Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Feb 26, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #2,087 of 2,312
Mar 5, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #2,089 of 2,312
Pro 900's.  Simply the finest overall headphone I ever owned.  (The mids and highs might be more transparent on the 650/600's, but what that gives the Bass comparison takes away.  It's easier to tweak the response with the FiiO than live without the Bass on the Senns.....)  Which has included Sennheiser 650/600/580/560's and a pile vintage Pioneer's and Koss's.  (And, a set of earlier beats, not as bad as some people make out, but not the be all and end all either.)  I have been thinking about a set of Sennheiser 800's or 700's but the price just seems completely punitive.  I use the headphone outputs of vintage gear (Pioneer SA-9500II) to power Headphones at home. There was a time when home audio wasn't as headphone underpowered, at least not as underpowered as they are now.  It drives both the Senns and the Pro 900 just fine.  (For that matter, so does my Pioneer CT-93, Dragon, RX-505 or any one of three CT-F1250's, an Oppo 105 or Denon DCD-A100)  But I do have a FiiO Alpen E17 (and the docking Station) and a Ray Samuels P-51 for portables and laptops.  

I've been to the Can fest in Charlotte for the past several years, and got to hear a bunch of the "audiophile" favorites and most of them leave me just a bit underwhelmed.  (Denons, Grados, and those squonky looking Sony's, I never had luck with Sony's in terms of long term reliability anyway...)  I actually prefer the "speaker" like perspective of the 900's.  Our ears are MOST sensitive around the frequency of our voices (1khz, give or take) and that means that THAT frequency is the one we can tolerate high SPL's the LEAST.  So contrary to the usual narrative, I'm okay with a (slight) recess in upper base/midrange.  I keep looking for an upgrade, but I never seem to find one that hits the "quality" and "price point" in a manner that makes me pull the trigger.  To be fair, I have NOT heard a set of 800's or 700's yet.  I'm thinking seriously about a second set of 900's.  If it's not broke, don't fix it. I picked up a pair of V-MODA M-100's recently and they're quite nice, but no serious challenge to the Pro 900's (IMO....) Especially if you factor in price. Just my two cents.  YMMV.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #2,090 of 2,312

My first Ultrasone is a HFI-680!! Still burning in but so far happy with the clarity and detail!! Got this at only 70SGD(~60USD) as someone was selling them after being kept for more than 9 months. He's selling another HFI-580 at only 50SGD(40USD) in unused condition with box. Amazing price, for Singapore buyers :)

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #2,091 of 2,312

My first Ultrasone is a HFI-680!! Still burning in but so far happy with the clarity and detail!! Got this at only 70SGD(~60USD) as someone was selling them after being kept for more than 9 months. He's selling another HFI-580 at only 50SGD(40USD) in unused condition with box. Amazing price, for Singapore buyers :)

Congrats!
Welcome to the Club.

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #2,093 of 2,312
Arghh this thing is fantastic!!!!!! Music has never been more alive. The sparkle of the treble is irresistible. Compared to my t1-e the 680 has significantly lower sub-bass but the rest of the spectrum is so much better. The cans are so good I'm actually finding it hard to enjoy my earphones :frowning2: the earphones lack the sparkle and mid-range compared to the 680s. I'm always on them at home!!! Extremely delighted with my purchase :)

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #2,095 of 2,312
  Is ED8 the best pair among ultrasone series for metal? Gotta try them someday.

for metal music?

i would put my money down for signature dj. more bass, soundstage, treble was kind of more sparkled, i preffered the sound overall. 

on second thought ed8 had a little faster attack and decay.

i guess that only after giving them a serious listen you can say if it is the best for You for metal.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #2,096 of 2,312
How is the comfort on the ~$250 Ultrasones? Pro 550 vs HFI 780 vs DJ pro? They interest me because they look great, are portable, have detachable cables (some), and most importantly sound great. I just don't know about the comfort.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #2,099 of 2,312
  I put the new HM5 thick memory foam ear pads on my HFI-780's, they add a lot of comfort over the stock pads.

This cannot work with the ultrasone models that have round pads, like dj one pro. But will work with dj one and with signature dj. 

I am looking for something that would work, the mechanism of the pads is something that could had been used with at least one more headphone, i would love new, deeper pads.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #2,100 of 2,312
Yeah the HM5 pads are almost a prerequisite for all mobile headphones. How's the top of the headband feel? The one thing I don't like about the 780's is the the non removable cable, but I can change that easily.

Any other solid contenders for the the price? $250 and less for 40mm gold plated drivers seems like the best bang for the buck model that they make considering the materials used. Also, why does it seem Ultrasone is hard to find information about? Are they really that underrated?

Edit again: also is that aluminum? I assume that's why reviews say it's heavy? How's the rest of the construction since it looks fairly plastic-y?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back