Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Feb 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #5,881 of 9,690

Quote:
I question the usefulness of removable cables now; My JH audio cable snapped at the pins -______-. Meh and I thought I took pretty good care of my TF10.

Reshell time?

I just pulled the trigger on them, saw them on eBay for $120. Couldn't resist any longer. I'll probably grab a squaretrade warranty in the meantime in case they conk out.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #5,882 of 9,690

Quote:
Reshell time?

I just pulled the trigger on them, saw them on eBay for $120. Couldn't resist any longer. I'll probably grab a squaretrade warranty in the meantime in case they conk out.

Eh probably not. I have another TF10 from this BF sale and sony hybrids fit me well. Prolly gonna sell to someone else who wants to reshell though.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #5,883 of 9,690

Quote:
By balanced I mean re-cabled with a balanced terminating interconnection and then put into a fully balanced amp/dac/source system.  I have seen two re-cabled TF10's with balanced interconnections and I am just wondering if there would be any audible difference.

It's my firm belief that any benefit to balanced termination comes from balanced hardware. The signal has to travel across a longer distance than just the cables, plus on most cables the individual wires are separate from each other anyway. The only difference is that on a balanced drive setup, there is no longer a common ground at the plug, each one has it's own negative terminal on the XLR or whatever else plug you choose to have.

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #5,884 of 9,690
Well I really like the FiiO cable, but I've only had it for about 2 weeks and on the left cable the rubber separated from the plastic revealing about a quarter inch of the wires underneath. Hopefully this is just unfortunate and not an indication of poor build quality...

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #5,885 of 9,690
Are you gonna try and contact Fiio to see if they will replace the cable? I had build issues with my Fiio LOD for my Sansa Fuze (horrible built quality) and the only solution for that was to super glue the pieces together.

Fiio is generally very helpful when it comes to warranty support. Give them a ring.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #5,886 of 9,690

Quote:
Are you gonna try and contact Fiio to see if they will replace the cable? I had build issues with my Fiio LOD for my Sansa Fuze (horrible built quality) and the only solution for that was to super glue the pieces together.

Fiio is generally very helpful when it comes to warranty support. Give them a ring.

Yea I am. I mean a little electrical tape would keep the wire from being damaged, but since it is only two weeks old I'll just get it replaced and hopefully it doesn't happen again. Just a bit of a hassle, and I take care of all my stuff too.

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #5,887 of 9,690
Since my customs are on loan, I've been using my TF10's again.  Still as detailed in the mids as I remember them being, with sparkly treble and adequate punchy bass. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #5,888 of 9,690

Quote:
Since my customs are on loan, I've been using my TF10's again.  Still as detailed in the mids as I remember them being, with sparkly treble and adequate punchy bass. 

Customs on load? Thats an oxymoron if I ever heard one? Did you loan them to your twin bro/sis lol? :)

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #5,889 of 9,690
TF10's are coming in either tomorrow or thursday
biggrin.gif

Some are saying the midrange is recessed. Coming from something that has a more prominent midrange, I do have some *slight* concerns. Nothing a 2dB boost can't fix, I hope? Of course I'll be doing the flip mod so I can actually fit them.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #5,890 of 9,690

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Some are saying the midrange is recessed. Coming from something that has a more prominent midrange, I do have some *slight* concerns. Nothing a 2dB boost can't fix, I hope? Of course I'll be doing the flip mod so I can actually fit them.

FiiO cable, have a nice day.
beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #5,891 of 9,690
I like to use the Audio Technica M50 as a point of reference since a lot of people have heard those, and the TF10 midrange isn't as recessed as it is on the M50. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you just really love a forward midrange. By the way, try wearing them the intended way for a while first. I rushed into the flip-flop mod, then when I got the Fiio cable switched them back and they actually fit better now.

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #5,892 of 9,690

Quote:
biggrin.gif

I realized yesterday that I prefer the TF10 to my D2000 with some classical. Coming from someone who was.. a bit disappointed with the TF10 at first. If anything I've confirmed mind burn in, I really had to get used to these. Listened to a recording of Four Seasons yesterday (been mostly listening to the TF10 in general the last weeks due to not being home a lot), decided to switch mid track to my D2000 when I got home and 20 seconds later I switched back to the TF10 that just sounded more.. right. Was like the D2000 treble and bass were up the roof, never really experienced that before.
Guess my point is that the midrange is definitely less recessed than on the D2Ks, or so my ears told me.

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #5,894 of 9,690
I got the XBA-4 in today. You guys can follow what I have to say about - if  you would like - on the Deja vu post of mine. I'll write something here when I compare it to the TF10.

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #5,895 of 9,690
Nice Eric! Really good you have a pair of the 4 along with you're past history of phones should give some excellent insight. One question. Do they have foam in the sound tube similar to the EX600? Would be good to know they have a bit of modding potential for those who do find the mids recessed or too much bass. I needed to do that on my EX600 since they didn't have that much treble and a bit too much foam. I'm sure that the XBA-4 will have better quality control than the EX600 did(at least my pair) but good to know if a bit of reversible tweaking is possible with the XBA-4.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back