The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #22,561 of 24,807
Actually it's hard to tell what they are now and I've been using faust3d's Wikiphonia as a guide for finding vintage collectibles.

http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=SR-%CE%B1_PRO_Excellent

I originally purchased it with the SRD-X Pro adaptor's but I sold them off for cheap as I didn't need them. Then I managed to get another Gamma Pro from the same seller but without box, condition wasn't as good and the pads were the normal oval pads seen on most Gamma's.

Besides some flaking on the topside of the headband, mine is fairly NOS with foam intact and everything, no signs of previous tampering at all.

Pictures taken while ago as I was going to sell them to another buyer. I'm glad I didn't because it would be extremely hard for me to find a pair in this condition and the price I purchased them for.

I have done AB comparison against the other Gamma Pro with oval pads, this one sounded more forward but not bright at all, bass extension is superb makes my Lambda Pro's sound extremely laid back in comparison. All this attributing improvements could be due to the pads, which are soft and moulds right over your ears.

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #22,562 of 24,807
As for how it compares to the BHSE, the DIY is nice step up but it should be for the cost.  It's at least 5k$ in the parts alone if you can even get them.  Not everybody is sitting on a few hundred 2SC3675's like I am... 
redface.gif

Isn't that rather uncomfortable?  Is there a shortage of comfy chairs in Iceland?

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #22,564 of 24,807
Quote:
I was under the impression that the Alphas were identical to the Gammas, except for the pads - so what you have are a pair of Excellents, perhaps with the wrong logo printed on them :p 

Whatever you do, do not let anyone butcher those poor cans.  The Alpha/Gammas are wonderful headphones, and Spritzer is definitely going to hell for his role in encouraging so many people to cannibalize them for their drivers

Hey!!!!   I just sold one Alpha Pro Excellent that was completely untouched. 
redface.gif
  I did take the headband apart to fix the flaking though as black dandruff isn't too cool. 

The other Alpha Pro Excellent wasn't so fortunate though...
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #22,566 of 24,807
Probably a silly question but the pads that come with the sr007a now is black right? I don't really like how the brown pads look

i haven't been able to find a used pair and might end up buying one from pricejapan soon. 1k more for the us version is too much of a difference

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #22,567 of 24,807
Quote:
Probably a silly question but the pads that come with the sr007a now is black right? I don't really like how the brown pads look

i haven't been able to find a used pair and might end up buying one from pricejapan soon. 1k more for the us version is too much of a difference

brown pads are brown 

iirc yes, they're black. 

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #22,571 of 24,807
I'm thinking of buying a SRM 727, whose voltage is set to 220.
I'm in UK and here Stax amps are sold with a 240 voltage. My current Stax amp is labelled as 240v (the 220v is clearly not checked so I assume the internals are different). Any problem?

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #22,572 of 24,807
so here are the thoughts on this

there are 2 sets of windings on the transformers, both labeled 0,100,120

for 120 vac (usa and others) the 0 and 120 sets of windings are in parallel

for 240vac (Germany and others) the 0 and 120 sets of windings are in series

for 100 vac (japan and others) the 0 and 100 sets of windings are in parallel

every time in the past I have seen units set for 220, they are actually set for 240v

but in theory you could wire 0 to to 100 to 0 to 120 and get 220v
but I have not seen that done yet.

you should open up your current unit and check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back