The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #19,936 of 24,807
Quote:
I can be curious about something and resist just fine at this level. I haven't been able to get myself to buy blind at 2k+, but as soon as I heard it. Done. Over. Had to have it.

Similar situation with my source at this point. Heard a better one, now have to have it (well, something better).

Having owned a setup almost exactly like the one you have now (Audeze can, HD800, LF, ~2k DAC) I can tell you you're in for a treat when you finally hear the 009. To me it was a significant step up from an already fantastic system.

It's for this reason that I am afraid of the implications of Saturday's meet. Something might happen when I hear the 009. Right now, I can only justify my system to myself. Hearing is believing.... or maybe not. So much love for the TH900 recently by so many respected people, I am not sure it will be so one-sided, but it could be. Some with Stax rigs are saying that they totally get the TH900 as being an end-game system... we shall see. I am thinking it will be a battle for me as I love lots of quality bass. The TH900 has great bass, the 009 even better, but less of it... Maybe the 009 will be so great it won't matter. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #19,937 of 24,807
In some ways to me, dynamics do things stats do not. I have a philosophical problem with saying one of stats or dynamics is better, as they excel in different areas,
some very subtle in ways that you hear or detect with your brain in deep, impossible to express ways.
So this 009 vs. Th900 debate can have no final resolution, even to one person.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #19,940 of 24,807
I'm not too certain why there's a TH-900 and SR-009 debate. I have them both (TH-900 driven by the HP-A8 whilst the SR-009 by the SRM-727A) and at least for my liking, they compliment each other.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #19,941 of 24,807
Quote:
The deep bass that I LOVE on the LCD-3s is there on my SR-009s with unbelievably better control (didn't think that was possible over the LCD-3s 
size]
). Imaging is just under the HD800s, but precision of placement within that sound stage is un-matched. And detail retrieval...no other headphone comes close to them. I heard things on the SR-009s these past few days that none of my other headphones (past or present) has ever revealed. And mostly on recordings that I've known for over 20 - 25 years!

More to come...

Yes I know you loved your LCD-3's. When I tried to tell you back in May about this amazing Stax combo SR-009/SRM-727 I don't think you wanted to even hear about it.
Now you know why I bailed out on the LCD-3's and rolled the dice on are Stax system back in December. 
As Musicman and others that have gotten this Stax system over the last 9 or so months, all say the same thing as you are now saying. 

The only thing I would disagree on is what you are saying about the HD800's and being better on imaging, but then again I have the Realiser and AIX sound studio's PRIR's (copys of there 5.1/7.1 HQ sound systems).

Enjoy and know that your new Stax system will only keep getting better, as you retrain your brain and ears to really start to focus on the detail and so much more.

ss

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #19,942 of 24,807
Quote:
Well, I use them in a very llittle room 15.5 square meters.  bought some time ago two Stax DA-80 mono-amplifiers which can make them sing. DA-100 or DMA x2 would be better but you're right.

Regards Georg

I bet they sound incredible. I wanted to get a DA80 for my Quads. Never could find one close by that was in good enough shape. It's a great amplifier!

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #19,943 of 24,807
Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find it:

Could someone explain Pre-Heat on my SRM-T1? Do I just click it for a few minutes before I turn on the power switch or do I leave the power switch on all the time and un-click the preheat when I'm done listening to turn off the tubes? It's confusing.

Just had the new Toshiba matched pair biased and the unit sounds fantastic! Old tubes were distorting... was worried it was the headphone but it wasn't which was a huge relief. Next step is to get my turntable setup correctly in the new apartment to reduce the sibilance and then I'll be ready to really evaluate the Lambda Signatures.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #19,944 of 24,807
I'm not too certain why there's a TH-900 and SR-009 debate. I have them both (TH-900 driven by the HP-A8 whilst the SR-009 by the SRM-727A) and at least for my liking, they compliment each other.

Seems the consensus of owners of both is that these two cans are complimentary. But how are they complimentary? What does each headphone excel at in your opinion?

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #19,945 of 24,807
Quote:
Seems the consensus of owners of both is that these two cans are complimentary. But how are they complimentary? What does each headphone excel at in your opinion?

The resolution and transparency of the SR-009 is unsurpassed but the TH-900 has more...ahem...bass - bear in mind the amps I have driving them. No money for any BHSE or LL to see if the SR-009's bass can "increase" to the TH-900's level.

Basically, if I'm listening to jazz/classical, etc. I'd pick the SR-009. If I'm listening to (and please don't laugh), Top Gun or Footloose (see the Kenny Loggins trend there :wink:?), I think I'd rather pick the TH-900 for that genre. So with these two cans, it covers the range of genre I listen to.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #19,947 of 24,807
Quote:

Well, crap.

I've never been that tempted to try a Stax rig, but knowing how closely my listening preferences align with Peter's tastes... crap.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Honestly now that the seed of doubt is planted you may as well just buy them 009. It'll never get out of your head, and I can say from experience (and people telling me to) that you may as well just do it.

EDIT: Holy crap typos.

They are just that darn good! Listening to older Sabbath now (with Ozzy) and I am amazed at the versatility of these headphones. Simply amazed. I just wish they weren't $5k. 
confused.gif

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #19,948 of 24,807
Quote:
Why I will keep both :)

Nice thinking! 
smile.gif

Quote:

Yes I know you loved your LCD-3's. When I tried to tell you back in May about this amazing Stax combo SR-009/SRM-727 I don't think you wanted to even hear about it.
Now you know why I bailed out on the LCD-3's and rolled the dice on are Stax system back in December. 
As Musicman and others that have gotten this Stax system over the last 9 or so months, all say the same thing as you are now saying. 

The only thing I would disagree on is what you are saying about the HD800's and being better on imaging, but then again I have the Realiser and AIX sound studio's PRIR's (copys of there 5.1/7.1 HQ sound systems).

Enjoy and know that your new Stax system will only keep getting better, as you retrain your brain and ears to really start to focus on the detail and so much more.

ss

Correction Peter, "my wallet" didn't want to hear about it. 
tongue.gif
 I still love my LCD-3s, but these are the real deal! 

Just to clarify, I feel the HD800s offer "wider imaging" and a more expansive sound stage. But precision, depth belong to the SR-009s. But your Realiser could be at play too. 
smile.gif

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #19,950 of 24,807
It's good to know that they can be sufficiently impressive off Stax amps, enough to sway you w/ your high caliber dynamic gear.  
--
One thing I don't understand is why doesn't Stax design amps w/ higher voltage output?  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back