The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
Jan 5, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #556 of 615
I'm new to DAC/Amp research so I have two questions:

1.  I play my music from my Dell M6500 laptop and Nexus 6 phone to both IEMs and Headphones.  Will a DAC/AMP improve the sound quality?  If so, any recommendations for a portable one less than $150? 
2.  If I don't need a DAC, any recommendations for amp less than $150?

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #557 of 615
  I'm new to DAC/Amp research so I have two questions:

1.  I play my music from my Dell M6500 laptop and Nexus 6 phone to both IEMs and Headphones.  Will a DAC/AMP improve the sound quality?  If so, any recommendations for a portable one less than $150? 
2.  If I don't need a DAC, any recommendations for amp less than $150?

1. Assuming the DAC/amp is better (duh!
tongue.gif
)  than the internal DAC/amp of your laptop / smartphone, then yes. - in more 'real world' answer - I'll say there is a good chance that will be the case, as laptop headphone-out tends to be really high in output impedance and noise while smartphone headphone-out tends to be the same (though usually in lesser degree). Of course, we will also have to assume you will have the headphone to take advantage of the better SQ from a external USB/amp. The other issue is that, not every budget USB/DAC will work with Android (sometime they do and sometime they don't). Usually it also depends a lot on the particular smartphone (and I have no experience with Nexus 6 so I can't help you there). The two choices that will fit you budget are FiiO E18 and iBasso D-Zero MK2.

2. Spend $10 on your budget and FiiO E12A will be a great choice. JDS Labs O2 will also be a great choice as well, though less portable.

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #558 of 615
Hi All,

If I get my act together this weekend, I'll be posting a comparative review between the Topping NX2 and another EBay special that cost me ~56USD delivered here in Oz. The second unit doesnt have a DAC, but it does have a socket allowing you to roll opamps - AFAIK, the only portable amp to offer this at such a modest price point. Hopefully this post will motivate me to do something beyond simply ranting about these amps  :wink:

Later,

estreeter,
Celebrating 40 years as a Springsteen fan  (1976-2016)

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #559 of 615

1. Assuming the DAC/amp is better (duh!
tongue.gif
)  than the internal DAC/amp of your laptop / smartphone, then yes. - in more 'real world' answer - I'll say there is a good chance that will be the case, as laptop headphone-out tends to be really high in output impedance and noise while smartphone headphone-out tends to be the same (though usually in lesser degree). Of course, we will also have to assume you will have the headphone to take advantage of the better SQ from a external USB/amp. The other issue is that, not every budget USB/DAC will work with Android (sometime they do and sometime they don't). Usually it also depends a lot on the particular smartphone (and I have no experience with Nexus 6 so I can't help you there). The two choices that will fit you budget are FiiO E18 and iBasso D-Zero MK2.

2. Spend $10 on your budget and FiiO E12A will be a great choice. JDS Labs O2 will also be a great choice as well, though less portable.

Thanks for the response.  From what I've been reading, it seems like both the FiiO E18 and iBasso D-Zero MK2 will work out of the Nexus 6 for all audio (Youtube, Spotify, etc) and not just for specific apps.  I guess I have to search for comparisons between the two.  Let me know if you have a preference.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #560 of 615
Currently I'm using a Sony ZX2 paired with Senns IE800. At first, the, uh, shall we say, very revealing, vaguely harsh high end of the IE800s almost put me off. But now, with the resolution and separation inherent in both the ZX2 and IE800, I can't imagine a sound signature that I'd like better.

However, I have been wondering lately if that signature could be enhanced by putting a little more power behind it. So, I've begun looking into portable amps.

I was looking at the Cayin C5, but after going through the reviews, I'm a bit put off by the fact that it doesn't seem to play too well with IEMs (as in, channel imbalance at low volumes, very limited range of volume control even on low gain, etc.).

Right now I'm drawn to two ends of the spectrum (as far as price): Fiio E12A and the Oppo HA-2.

Obviously I like the E12A for its price. But the versatility of the HA-2 seems appealing as well.

Given the fairly wide sound stage, very good separation, good resolving details and pretty aggressive highs of the ZX2 + IE800 combo, would anyone have an opinion as to whether or not the E12A or the HA-2 would pair better? Keeping mind I'm primarily just going to be amping the analog output (LO) from the ZX2.

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #561 of 615
  Currently I'm using a Sony ZX2 paired with Senns IE800. At first, the, uh, shall we say, very revealing, vaguely harsh high end of the IE800s almost put me off. But now, with the resolution and separation inherent in both the ZX2 and IE800, I can't imagine a sound signature that I'd like better.

However, I have been wondering lately if that signature could be enhanced by putting a little more power behind it. So, I've begun looking into portable amps.

I was looking at the Cayin C5, but after going through the reviews, I'm a bit put off by the fact that it doesn't seem to play too well with IEMs (as in, channel imbalance at low volumes, very limited range of volume control even on low gain, etc.).

Right now I'm drawn to two ends of the spectrum (as far as price): Fiio E12A and the Oppo HA-2.

Obviously I like the E12A for its price. But the versatility of the HA-2 seems appealing as well.

Given the fairly wide sound stage, very good separation, good resolving details and pretty aggressive highs of the ZX2 + IE800 combo, would anyone have an opinion as to whether or not the E12A or the HA-2 would pair better? Keeping mind I'm primarily just going to be amping the analog output (LO) from the ZX2.

