The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
Jan 10, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #571 of 615
  so it's gonna be 
This item:Modi 2 USB Digital/Analog Converter $119.00
Magni 2 Headphone Amplifier $119.00
PYST RCA Cables (6 inches) $24.00
right?

Your price seems to be slightly higher than that of Schiit.

You don't need a $24 6-inches RCA cable. A good quality 1.5ft RCA interconnecting cable from monoprice is only $2.35. But I guess it won't hurt to pay just a little more.

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #572 of 615

Your price seems to be slightly higher than that of Schiit.

You don't need a $24 6-inches RCA cable. A good quality 1.5ft RCA interconnecting cable from monoprice is only $2.35. But I guess it won't hurt to pay just a little more.

I do need to use the 1/8 Inch to 1/4 Inch adapter right? if so, does the quality reduced?

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #573 of 615
Jan 10, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #575 of 615
  How's the Matrix M-Stage USB (200$) versus the O2 / Magni-2 ?

Never listened to any of Matrix's products before, so I can't really comment on its quality.

Apr 29, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #576 of 615
@ClieOS

E12a works great with IEM, since it was designed to amplify IEM. But What about headphones such as the HD650? will E12a still powerful enough in this case? or do you think the O2 is more suitable and capable to drive large headphones? thanks!

Apr 29, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #577 of 615
  @ClieOS

E12a works great with IEM, since it was designed to amplify IEM. But What about headphones such as the HD650? will E12a still powerful enough in this case? or do you think the O2 is more suitable and capable to drive large headphones? thanks!

E12A is fine with most full size. Based on spec, HD600 shouldn't be a problem as well - though I can't tell you how good the combo will be as I don't own HD600. In comparison, O2 will have more power than E12A. But in the case of HD600, they should both have more than enough.

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #579 of 615
Hey /Clieos great thread!!
Since it's a bit outdated I wanna ask what's the most reasonably priced AMP for iBassodx90?
I have the topping nx1 - nice but hardly handles the sony z7...
Is there an amp that can handle regular 3.5mm or coaxial?
Another important thing is the bass and a connection to pc's USB

Thought of the fiio e12, cayenne 5(although I don't think it's gotta 3.5mm analog in) or the ibasso T5...
Any help will be great

Thanks

Apr 30, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #580 of 615
Hey /Clieos great thread!!
Since it's a bit outdated I wanna ask what's the most reasonably priced AMP for iBassodx90?
I have the topping nx1 - nice but hardly handles the sony z7...
Is there an amp that can handle regular 3.5mm or coaxial?
Another important thing is the bass and a connection to pc's USB

Thought of the fiio e12, cayenne 5(although I don't think it's gotta 3.5mm analog in) or the ibasso T5...
Any help will be great

Thanks

Regular 3.5mm and coax are two different things - the former takes a regular analog signal (i.e. headphone-out or line-out) while the later takes a digital signal (= S/PDIF). An amplifier, by definition, only take analog signal and not digital signal. Therefore it is impossible for an amp to have a coax input. If you want to use a coax-input, you will need to use a DAC/amp.

Never heard of an amp called 'cayenne 5' before. iBasso T5 has been discontinued for years now. Instead of E12, I'll recommend E12A for Z7 as E12A is better sounding (while still more than adequate for Z7).

HOWEVER - given what you had posted (coax, USB, etc), you are really not looking for an pure amp but a DAC/amp, so E12A probably isn't what you want either. I think you need to figure out what you want first before asking for recommendation.

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #581 of 615
Question from a bass lover perspective, I have an old Fiio E07K Dac/Amp and paired with JVC DX1000 with Bass (+10) and treble (+8) settings has been a great fun combo for me, the synergy between the amp and phones seems to work great to my ears. 

I am trying to replicate this bass shaking setup for my TH900 Mk2 phones. E07k does fine with these phones but it is not able to scale close to the DX1000 fun factor plus I have to decrease the treble setting to (0) as TH900 is bright for me in the highs on some recordings.

Any thoughts which amp with bass boost could be a decent option for TH900? The Fiio E12 and E17 have the bass boost options, though not reviewed here JDS Labs C5D (hoping is closer to C5 review findings here) is another contender. Having a DAC in the amp is not a must but helps to carry less gadgets.

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #582 of 615
Thanks for the response, I know that coax is digital but I have a dap.
So I narrowed it down to:
Sorry to hassle- I need your advise- I have a ibasso dx90 and I need a better amp/dad.
I'm considering oppo- ha-5- which is not cheap but gets great reviews, the xDuoo xd-05 which is new so no reviews or the cheap but well respected Fiio q1.
The most important thing is the bass and handling high impedence headphones (Sony z7)
Thanks

May 1, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #583 of 615
... though not reviewed here JDS Labs C5D (hoping is closer to C5 review findings here) is another contender. Having a DAC in the amp is not a must but helps to carry less gadgets

C5 and C5D should be near identical sounding as both share the same amp section.

Sorry to hassle- I need your advise- I have a ibasso dx90 and I need a better amp/dad.
I'm considering oppo- ha-5- which is not cheap but gets great reviews, the xDuoo xd-05 which is new so no reviews or the cheap but well respected Fiio q1.
The most important thing is the bass and handling high impedence headphones (Sony z7)
Thanks

I never know that Oppo has a HA-5. If you are referring to HA-2, you should know it doesn't have a coax-in so it won't works as DAC/amp for DX90. Same goes for Q1. Never listen to XD-05 before so I won't comment on it.

May 1, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #584 of 615
Thanks

I have the Q1 and although good it has no digital input as already stated and I'm not sure how well it would serve high impedance headphones; I tried the Oppo-HA2 before eventually settling on the iBasso D14; it was cheaper, sounded just as good and has both co-ax and optical inputs so was a bit more versatile. The D14 doesn't look as good as the Oppo-HA2 and isn't pocketable, although it is portable and it gets my K702s louder than I could comfortably listen. It doesn't have any bass control though so is fairly neutral in that sense. Sorry to throw another option for you to consider.

May 1, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #585 of 615

Users who are viewing this thread

Back