Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Feb 12, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #5,912 of 9,690

Quote:
People could try the extender cable part to help take the stress off the plug. Also the vi cable is much better.

The vi cables last me about 4 months on average, whereas the thicker non vi cables with right angle plug are averaging 3 years with equivalent usage.

The vi cable is like a 1980's Ferrari Mondial: low tech (1 button remote) with sexy looks and mediocre performance, also often in need of repair but not worth repairing when it is.

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #5,913 of 9,690
Hi guys,

I am completely new to the forum. I came here trying to find a solution
to a small but seemingly common disaster with triplefi that is cable torn out from the shell
(yes, I was trying to gently pul the cable ..)
My triplefis are no longer under warranty and i am thinking of resoldering the cables, however i have no ide how to
open the shell without permanently destroying it. Perhaps someone can advise how to open the god damn thing?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Best

Bartosz
Poland

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #5,914 of 9,690
Think you could give us a picture? Did the socket in the IEM come out? Or did the cable detach from the part that you're supposed to pull? Depending on it, you might need to re-shell or simply get an aftermarket table.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #5,915 of 9,690

Quote:
Think you could give us a picture? Did the socket in the IEM come out? Or did the cable detach from the part that you're supposed to pull? Depending on it, you might need to re-shell or simply get an aftermarket table.

Pretty sure his did what my first set did. The socket pulled out of the shell tearing the wires that connect the drivers to the socket pins. I tried to solder my first set, its VERY tough cause of how small everything is. You need the right tools, good eyesight and most likely magnification. I could not get it done, as of now I am getting a reshell done.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #5,916 of 9,690

Quote:
Pretty sure his did what my first set did. The socket pulled out of the shell tearing the wires that connect the drivers to the socket pins. I tried to solder my first set, its VERY tough cause of how small everything is. You need the right tools, good eyesight and most likely magnification. I could not get it done, as of now I am getting a reshell done.

Hopefully we won't have to experience this with the custom remolds :p

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #5,919 of 9,690
Sounds like a good candidate for a reshell 
gs1000.gif

Quote:
Hi guys,

I am completely new to the forum. I came here trying to find a solution
to a small but seemingly common disaster with triplefi that is cable torn out from the shell
(yes, I was trying to gently pul the cable ..)
My triplefis are no longer under warranty and i am thinking of resoldering the cables, however i have no ide how to
open the shell without permanently destroying it. Perhaps someone can advise how to open the god damn thing?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Best

Bartosz
Poland

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #5,922 of 9,690

Quote:

Geez, you guys are making me terrified of pulling out the cables on mine to change them when they conk out. A few people (parents) would be more than pissed if the sockets came out and I had to reshell...
ph34r.gif

Give 'em a little wiggle to budge any "stuff" that might have locked them in place and just slowly but surely tug the cable away from the IEM. When i was a kid and I bought SF5's I just got the cables out with my teeth when I bought my first recables back in the day

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #5,923 of 9,690
Well I might end up selling my TF10, W4 and few other universals after all. I've found a game changer - for me - in universals>>> the Aurisonics ASG-1. Shaped like a custom, fits like one and sounds like one. No mid- tier sound here. Top tier dynamic with a 15mm down firing driver that is just blowing my mind right now with its clarity, richness, crispness, transparency and details. And I got it for under $200 brand new. Like i stated, to me a game changer....

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #5,925 of 9,690

Quote:
How did you get it for less than $200, and how do we know this isn't just you preferring the most recent high-end you've heard?

You don't know. It is my subjective opinion. As far as the price I paid, hit the Aurisonics thread. I think pretty much everyone who bought them recently were able to purchase them for that price. How long the introductory offer will last I don't know. But I just purchased the much more expensive Sony XBA-4, and you don't see me bragging about its the best IEM I've heard (it's not). It's an interesting unique sound (the Sony), but not the best. So this a chance you have to take if it piques your interest. And also read others' opinions besides mine....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back