Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Sep 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #1,186 of 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdawg3234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well said but I think the best way to know if you'll like a headphone or not , other than trying them out yourself, is to find fellow head-fiers who have the same opinions about headphones you already own.  Chances are if they feel the same as you about your HD600s and your Darth Beyers than you can take what they say about the HD800s you want to buy as an accurate description. 
Also helps to be running the same sources and amps. 

+1
I've always done this. It's great to find someone with many headphones and the same tastes.

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,187 of 2,312
How about a quick opinion on a set of ultrasones?
How does everyone feel about the sig pros? Personally I believe them to be lacking in bass which was a major let down for me because, as you guys have just discussed, everyone was saying how bass heavy they were.

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #1,188 of 2,312
How about a quick opinion on a set of ultrasones?
How does everyone feel about the sig pros? Personally I believe them to be lacking in bass which was a major let down for me because, as you guys have just discussed, everyone was saying how bass heavy they were.

One Ultrasone I have not heard - I'm curious, but not $1200 curious. Regarding the bass though, the Signature DJ is rumored to "correct" that bit - but I don't think anyone outside of Ultrasone has heard them yet. I believe the Edition 9 is also supposed to be bassier, but good luck finding one. :xf_eek:

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #1,189 of 2,312
You're absolutely right!!!  I've been looking for the ed 9s for quite a while.  They are the elusive unicorn. I want a pair even if they aren't that good. I'm gonna try talking to an ultrasone rep.

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,190 of 2,312
You're absolutely right!!!  I've been looking for the ed 9s for quite a while.  They are the elusive unicorn. I want a pair even if they aren't that good. I'm gonna try talking to an ultrasone rep.

I know the Edition 9 were limited production, like 7 and 10, but I forget how many they produced in total. For some reason 1600 is coming to mind though - but like the Edition 7 (and the Edition 10 in a few years), they're kind of a one-time only affair. The Signature Pro is supposed to be a re-release, but I'm going to assume they probably did "stuff" to them instead of just straight-out re-releasing them (because you know, as humans we're silly like that, and can't just leave well enough alone).

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #1,191 of 2,312
Quote:
I know the Edition 9 were limited production, like 7 and 10, but I forget how many they produced in total. For some reason 1600 is coming to mind though - but like the Edition 7 (and the Edition 10 in a few years), they're kind of a one-time only affair. The Signature Pro is supposed to be a re-release, but I'm going to assume they probably did "stuff" to them instead of just straight-out re-releasing them (because you know, as humans we're silly like that, and can't just leave well enough alone).

I love limited edition.  I think my new goal will be to own every set of ultrasones.

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #1,192 of 2,312
I love limited edition.  I think my new goal will be to own every set of ultrasones.

That's better than $10,000 easily and I'm guessing the biggest problems are going to be the Edition 7 (only 999 made), Edition 9, and 20th Anniversary (there was/is one in the FS board recently, it's the only one I've ever seen), but otherwise I think you should able to fairly easily pull that off (this isn't meant to discourage you, just to provide you with info). Would love to see pictures as you go along. :)

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #1,193 of 2,312
That's better than $10,000 easily and I'm guessing the biggest problems are going to be the Edition 7 (only 999 made), Edition 9, and 20th Anniversary (there was/is one in the FS board recently, it's the only one I've ever seen), but otherwise I think you should able to fairly easily pull that off (this isn't meant to discourage you, just to provide you with info). Would love to see pictures as you go along. :)

Without a doubt the 7's are gonna be the hardest to find. I've been bothering everyone I can get ahold of at Ultrasone to try and find a pair. Also been trying to get them to give me some connectors for the sig pros so I can have some cables made.
I'll be sure to post plenty of pics whenever I get a chance.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #1,194 of 2,312
Quote:

Nice Rawdawg...Awesome goal...I started over three years ago on the same mission but have taken a hiatus from buying any phones for a while now...lol...I have also been looking for the 7s for three years as well....A couple come up on the bay every now and then but the condition is not ideal for the $ they want...

Sitting at 12 pairs of 'Sones at the moment (have 2 HFI-780s, both re-cabled double-entry.  One with Blue Dragon 1/8" & the other Black Dragon 1/4")...

Once I heard my first one, I knew that was the sound I was looking for....

beerchug.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #1,195 of 2,312
Quote:

Nice Rawdawg...Awesome goal...I started over three years ago on the same mission but have taken a hiatus from buying any phones for a while now...lol...I have also been looking for the 7s for three years as well....A couple come up on the bay every now and then but the condition is not ideal for the $ they want...

