Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Nov 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #1,367 of 2,312
Quote:
... My fear though, is that they'd turn out looking like Mezze headphones ...

You don't like those, I think they look great!
I was thinking more of the exact same cup as the current HFI series possibly with a little thicker base.
Definitely would have to be made in two pieces, a bottom oval with a cup part attached, then sanded and lacquered as one piece.

I shall look into this with the father in law who has an older wood lathe, but I'm thinking a metal lathe would give a more precise build as the base is not very thick.
beerchug.gif

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #1,368 of 2,312
You don't like those, I think they look great!

Eh, they're okay looking, but they don't stack up to the ATH-W or ESW series, Grado RS or GS series, or the Edition series imho. I think if you took the Edition 7/9 frame and did a generous wood inlay (so more wood than the Edition 10 has, proportionally), it would end up looking more in-line with Ultrasone's industrial/deco aesthetic. If that makes sense.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #1,369 of 2,312
Curiously, Edition 7 and 9 are closer in design to the HFI-780 than either Edition 8 and 10, as well as the Pro series. However, most woodie lovers seem to prefer larger and more uniform cups, which is why I'm not sure Edition 7 and 9 cup styling would fit nicely with a woodie mod.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #1,370 of 2,312
 I think if you took the Edition 7/9 frame and did a generous wood inlay (so more wood than the Edition 10 has, proportionally), it would end up looking more in-line with Ultrasone's industrial/deco aesthetic. If that makes sense.

Yes makes sense, but that though is far above and beyond my skill level. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,372 of 2,312
Quote:
Yikes, those have shot back up indeed!
ph34r.gif

I haven't heard the DJ1, but I can tell you that the PRO2900 are unforgiving (I wouldn't say "harsh") - if the recording has lots of clash and trash in it, they will bring that out. But if the recording is smooth, they will be smooth. This means that distortion type music, like VibesquaD, can bring tears to your eyes, but smoother music, like FSOL is smooth as glass. IMHO they're comfortable headphones - they don't heat up, they aren't overly clampy (after breaking them in); I can very easily wear them for hours on end.
In terms of their improvement over ~$100-$200 headphones, like all higher end cans, I will say that it isn't a linear relationship but they are better. If that makes any sense. So I would expect you to hear improvements, but in terms of it smacking you in the face with "wow, this is three or four times better!" - I doubt that very much. That doesn't mean they're a bad buy though.

I wouldn't say "three or four times better" (if I could even give it a number value at all), but the 2900 was noticeably much better out of the box than my HFI-580 had been. Clarity and soundstage positioning were a huge improvement. It was almost a smack in the face, anyway. It was only $375 when I got it in the summer.

Quote:
Ordered PRO 900, which will be my first high end headphone 
biggrin.gif
 How much better is it than my HFI 580? Thanks

Perhaps that's something you should have looked into before ordering it? 
wink.gif
It's way better, IMO.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #1,375 of 2,312
Curiously, Edition 7 and 9 are closer in design to the HFI-780 than either Edition 8 and 10, as well as the Pro series. However, most woodie lovers seem to prefer larger and more uniform cups, which is why I'm not sure Edition 7 and 9 cup styling would fit nicely with a woodie mod.

If I remember correctly, more or less all Ultrasone models from the early part of the 2000s looked like that; the HFI-700 is a prime example.

Yes makes sense, but that though is far above and beyond my skill level. :D

Hey man, we're talking about a headphone that originally retailed for around $4000. Exotic is the name of the game. :p

I wouldn't say "three or four times better" (if I could even give it a number value at all), but the 2900 was noticeably much better out of the box than my HFI-580 had been. Clarity and soundstage positioning were a huge improvement. It was almost a smack in the face, anyway. It was only $375 when I got it in the summer.

I'd agree with the 2900 being an improvement over lesser cans out of the box - heck, they're one of my favorite dynamic headphones to date! And I remember paying around that ~$400 bar too - hopefully Ultrasone isn't going the way of Sennheiser and Denon and pushing MAPs now.

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #1,376 of 2,312
With a heavy heart, I must turn in from the Ultrasone Fan club. I didn't really enjoy the hfi-580 or the hfi-2200 (chrome plate). Both of them had a really weird voicing that worked for certain genres, mostly folk type music and chillstep, but not so well elsewhere. The bass performance (which was really good) of both of these was sort of over shadowed by the screechy highs and recessed mids. I really tried to like both of these headphones and eq'd to compensate for what they lacked, but it didn't work out. Some day I might return if I have the money to buy the Ultrasone pro900 but for now I think I'll be fine using the Beyer COP as my bass heavy headphone.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #1,377 of 2,312
I'll be getting my second pair of HFI-780 in the next few days!

I originally had to return them 18 months ago due to a fault in the right cup.

Since then, I've been on a journey with closed headphones; from AKG K550, Ultrasone Pro 900, Beyer COP, Beyer DT770 AE, and none of them made me as happy as the HFI-780 did.

Looking forward to being reunited with my underrated HFI-780.

tongue_smile.gif

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #1,378 of 2,312
Quote:
With a heavy heart, I must turn in from the Ultrasone Fan club. I didn't really enjoy the hfi-580 or the hfi-2200 (chrome plate). Both of them had a really weird voicing that worked for certain genres, mostly folk type music and chillstep, but not so well elsewhere. The bass performance (which was really good) of both of these was sort of over shadowed by the screechy highs and recessed mids. I really tried to like both of these headphones and eq'd to compensate for what they lacked, but it didn't work out. Some day I might return if I have the money to buy the Ultrasone pro900 but for now I think I'll be fine using the Beyer COP as my bass heavy headphone.

If you thought the 580 and 2200 had screechy treble I would steer clear of the Pro 900/2900s.. in my experience the treble was nearly unbearable with the majority of my music - especially with vocal electronic tracks (or anything with a lot of female vocals).

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #1,379 of 2,312
Right now I am listening to Celine Dion's Lets Talk About Love album. For me the sound of the Pro-2900 is perfect. It has no piercing high tones, it just sound unveiled in comparision to my SENNHEISER HD 650.

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #1,380 of 2,312
It's sad to see a comrade leave the Ultrasone camp, were a small bunch but were feisty! But just as one leaves another lost comrade manages to find his way home!
Bravo!

I too wil be joining the Beyer camp this holiday season with a shiny new pair of DT880's, but I am keeping my HFI-780's as well. I don't think that deadmau5 or Juno Reactor will have the same thump on the Beyers as they do on the Ultrasone's!

To the fallen comrades:
We will still be here to welcome you back when you return...
And you will. :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back