If this is any good source, I am probably  going to recommend E12A over HA-2 because E12A is a nicer sounding amp overall (as small the difference apart as they are) - but it is a Sony, so I am going to recommend HA-2 instead because, as an A10 owner myself, I have a sneaky suspicion that you will find ZX2 digital-out to HA-2 (which you will need to get a special cable for that) an improvement over ZH2's internal DAC+amp, on the reason of how poor the amp section Sony's DAP usually is (even on the line-out, as I have the chance to really measure my A10's output using an audio analyzer). Besides, HA-2 seems to fit your requirement of sound signature better.

...and seriously, if you buy the HA-2, you should definitely try to extract the digital-out from ZX2.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #562 of 615

If this is any good source, I am probably  going to recommend E12A over HA-2 because E12A is a nicer sounding amp overall (as small the difference apart as they are) - but it is a Sony, so I am going to recommend HA-2 instead because, as an A10 owner myself, I have a sneaky suspicion that you will find ZX2 digital-out to HA-2 (which you will need to get a special cable for that) an improvement over ZH2's internal DAC+amp, on the reason of how poor the amp section Sony's DAP usually is (even on the line-out, as I have the chance to really measure my A10's output using an audio analyzer). Besides, HA-2 seems to fit your requirement of sound signature better.

...and seriously, if you buy the HA-2, you should definitely try to extract the digital-out from ZX2.

Well, I never really liked the idea of using the digital out of the ZX2 for a number of reasons (battery life drops horribly, and it becomes nothing but a REALLY expensive transport). However, I keep finding myself drawn to the versatility of the HA-2. Want an amp? Want a DAC? Want a battery backup? Want to use it on Windows, Mac, iOS and Android? No problem! It can do all that while making julienne fries!

But seriously, it does pique my interest from the perspective of being able to pair it as a DAC to other devices, like my android phone or iPad.

I'll definitely keep your recommendation in mind. Thanks.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #563 of 615
  Well, I never really liked the idea of using the digital out of the ZX2 for a number of reasons (battery life drops horribly, and it becomes nothing but a REALLY expensive transport). However, I keep finding myself drawn to the versatility of the HA-2. Want an amp? Want a DAC? Want a battery backup? Want to use it on Windows, Mac, iOS and Android? No problem! It can do all that while making julienne fries!

But seriously, it does pique my interest from the perspective of being able to pair it as a DAC to other devices, like my android phone or iPad.

I'll definitely keep your recommendation in mind. Thanks.

My advise to you is, don't knock it till you've tried it. Might surprise yourself there. Also, with the right OTG cable , HA-2 actually will NOT draw any power from the source (check out the HA-2 thread if you are interested) - so you don't need to worry about battery life dropping significantly with your ZX2.

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #564 of 615
FWIW, I found the proprietary digital connection between the ZX1 and PHA-2 better than anything else I combined the ZX1 with - I'm not suggesting that Sony have any magical digital voodoo, but it was a significant step up over the headphone out from the ZX1 by itself. At the time, my other portable DAC/amps were tthe ADL X1 and the Chord Hugo, and I never considered the Hugo truly 'portable'. I'm not a huge fan of the PHA-3's form factor, but the sonics seem to get good reviews - just throwing it out there before Conext goes any further down the road to fiscal ruin  :D

Sorry for your wallet, Amigo, but we've all been there.

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #565 of 615
  FWIW, I found the proprietary digital connection between the ZX1 and PHA-2 better than anything else I combined the ZX1 with - I'm not suggesting that Sony have any magical digital voodoo, but it was a significant step up over the headphone out from the ZX1 by itself. At the time, my other portable DAC/amps were tthe ADL X1 and the Chord Hugo, and I never considered the Hugo truly 'portable'. I'm not a huge fan of the PHA-3's form factor, but the sonics seem to get good reviews - just throwing it out there before Conext goes any further down the road to fiscal ruin  :D

Sorry for your wallet, Amigo, but we've all been there.

Well, after going back and forth between the HA-2 and E12A, I finally took the plunge on the HA-2 after finding this helpful blurb:

More accessible universal earphones also performed very well indeed with the HA-2 with some common perceptions of how some pairings would go thankfully not materializing such as the treble tricky IE800 which largely behaved using both the PC and OTG connections. I was half expecting the traces of lower treble glare in the HA-2 to amplify with the IE800 and produce a really uneven experience but in actual fact it remained relatively low profile with a greater emphasis on articulation and detail which both the HA-2 and IE800 are pretty good at. The dynamics of the HA-2 also suited the IE800’s superior sound staging and bass performance. Atmospheric synth driven tracks such as Francisca Valenzuela’s “Armadura” sounded fresh and snappy with a reassuringly responsive bassline on the IE800/HA-2 match.

That's precisely one of the concerns I had in regards to driving the IE800. So it would seem that not only is it not a concern, but in fact, matches well with the HA-2. Of course, ultimately, I'll have to be the final judge. But hey, even if it sounds terrible to me, then at least I'll have a terribly stylish place mat onto which I can rest my components.
wink_face.gif

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #569 of 615
  what are the best amp/dac for destop under $200 now? ( im using ASG 2.5)

If it is going to be desktop use, then there is no reason to get something with a battery. One of the best setup for $200 is probably Schiit Audio Modi 2 + Magni 2.

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #570 of 615

If it is going to be desktop use, then there is no reason to get something with a battery. One of the best setup for $200 is probably Schiit Audio Modi 2 + Magni 2.

so it's gonna be 
This item:Modi 2 USB Digital/Analog Converter $119.00
Magni 2 Headphone Amplifier $119.00
PYST RCA Cables (6 inches) $24.00
right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back