modded headphones stuffed with Twaron Angelhair. Maybe one of those mods might come close in it's effects, maybe.

Had toyed with the idea of a 750 lots of times, but after my half-arsed Pro2500 rear cup blockage, even if it approximates the actual 750 sound, it's just too lacking for me.

****I'd suggest  finding a place with a good return policy for you to try the 550 or 750 out, and factoring in the break-in period the 750 titaniums are commonly held to need ( I did experience on the 2500 but no matter ) compare the 680 to them.
My guess is that for all sorts of tunes you'd want something without an obvious mid range pushback, less V shaped sound(?)

Only your ears can tell you that though, mine tell me I wouldn't bother with a 750. It's not even on my radar anymore.
Don't underestimate the 680, though you might have to hear a few other things to solidify that .

Wow long winded post here, sorry to blab on.
Hope someone else can add some useful info for you , not sure if that helped you any.

P.S> another person I know in here will be getting a 680 soon, will see if they can add in their impressions also.

~N

EDIT = I would consider the Pro 2900 along the same lines/more-or-less interchangably as the above Pro 2500 ( minor differences ), had those for a while also at the same time as the 2500.

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #2,149 of 2,311
  Got a disgusting amount of headphones here, and these are right at the top of the heap for me.
Could the S-logic PLUS have improved the sound results so much vs the older S-logic, no idea, but the baffle holes are very much different.

680 is a stunning headphone for me, I've not heard anything like it.
That's even comparing  to modded headphones stuffed with Twaron Angelhair. Maybe one of those mods might come close in it's effects, maybe.

I'm familiar with your disgusting amount of headphones, and I know how good they are. So if the 680's are at the top of the heap, then...

P.S> another person I know in here will be getting a 680 soon, will see if they can add in their impressions also.

I can't wait to get them! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #2,150 of 2,311
well don't forget my "will-buy-them-from-you-if-for-some-odd-reason-don't-vibe-to-them-sight-unseen-no-questions-asked " offer.

Though of course I will judge heavily.

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #2,151 of 2,311
  well don't forget my "will-buy-them-from-you-if-for-some-odd-reason-don't-vibe-to-them-sight-unseen-no-questions-asked " offer.

I appreciate it, but I forgot it very quickly because I'm sure that I'm going to love them :)

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #2,152 of 2,311

^ back to the initial question.

Anybody got a good recommendation for a desktop amp for kkmkk?
Mine are too hard to find and likely bigger than they would want, so can't recommend anything myself.

I suppose kkmkk if you had a certain budget amount you would like to stay under post that up .

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #2,153 of 2,311
Thanks. My budget at the moment is around 200. I will have to save up for anything higher.

That said, between 550/750, i read that 550 is the darker. Know nothing else. A friend a able to get these for me. So my choice is between these for now. Thanks a lot.

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #2,154 of 2,311
Hey, 

Which of the ultrasone cans are best for bass in terms of punchy and boomy? I own Oppo PM-3 which has an interesting bass, but I find it more suitable for Hip-Hop/Rap genres.

EDIT: Forget to mention that I have the HA-2 AMP/DAC

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #2,155 of 2,311
  Hey, 

Which of the ultrasone cans are best for bass in terms of punchy and boomy? I own Oppo PM-3 which has an interesting bass, but I find it more suitable for Hip-Hop/Rap genres.

EDIT: Forget to mention that I have the HA-2 AMP/DAC

The pro900 is best for bass. If you want something cheaper the hfi-580 / DJ1 also have great bass. If you want to go higher up the sig dj is great, not quite as bassy as the pro900 but better sounding overall.

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #2,156 of 2,311
Hi all, i am new here. Got my 680 for a while now. Loving it. Thining of getter either the pro550 or pro750? Which one is actually brighter? By a lot?

I mainly use them for listening to music. All sorts.

Thanks a lot

The 750 is the brighter sounding model, i wouldnt say its a lot brighter but its noticeable if you compare them.

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #2,159 of 2,311

Good to see you again around here! 

Have you tried Performance 880 headphones? I'm particularly curious on how they compare to Dj one pro 
biggrin.gif

I tried them briefly but they were way too sibilant for my tastes, i also didnt find them very comfortable. Its hard to make a comparison based on my brief listen but i will say theyre a lot brighter and the mids sounded more present, i found the mids on the dj one pro to be a bit too recessed.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #2,160 of 2,311
Just got the hfi 680 in, and playing off of S5/uapp/zuperdac. Apparently they already have approx 300 hours on them, so well burned in. I must say that they are sounding rather awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back