The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
May 1, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #587 of 615
  Sorry; I should have been more specific. It does have USB input but not co-ax or optical digital inputs which I believe would be needed for the dx90 being asked about.

IIRC, iBasso's DAP usually only does coax-out,but not optical. Optical is more of an A&K's thing.

May 4, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #588 of 615
I purchased the Fostex t40rp mk3 and they were just shipped. What would be the ideal portable amp for these? I have been looking at the Fiio E12 and E12A as well as the Cayin C5 and spark C5. If I save up I could potentially afford the Oppo HA-2. I will be using either a macbook air or an iPhone 6 as my player most of the time. Also I ordered the Fostex TH-X00 PH but that won't be arriving for some time.

May 5, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #589 of 615
  I purchased the Fostex t40rp mk3 and they were just shipped. What would be the ideal portable amp for these? I have been looking at the Fiio E12 and E12A as well as the Cayin C5 and spark C5. If I save up I could potentially afford the Oppo HA-2. I will be using either a macbook air or an iPhone 6 as my player most of the time. Also I ordered the Fostex TH-X00 PH but that won't be arriving for some time.

HA-2 will be ideal for PC and iPhone use though I am not sure if it has enough power for T40RP MK3 or not, given T40RP MK3 is slightly demanding. Cayin C5 and Spark C5 is the same thing btw, as Spark is one of Cayin's sub-brand. Both E12, E12A and C5 should have enough power to drive the Fostex, based on spec.

May 5, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #590 of 615

HA-2 will be ideal for PC and iPhone use though I am not sure if it has enough power for T40RP MK3 or not, given T40RP MK3 is slightly demanding. Cayin C5 and Spark C5 is the same thing btw, as Spark is one of Cayin's sub-brand. Both E12, E12A and C5 should have enough power to drive the Fostex, based on spec.

Sorry I meant C5 and C5 DAC but it looks like the C5 is more powerful. I might get the Dragonfly Red and the Cayin C5 and see how that combo works. Also the Aune B1 looks interesting.

May 5, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #591 of 615
  Sorry I meant C5 and C5 DAC but it looks like the C5 is more powerful. I might get the Dragonfly Red and the Cayin C5 and see how that combo works. Also the Aune B1 looks interesting.

Aune B1 just lacks power, so avoid it if you can since you have demanding headphone. Given DragonFly Red and C5 will probably add up to about $350+, I am more inclined to suggest you save up a bit and get the iFi Audio's micro iDSD for $500 instead. That way you get one of the best DAC implementation south of $1K mark and definitely one of the most powerful amp section (4W!!!) you can find on any portable amp.

May 6, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #592 of 615
I'm looking for a portable amp to mount on motorcycle helmet and connect with helmet mounted Sena Bluetooth comm unit getting streamed music from iphone 6+, with helmet installed Audio Technica ATH40s plugged into amp, ideas?

May 6, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #593 of 615
  I'm looking for a portable amp to mount on motorcycle helmet and connect with helmet mounted Sena Bluetooth comm unit getting streamed music from iphone 6+, with helmet installed Audio Technica ATH40s plugged into amp, ideas?

I took a brief look on those Sena BT unit. My guess is you probably want more convenience (especially on battery life and overall size) rather than SQ, so perhaps FiiO A1 will fit your bill?

May 7, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #596 of 615
Thanks, what about ZO2?

DigiZoid is pretty much defunct for the last two years, and there is no way for you to get a ZO2 except for 2nd hand unit. While I do enjoy my ZO2, I won't recommend it at this point.

Also heard from ADVRider who likes PA2V2

PA2V2 is technological outdated. It isn't a particularly innovative design to begin with and frankly it is kind of a surprise that it lasts so long. There are quite a few issues with its design and it was never as good a performer as the creator claims it to be. If you are willing to carry an amp of that size, a FiiO A3 of the same price will offer much better return in both SQ and performance. Even the JDS Labs cmoyBB will be a better choice than PA2V2.

May 10, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #597 of 615

Aune B1 just lacks power, so avoid it if you can since you have demanding headphone. Given DragonFly Red and C5 will probably add up to about $350+, I am more inclined to suggest you save up a bit and get the iFi Audio's micro iDSD for $500 instead. That way you get one of the best DAC implementation south of $1K mark and definitely one of the most powerful amp section (4W!!!) you can find on any portable amp.

Thanks for the heads up on the Aune! I am currently still trying to decide, $350 is the most I can spend. So I have narrowed it down to either the DragonFly Red + Cayin C5 or the Arrow 6TX. It seems to me that the Red + C5 combo would have more power but maybe the 6TX has higher quality components.

May 20, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #598 of 615
Hello mate i need your help
at first sorry for my english , i live on italy and my english is bad
i have  one fiio x3 1st edition and audio technica ath-m50x .
i hase the audio technica whit fiio x3 , whit ipad and whit samsun s7 edge .. but i think need upgrade the sound whit Amps

whict is the best for my item under 200 euro ?

i like sound warm and open , more detail in mid-high rage , and hate the bass

i have read more page in this forum and i think is a good choise the Fiio e12a , but for more test the JDS ob 2 is better ..

help me .. thx

p.s: if i change the fiio x3 whit fiio x5 2 generation is a great upgrade ?

May 20, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #599 of 615
  Hello mate i need your help
at first sorry for my english , i live on italy and my english is bad
i have  one fiio x3 1st edition and audio technica ath-m50x .
i hase the audio technica whit fiio x3 , whit ipad and whit samsun s7 edge .. but i think need upgrade the sound whit Amps

whict is the best for my item under 200 euro ?

i like sound warm and open , more detail in mid-high rage , and hate the bass

i have read more page in this forum and i think is a good choise the Fiio e12a , but for more test the JDS ob 2 is better ..

help me .. thx

p.s: if i change the fiio x3 whit fiio x5 2 generation is a great upgrade ?

My general opinion is that you should always consider upgrading your headphone first, then your source second, and your amp last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back