The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #22,591 of 24,807
I bought that same combo (SRM-T1 + SR-Lambda Signature) locally some years ago for € 750 IIRC. $ 700 seems like a very good price to me, provided they're both in good condition of course.

The SRM-T1 will do very well with any Staxen from the Lambda series, but I found the SR-007 too bassy and woolly on it. I was especially fond of the SRM-T1 and SR-202 combination.

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #22,592 of 24,807
if its lambda signature ( not LNS, not 404 signature, the original signature) .. and in good condition ( without dents on the driver mesh ) .. 300+
and around 400 for T1 is a good price (if recapped then even better)

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #22,594 of 24,807
Just want to chime in and say that I'm very pleased with the cable replacement that Accutech/Yama's Inc./Stax USA (all the same outfit apparently) performed on my SR-009. The repair was done quicker than expected, they did a great job, and they gave me a significant "one-time discount" on the uber-expensive cable that probably had more to do with the current exchange rate than with my begging for special consideration as an animal lover.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #22,595 of 24,807
A recap shouldn't cost much, I guess. After all it is only 3 or 4 capacitors that should be changed. Thank you for your help! I am positive that setup would get me further than spending 1k$ on new equipment. In other words, I suppose I would have a setup rivaling my HE-500 setup
wink.gif

Anyway, it seems to be a good price, though not spectacular. I think it is almost mint condition. The seller states it look like new...

Oh well, again thank you. I guess it's up to me now.

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #22,596 of 24,807
if its lambda signature ( not LNS, not 404 signature, the original signature) .. and in good condition ( without dents on the driver mesh ) .. 300+
and around 400 for T1 is a good price (if recapped then even better)

What if the mesh is falling apart? Is that only on the earpad, which is replaceable?

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #22,599 of 24,807
If I had the money I could also buy a sr-007 mk2 and a Woo Wee energizer for 1900$ locally. Ohh god this hobby is killing me
wink.gif

Even tried the setup once..

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #22,600 of 24,807
This looks good on the first glance.. but be aware .. it says " [size=x-small]....Last year they had new diaphragms / speaker[/size][size=x-small] ...."[/size]

The new drivers must be from 407/404 ... i doubt stax is stocking such old drivers.

anyone bidding, take notice.

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #22,602 of 24,807
Quote:
Actually it helps a bit. But I think the delivery would be ever so slightly costly, since they are to be found here in Denmark... What do you think would be a typical price for such a setup in good condition? I am thinking 600$ for the amp and 2-300$ for the headphones after researching. Still, I am beginning to doubt...

The Lambda Signature alone is worth about $500.  Like I said earlier, you're getting a very good deal.

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #22,603 of 24,807
I picked up a recapped SRM1MK2 and a SR-404 from the sale forums last week and I can say that the Stax sound is addictive. I like the transient speed/liquid decay and find the treble to be extended yet smooth. Basically a bigger Ety ER4S with less listening fatigue.

The SR-404 could use a bit more sub bass impact and possibly a touch more forwardness in the lower mids, but other than that, no complaints. 

I've been looking at a SR-007MK2 and may pull the trigger if I can sell off some of my unused gear.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #22,605 of 24,807
Lambda Signature's go for $400+ not 300, more so than the LNS that I've observed over the past few months.

T1's go for around $350-600 depending on the condition and abuse.

@davidsh: I don't want to speak for spritzer but he'll probably recommend the same, you're gonna have to recap the T1 caps to the same rated or higher rated ones, replace any diodes or resistors, might need to re-wire the transformer to the correct AC rating, you may need to re-bias the tubes which has to be done manually from what I've learnt. To get a T1 whipped back in shape, it does take time and effort as well as money to get it good and going again as it is an old amp, otherwise a good price but you never know the amount of abuse it has gone through with the previous owner. 

Then there is the possibility of channel imbalance with the old Stax stuff which cannot be fixed except replacing it.

@singh: I'm bidding on those as well. 
size]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back