Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Nov 2, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #376 of 2,312

Thanks,

Yea after sending the Pro 900s back I read about how Ultrasones need a pretty long break in, its just my ears are crazy sensitive to sibilance so I figured they can't change thaaat much (maybe I was wrong)... thats why I figured I'd give Ultrasone another chance, I have some awesome closed cans so the 2900s are perfect cause I don't have any open cans and want a wide and open soundstage type can, plus I did like the whole S-Logic thing on the Pro 900s and I figure they should be even better on the 2900s... :) once I break them in I'll post some comments.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #377 of 2,312
What would I get if I upgrade from the DJ1 to the PRO900... in the future?

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #378 of 2,312
Good call. There's a 2900 appreciation thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/577311/ultrasone-pro-2900-appreciation-thread/45#post_7861371

I will vouch on the airier, bigger soundstage over the 900. I've spent about 60 hours on the 2900, and I guess its a mixture of my ears adjusting to the sound, but I'm confident that they have opened up a bit more and sound better than when I first received them.

Its truly an enjoyable can so far. Battlefield 3 on PS3 is sensational. It gives you the immersive experience without the overly-boomy low bass notes.

Quote:
Thanks,

Yea after sending the Pro 900s back I read about how Ultrasones need a pretty long break in, its just my ears are crazy sensitive to sibilance so I figured they can't change thaaat much (maybe I was wrong)... thats why I figured I'd give Ultrasone another chance, I have some awesome closed cans so the 2900s are perfect cause I don't have any open cans and want a wide and open soundstage type can, plus I did like the whole S-Logic thing on the Pro 900s and I figure they should be even better on the 2900s... :) once I break them in I'll post some comments.

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #380 of 2,312

Quote:
Is it just me or do all ultrasone's that are fresh out of the box give hearing fatigue?

Listened to my friends brand new Pro 900's and I was getting hearing fatigue after an hour.

My pro 900s had a hell lot of a lot of vocal sibilance strait out of the box , its getting a bit less now i have around 8hr on them but still a long way to improve yet ,other than the bright treble causing the sibilance the rest off the sound signature is very nice and well balanced ,between the bass and mids ,bass is very present and of good quality but i would not call these bass heavy or bass monsters ,my denon ah5000 has way more bass and is harder hitting ,at the moment the treble seems to be the dominate part of the ultrasone sound ,although i am hoping that will calm down and fall into line after a couple of hundred hours use.

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #381 of 2,312
Been sporting HFI-780's plugged into an E11 amp :) Music has never sounded so awesome! Although question: what would be a good next "tier" after the 780's? I'm saving up for some new cans, and I'd like some tips :) Also, I'm still a bit new to HiFi audio. 780's are considered low impedance headsets and should be used accordingly witht he low gain setting on the e11, right?

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #382 of 2,312
The Pro 900 needs at least 100 hours before settling down, and still changes noticeably from 100 to 300 hours.

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #383 of 2,312
So got my Ultrasone 2900s today and demoed them...

Alright... WOW the Ultrasone 2900s are much better than the Pro 900s (to my ears :)). The hotness and sibilance that listeners claim takes 100-300 hours to correct on the Pro 900s are much less present on the 2900s after 6 hours of burn in (listening to them right now). Whatever Ultrasone did to tune the 2900s just works, the soundstage isn't as wide as I was hoping, maybe that will change with more burn in. So far very happy. Id say to anyone considering the Ultrasone Pro 900s and willing to get an open can should definitely check out the 2900s instead.. Bass is surprising strong for an open can, I feel like these will be awesome for movies.

Some headfi'ers mentioned thinner pads on the Pro 2900s just from what I remember they look similar to the pro 900s, I can't tell a thickness difference and I have no problems (I have pretty big ears too).

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #384 of 2,312
They definitely will. Mine is on the ~70 hour mark.
I'm really impressed with them so far. Movies.. Watch Inception on Bluray if you have it..

Quote:
So got my Ultrasone 2900s today and demoed them...

Alright... WOW the Ultrasone 2900s are much better than the Pro 900s (to my ears :)). The hotness and sibilance that listeners claim takes 100-300 hours to correct on the Pro 900s are much less present on the 2900s after 6 hours of burn in (listening to them right now). Whatever Ultrasone did to tune the 2900s just works, the soundstage isn't as wide as I was hoping, maybe that will change with more burn in. So far very happy. Id say to anyone considering the Ultrasone Pro 900s and willing to get an open can should definitely check out the 2900s instead.. Bass is surprising strong for an open can, I feel like these will be awesome for movies.

Some headfi'ers mentioned thinner pads on the Pro 2900s just from what I remember they look similar to the pro 900s, I can't tell a thickness difference and I have no problems (I have pretty big ears too).

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #385 of 2,312

Quote:
They definitely will. Mine is on the ~70 hour mark.
I'm really impressed with them so far. Movies.. Watch Inception on Bluray if you have it..

I don't have inception, but I have a few other worthy blu-rays. Looking forward to these opening up more..

I have a question, do you plug your headphones into a home theater receiver or do you connect your blu-ray player to you dec/amp and your headphones into that. I ask this because any time your listening to headphones it has to be 2 channel right, they can't recognize dolby? I have a Dac/amp that I connect to my ps3 via optical audio and I have to turn off dolby and only keep 2 channel on for the dac/amp to output audio (this might seem like a dumb question, but I don't know anything about audio channels and reproduction through dolby)

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #386 of 2,312
It just plugs straight into my HT receiver. I've got a fairly expensive Yamaha receiver
that drives the 2900 with ease. Apparently it has a good HP jack.

I can't give you a tech explanation to the output, but I do use the DSP modes of the receiver
and it works briiliantly. The DSP in my receiver gives the illusion of surround sound.

I believe if you have an external DAC, it should do the decoding and then ouput it as an analog sigal
to your headphones.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #388 of 2,312

Been lurking in the forms for the last few months. HFI-780 is my first headphones from Ultrasone, well my first higher quality headphones too. Still only have about 20 hours of burn in them. I like them but not a fan of the padding on the headband. I got the 780's as my "big toe" testing the waters headphones.

Thanks for creating this form i find out a lot about then other headphones in Ultrasone line i might try out in the future if i still like my 780s after all the burn in.

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #389 of 2,312

Quote:

Been lurking in the forms for the last few months. HFI-780 is my first headphones from Ultrasone, well my first higher quality headphones too. Still only have about 20 hours of burn in them. I like them but not a fan of the padding on the headband. I got the 780's as my "big toe" testing the waters headphones.

Thanks for creating this form i find out a lot about then other headphones in Ultrasone line i might try out in the future if i still like my 780s after all the burn in.

I'm planning on replacing the headband padding on my Pro 900 with the padding from the Sennheiser HD650:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back