The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #20,581 of 24,807
Quote:
I understand you that the SZ3 are substancial upgrade from the 507. But what?

What do you mean by this?

I've given a MK1 a good listen before from a friends rig at the same time there was the 507 before I decided on forking money on another of HD800's. The 507 ain't no slouch and is the current flagship of the Lambda frame series but for me it just had an annoying treble range, the MK1 in comparison was just better in regards to all sound aspects fairly balanced to me ears. I couldn't afford an MK1 + amp at the time so I got another used HD800 for cheap to play around.

The SZ3 I believe is another version of the SR-007 that is slightly different to the original MK1's (sorry I'm not familiar with these revision codes), but spritzer or any other owner should provide a more reliable response for you regards to the different sounds and tonal signatures of the SR-007's.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #20,582 of 24,807
A quick update to my initial 11/30 post.  I'm floored at the sound quality I'm hearing this evening - what I've been missing all these years.  I decided to side step using the digital out of my transporter and ripped 70+ SACDs over Christmas (many newly purchased now that I can rip SACDs.)  I just received my Debussy DAC this evening, and using Signalyst's HQPlayer Desktop on Linux, I'm currently streaming DSD through the Debussy at 192kHz and listening with my 009's and a 727II.  What a treat!

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #20,583 of 24,807
Quote:
A quick update to my initial 11/30 post.  I'm floored at the sound quality I'm hearing this evening - what I've been missing all these years.  I decided to side step using the digital out of my transporter and ripped 70+ SACDs over Christmas (many newly purchased now that I can rip SACDs.)  I just received my Debussy DAC this evening, and using Signalyst's HQPlayer Desktop on Linux, I'm currently streaming DSD through the Debussy at 192kHz and listening with my 009's and a 727II.  What a treat!

I didn't know you could rip SACDs. I thought you had to use the actual disc. Interesting.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #20,584 of 24,807
How are you ripping SACD's?  Do you have one of the "right" version PS3's that allow this?  Or are you just ripping the Red Book layer...?

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #20,585 of 24,807
Quote:

I thought I read that the Debussy was DSD ready. Shouldn't need to convert and downsample to 192kHz?

I've got Audirvana+ -> DoP over USB -> HP-A8 with 2.01b which supports DoP -> 727A -> 009 and that's straight 2.8Mhz.

(in my case, yes, PS3 ripped ISO DSD files).

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #20,587 of 24,807
No SACD would ever be 192kHz as in PCM terms the max is 88.2kHz since there is no built in filtering. 

Quote:
The SZ3 I believe is another version of the SR-007 that is slightly different to the original MK1's (sorry I'm not familiar with these revision codes), but spritzer or any other owner should provide a more reliable response for you regards to the different sounds and tonal signatures of the SR-007's.

The SZ2 version a slightly different version of the Mk1 which could be modified to sound pretty close.  The SZ3 sounds completely different. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #20,588 of 24,807
Quote:
No SACD would ever be 192kHz as in PCM terms the max is 88.2kHz since there is no built in filtering. 

The SZ2 version a slightly different version of the Mk1 which could be modified to sound pretty close.  The SZ3 sounds completely different. 

Then, Is worth the SZ3 compared with 507?

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #20,589 of 24,807
Quote:
Then, Is worth the SZ3 compared with 507?

Both are somewhat forward but they are quite different is terms of presentation and sound so an audition is recommended to see which one you prefer.

The 507 is much more "in your face" detail, fast, fairly tight bass, the SR007 Mk2 is more diffused and looser in the bass.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #20,591 of 24,807
Originally Posted by spritzer 

Quote:
Thanks spritzer.

I had a pair of Stax SR-007 mk 2's with the SZ3 serial number, and I did not much like the sound.  Bass was... well, 'lumpy' sounding. In general the sound was not to my liking. Most of what I didn't like was a lower mid / upper bass response that just didn't sound right to me, and the treble didn't seem "open" either, maybe as a result of being overwhelmed by an excess of upper-bass "warmth."  I think on smaller-scale classical music they sounded fine, but on the stuff I listen to, not so much.  

I sold them and bought a pair of SR-007 mk 1's and I like them quite well.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #20,593 of 24,807
So I bought a new pair of MK1 pads that I'm hoping to receive soon (the foams on current one, while still usable and the exterior fine, was too shot overall) and practiced with changing the pads a few times last night... and damn, it was really frustrating indeed! Got it done though, the tip of using a business/credit card to hold on to the lip while folding over the rest really helped.

Just a few questions on the pad replacement:

- While the pads are being replaced, will I have to worry about the dust getting into the drivers and such? (e.g: better to do so in a completely dust free environment) I'm sure they're probably sealed well so they can't get in easily, but I know for ES headphones once dust gets in it becomes really troublesome...

- On the inside of the pads there are two lips, longer one that is supposed to fold into the groove and a smaller one inside to keep the protective mesh in. The proper way to place the steel ring is to put it inside the second lip, correct?

- I don't think they're available, but I'll ask anyway to make sure; are their brown version of the MKII style pads (thicker, better foam, better leather)? I almost went with the MKII pads instead but thought of the colour clash kinda bothered me enough not to... if I do get the black pads I think I'd probably replace the arc and the headband with the black versions as well (too bad the cable isn't swappable...).

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #20,595 of 24,807
Quote:
Pad replacement instructions from Stax provided by spritzer

Thanks for the picture. I recalled seeing that before and went along with it accordingly, but it's good to have exact instructions.

It's interesting how they mark the placement for the metal spring differently for the MK1 and MK2, however... On that diagram there seems to be three "lips" to the pad but on my MK1's I only see two. Am I missing something here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back