The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #22,621 of 24,807
That was what I was thinking, either vintage stax or a 2170 setup.
I'm not sure what vintage cans to look for though, or if I'd even like the 207...

The problem with anything vintage is there is nor warranty and it might need some repair, refurb, etc.

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #22,622 of 24,807
Quote:
Oh well... I don't have the gear to service such an amp. How would I know what should be replaced? Measuring with a multi-meter?
That write up above is really appreciated!

You can bring the amp to a local technician to be serviced. It's not very complex; he will be able to service it. Furthermore, Spritzer or Kevin Gilmore will undoubtedly have the schematics of the amp to make it easier for the technician. I had my SRM-T1 fixed by a local audio/tv repairman when it wouldn't switch on anymore. For € 65 he fixed the problem (resistors that had aged out of spec IIRC) and replaced the capacitors. But many SRM-T1s should work just fine without servicing. Rebiasing the tubes can be easily done by yourself with a cheap multimeter. The instructions have been given many times around here: run a search for 'biasing SRM-T1' or similar search terms and you should find it. Rewiring the transformer will most certainly not be necessary. Not only are you buying locally, the SRM-T1 also has a switch to change the voltage.

On a different note, the SRM-T1 is the same amp as what Stax now calls the SRM-006t(II/S).

What Defqon says is true, you are buying old equipment which can have problems, but usually everything is fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but yes, it is a small risk. If something breaks, it can easily be repaired. The T1 is a good amp for Lambda's, so if you are not completely happy with the Lambda Signatures, you can always try different headphones with it. The Lambda Signatures are not necessarily the best Lambda's. Many think so, but this is of course highly subjective. I disagree to be honest.

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #22,623 of 24,807
Quote:

If the tier 1.5 headphones don't have these problem (etch,plastic-like), they will be tier 1
the PVC LS just did everything right (best basses, best vocal (haven't heard lambda NB yet), best highs(in lambda family),high resolution,large soundstage,sounds full & lush, no etch)

1989-1992 was the golden age of headphones,
Sennheiser HD560 (1989, best $300-500 dynamic headphone)
AKG K1000(1990)
Sony R10 (1988)
Etymotic ER4 (1991)
Sennheise HE90/60 (1991,1993)
Grado HP1000 (1990)
Stax PVC LS (1989-1993?)

they are closest to the perfection,no compromise,
but some of these great headphones got a short life

Might I ask why you say PVC Lambda Signature?

Also, this thread makes me a bit nervous: http://www.head-fi.org/t/263364/im-getting-lambda-signatures-how-good-are-they/30
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #22,624 of 24,807
Quote:

You can bring the amp to a local technician to be serviced. It's not very complex; he will be able to service it. Furthermore, Spritzer or Kevin Gilmore will undoubtedly have the schematics of the amp to make it easier for the technician. I had my SRM-T1 fixed by a local audio/tv repairman when it wouldn't switch on anymore. For € 65 he fixed the problem (resistors that had aged out of spec IIRC) and replaced the capacitors. But many SRM-T1s should work just fine without servicing. Rebiasing the tubes can be easily done by yourself with a cheap multimeter. The instructions have been given many times around here: run a search for 'biasing SRM-T1' or similar search terms and you should find it. Rewiring the transformer will most certainly not be necessary. Not only are you buying locally, the SRM-T1 also has a switch to change the voltage.

On a different note, the SRM-T1 is the same amp as what Stax now calls the SRM-006t(II/S).

What Defqon says is true, you are buying old equipment which can have problems, but usually everything is fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but yes, it is a small risk. If something breaks, it can easily be repaired. The T1 is a good amp for Lambda's, so if you are not completely happy with the Lambda Signatures, you can always try different headphones with it. The Lambda Signatures are not necessarily the best Lambda's. Many think so, but this is of course highly subjective. I disagree to be honest.

Loads of thanks for your help, pretty much all of you in the thread.

There are some differences between T1 and 006t, but afaik it is only balanced inputs and some other minor stuff...

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #22,626 of 24,807
So are there different versions?

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #22,628 of 24,807
Quote:
Woven nylon tend to sound harsh in some high frequencies

plshan, this is all very interesting but are you affirmative about this observation? By this, I mean is this really the only difference between the units and, if so, can this really be attributed to the dust cover rather than natural variations between units / pads aging and such?

Reason why I am skeptical is that this woven nylon is pretty darn close to acoustically transparent. Absolutely no way this could cause extra resonances in the treble region. Driver / ear spacing, diaphragm tensioning, diaphragm material on the other hand surely could be responsible for perceived differences.

Other reason I am skeptical is that I haven't ever read such classification within the lambda series and some guys on this board have seen a fair share of units passing through their hands.

If you're so strong about the classification, it means you've heard multiple samples of the two configurations and systematically made the same observations, is that so?

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #22,630 of 24,807
Quote:

plshan, this is all very interesting but are you affirmative about this observation? By this, I mean is this really the only difference between the units and, if so, can this really be attributed to the dust cover rather than natural variations between units / pads aging and such?

Reason why I am skeptical is that this woven nylon is pretty darn close to acoustically transparent. Absolutely no way this could cause extra resonances in the treble region. Driver / ear spacing, diaphragm tensioning, diaphragm material on the other hand surely could be responsible for perceived differences.

Other reason I am skeptical is that I haven't ever read such classification within the lambda series and some guys on this board have seen a fair share of units passing through their hands.

If you're so strong about the classification, it means you've heard multiple samples of the two configurations and systematically made the same observations, is that so?

both of my LS use 507 leather pads,
the difference is huge, one of my friend heard the PVC lambda, then he thought the woven nylon lambda is broken (sound thin, & etch)

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #22,631 of 24,807
Quote:
It's incredible how you're able to hear differences of sound between different dust covers used on the back when nobody else can. You must really have golden ears pkshan.
smily_headphones1.gif

My grandma can't even hear the fire alarm, it's outside our home!
I am sure the HD800 and HD650 sound the same to her

you may find a hearing doctor and measure your ears

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #22,634 of 24,807
Quote:
the difference is huge, one of my friend heard the PVC lambda, then he thought the woven nylon lambda is broken (sound thin, & etch)

And pkshan swings wildly with a pointless anecdote!

Quote:
you may find a hearing doctor and measure your ears

And pkshan is on the offensive with a baseless personal insult!

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #22,635 of 24,807
If they sound etchy and thin I don't think it is for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back