The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #19,367 of 24,807
That would be at the STAX jack and ground.
The procedure is here at HF. Run a search.
I think Spritzer has posted it a hundred times.
tongue.gif

Use a quality DMM capable of reading / withstanding 600 volts.
Be careful, you could burn up the amp if these adjustments are done wrong.
DO NOT plug your tester into the bias terminal of the jack.

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #19,368 of 24,807
Offset is the + output from each channel to ground (the ring on the RCA's at the back works well) and the balanced is between + and -.  Do remember that Stax were sometimes extra annoying and swapped the labels for the pots.  Probably thought it was funny...

Quote:
update on malvalve amps

Today is a very enthusiastic article in the German magazine LP about he heamp 3 made by malvalve (4000Euro!)
It is an amp that can drive ALL kinds of headphones
dynamic / electrostatic / magnetostatic   and high efficient speakers.

Well I phoned malvalve to get more information about their headamp one (I on ly need one for electrostatic headphones)

The information I got is really astounding.

Their headamp one is basically an OTL poweramp without output transormers to drive a Stax headphone directly (about 100W!!!)
It is also possible to get switchable transformers to use this headphone amp with loudspeakers.
Their homepage is lacking information at the moment but they'll soon update.

They told me that in their expereince the difference between the different stax amps and their amps is larger than the difference between earspeakers?!
I'll try as soon as possible.
The only problem is that this heapamp one s about 6000Euro plus transormers for loudspeaker usage....

Regards Georg

Just about any push-pull tube amp can do that so nothing astounding about it.  It is even easier with no transformers to worry about, just add some high load for the output and add some output capacitors plus a bias supply and you are good to go.  This doesn't mean it is a good solution though and for 6K€ it better have something more than a switching PSU and a bog standard tube circuit from the 50's. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #19,370 of 24,807
Well, it seems that I've pre-ordered the SR009/SR727II from Elusivedisc today. :blink:

ETA 1-3 weeks. 

Welcome to the club! I'm sure you'll like your set and would love to hear your impressions once you've given them some time. You may wanna hang on to your Bogdan Goldy's as they may be useful for your SRM727II :wink:!!

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #19,371 of 24,807
Quote:
Welcome to the club! I'm sure you'll like your set and would love to hear your impressions once you've given them some time. You may wanna hang on to your Bogdan Goldy's as they may be useful for your SRM727II :wink:!!

Good point. Sale going on-hold.

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #19,373 of 24,807
MH I thought you hated electrostats?  Did you get a chance to audition the 009s?

The BH/009 listing on ebay is pretty shady.  He's trying to use the price of the BHSE and original MSRP of the 009 to validate his system's 'worth'.  His BH is a DIY build that was likely originally sold for parts cost (probably around $2000) then later went to some momo guy who I believe caused damage to the amp and later flipped it.  The BHSE price he quotes is also the version with the ALPS RK50, which is a $1000 upgrade.  Not to mention the difference in build quality (no knock on the builder of that amp as it's a nice build and he's really skilled, but it's kinda hard to compete with HeadAmp build quality) and warranty if something goes wrong.  That BH also has the rails running at lower values IIRC.  He claims the 009 is worth $6000 but it can be had for well under $4500 brand new and probably goes for about $4000 used here.  Total package is probably worth about $5500.

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #19,374 of 24,807
Quote:
MH I thought you hated electrostats?  Did you get a chance to audition the 009s?

The BH/009 listing on ebay is pretty shady.  He's trying to use the price of the BHSE and original MSRP of the 009 to validate his system's 'worth'.  His BH is a DIY build that was likely originally sold for parts cost (probably around $2000) then later went to some momo guy who I believe caused damage to the amp and later flipped it.  The BHSE price he quotes is also the version with the ALPS RK50, which is a $1000 upgrade.  Not to mention the difference in build quality (no knock on the builder of that amp as it's a nice build and he's really skilled, but it's kinda hard to compete with HeadAmp build quality) and warranty if something goes wrong.  That BH also has the rails running at lower values IIRC.  He claims the 009 is worth $6000 but it can be had for well under $4500 brand new and probably goes for about $4000 used here.  Total package is probably worth about $5500.

Wasn't a fan of the e-stats I've heard to this point. 
wink.gif

That said, the sale on at Elusivedisc was too good to pass up and they do seem (and measure) like the real deal. Haven't heard them yet, but dying to. 
smile.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #19,376 of 24,807
MH, what a surprising news! I hope you like the combo, it should probably cure the upgraditis for a while :wink:.

Looking forward to your impressions, whichever direction they swing to!

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #19,377 of 24,807
Quote:
wink.gif

That said, the sale on at Elusivedisc was too good to pass up and they do seem (and measure) like the real deal. Haven't heard them yet, but dying to. 
smile.gif

MH:

you will not be disappointed. Recently got the 009's with the Liquid Lightning and the definitely best the LCD-3's/WA5 combo. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the 009's.

Rumble

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #19,378 of 24,807
So you bought them blind? Oh boy. I hope you end up feeling the way I do about them. I was absolutely floored...and you know the rest. :D

Quote:
wink.gif

smile.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #19,380 of 24,807
Not yet (I ordered them from Jack last week). I finally got it all sold and ordered them straight away. Alex has my LL burning in right now ready for the delivery date from Jack. 

So close...yet so far away.

EDIT: I've been without cans for ~a month and a half. This has been a great sacrifice...but it'll all be worth it.

Quote:
Morbid:

Did you get yours yet? I know you were trying to sell your LF and HD800's.

Rumble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back