Sitting at 12 pairs of 'Sones at the moment (have 2 HFI-780s, both re-cabled double-entry.  One with Blue Dragon 1/8" & the other Black Dragon 1/4")...

Once I heard my first one, I knew that was the sound I was looking for....

beerchug.gif

did some hunting and found a pair of the 20th anniversary 650's.  You selling any of your sones?
gs1000.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #1,197 of 2,312
i own one pair of  ultasones... or should i say frankezone's   their not the prettiest ultrasones out there but for what i payed for em.  ill get to that later.  so anyways  how i came across these rather interesting cans:  i have a Friend down in Florida that said he had a pair that he was willing to let go cheap.  so i bit,  how cheap?  i asked him.. well turns out he wanted $15 shipped from Florida to Canada.  so i asked him "whats wrong with them"   and the list goes like this
1: there disassembled.  completely.  
2: a dual entry mod has been done 
3: he converted the pro 750's into pro 2500's 
4 the shiny number placks are missing. 
5: the headband cushion is missing
6; they had no cable.  
7 and he painted them black.. badly. 

so basically he said I'd have to buy a cable and assemble them. so for 15cad i bought them  they came in a box with stickers and candy filling the box LOL.  so when i bought the cable i bought it from SOLOZ audio  one of his canare 6' cables.  but while waiting for the soloz cable to get here i decided to rough assemble them and built a temp cable out of a cat5 cable.  worked well enough for until the proper cable came.  then i assembled them (and screwed up with the heat shrink) and now they function. added a bit of polyester stuffing to the cups for dampening.  so total cost of frankenzones is around 100cad  and I'm happy with them. 

this is how they came  

cable :

assembled:  that TRS plug can kill small animals 

outside of cup:

this was a good 3 years or so.  i know run them from a xonar dx into a fiio e9  plenty of oomph for the phones.  

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,199 of 2,312
Quote:
did some hunting and found a pair of the 20th anniversary 650's.  You selling any of your sones?
gs1000.gif

Not yet...Will keep you posted if I do...
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I'm jealous. 

beerchug.gif

Several years ago NS&L (Northern Sound & Light) had THE best prices on Ultrasones.  Their service was top notch as well and they gave you a t-shirt if you spent a certain amount (I have a couple...lol)...
Then, the Ed.8s were about to hit the market and NS&L had a pre-order going on.  They priced the pre-order at $799 or $899 (can't remember exactly now)....Well, a bunch of us jumped in...The only problem was that Ultrasone did not like their pricing for the Ed.8s (too low) and the drama unfolded...I received an email shortly after that with a refund for the pre-order.  After that, NS&L sold their existing stock of Ultrasones and never carried Ultrasones again. 
I still receive their newsletter and always check for 'Sones but to no avail.

That was the gist of what happened and most of my collection was purchased back then.

Quote:

cable :

assembled:  that TRS plug can kill small animals 

outside of cup:

this was a good 3 years or so.  i know run them from a xonar dx into a fiio e9  plenty of oomph for the phones.  

Great job....
beerchug.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #1,200 of 2,312
Quote:
Very cool. Two questions though:
That baffle looks more like the PRO2900 baffle. ???
If one were to take a PRO750 or PRO900 and rip the metal plaque off the outside, would those vents exist, or did he have to cut those out?

nah there was no such thing as the 900's or 2900's when this was done.  as for the back  if you wanted to mod the 750 cup backs  into 2500's  you'd have to cut them.  but aparently  the PO had a pair of cups from the proline 2500's and used those the holes are OEM.  

and about the baffle  i remember him telling me that he tryed to make the baffle resemble the 2500's as much as possible   i think he took off or stuck on two of those foam disks over the vents or something it was a long time ago.  

and a update on the frankenzones  they now consist of a little more metal than before.   they were broken once on the right just below the ball joint.  and i was a little rough on them when i took the pad off to re prosition the batting. it broke.  i tried model airplain CA glue but it dident want to take.  so i notice their was a hole in the ball joint.  so drilling a hole through the cradel i eventually with a bunch of trimming and grinding  i was able to get them back together.  i did try and contact ultrasone to see if i could aquire a replacement ball joint cradle doodad.  just in case this fix dosent hold.  LOL  well 100 total theres bound to be some setbacks eh?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back