The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #19,171 of 24,807
Actually, it's an additional year, up to five years total. If something breaks I call them and they set up the claim, if they can't get it fixed they send me a new one. Easy stuff.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #19,173 of 24,807
Quote:
Actually, it's an additional year, up to five years total. If something breaks I call them and they set up the claim, if they can't get it fixed they send me a new one. Easy stuff.

Do they warranty items purchased internationally though? I remember some wording saying that the original warranty must be eligible in the us or something to that effect...

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #19,174 of 24,807
Do they warranty items purchased internationally though? I remember some wording saying that the original warranty must be eligible in the us or something to that effect...

Yep, they have for me in the past, on two occasions. Once with a shaver I bought in Holland, and another time it was a camcorder sold exclusively in Japan.

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #19,176 of 24,807
Yeah, I have a set. Shamefully, I have to admit that I mostly use them to test an amp before plugging in my more expensive or irreplaceable `phones. :xf_eek: Pretty much all my gear is listed in my profile.

But I do like the way they sound, they're quite unique.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #19,178 of 24,807
They are underrated, that's for sure. If someone made a good portable pro bias amp, I'd probably use them as my travel `phones.

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #19,180 of 24,807
Quote:
Dear Forum.

I need help here bought a pair of Vintage sr-84 from 1992, and i need parts..Tried many on the net, but no positive answer..

Any ideas?

Need a new cable, and the pad on the driver..

There are no spare parts available for these old sets anywhere in the world that I know of. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #19,181 of 24,807
Edited: latest graphs (corrected typos, comparisons with SR007A end SZ2 series)

I joined the bandwagon of headphone measurements :wink:. Motivation is to get some proper data to calibrate my models, here's are cross-post of the graphs I posted in the estart DIY thread (post #449 ), Although not required for the rest of my modeling, I may extract the impulse response and CSD (disclaimer: as usual, this is not to be compared to other measurement, the rig is not calibrated and a flat curve may not correspond to anything neutral).

Repeatability check:

Influence of backing plate used to perform the measurements:

Comparison of SR009 and SR007A (driven from stock 727A amp). Omega 2 is end of SZ2 series, I did not (yet) plug the ports but bend the arch and springs as step gap toward mkI version. Obviously, there's still nasty boominess which is clearly audible:

Free air resonance check:

Pics of the measuring rig:

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #19,183 of 24,807
Edit: as discussed in the other thread, the soft backing is 3mm neoprene (wetsuit material), not PUF. Got confused with the anechoic enclosure materials...

Results looking good! We see the importance of getting a good seal when measuring stats cans. :)

What is PUF? Does it stand for polyurenthane? If so, my measurements conforms to yours.

Thanks! Yes, poly-urethane, although to be honest I don't have the detailed properties. It says urethane foam on the cover but in general, I come across polyurethane foam and we call it PUF.

I was not planning to use such soft backing for my simulation (because I then have to guestimate its properties) but it seems really close to skin (closed cell, surface elasticity). As expected, it affects the results quite a bit (some of it has to do with the varying mic distance from baffle plane).

Will post pics later on and am on my way to measure the 007A for sake of comparison. I was surprised by how well the left and right channels are paired on the 009 (makes me feel I got my money's worth). Curious to see how the 007A does...

Cheers, arnaud

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #19,184 of 24,807
One suprising thing I noticed is how the diaphragm resonance frequency is affected by the backing conditions: 40-45Hz for the plexiglass or puf backing (puf on top of the plexiglass plate) while it's 30-35Hz for the cork backing. I don't think I can predict such variation with simulation and it doesn't appear to be a problem of seal (headphone taken off and back to the stand between measurements which leads to consistent results). Any idea?

Only thing I can think of is slight leakage through the pad because of the cork which artificially decrease the effective enclosed volume stiffness (hence pushing the resonance frequency down). But then, with the free air resonance at 200Hz, the explenation all falls apart... Ahh, I still have so much to learn :)

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #19,185 of 24,807
It's great to see more people setting up their own measurement rigs. We really need to get our own thread going, somewhere to discuss the effect of various materials on the result, what should we consider as neutral results, and how can we process the raw data to get rid of the coupler's influence. :)

Anyways, here're my experiments with an HD650: (I don't have an amp for my sr507 right now, it's harder to get a proper seal with that headphone anyways.)

The red line is using pure neoprene; similar to PUF, green is melamine backing, blue and purple is a ring of neoprene around melamine, probably similar to your "under pad" setup. All setups have an 8mm aluminum plate beneath it.

As you can see, there are variations in resonance frequency around 40-60Hz and 8-11kHz. The variation in the treble region is very similar to your PUF experiments. However, I believe the variation in the 40-60Hz region is caused by a lack of attention to seal in my case. 

I am also curious as to why the free air resonance is at 200Hz vs 30-35Hz and 40-45Hz with a sealed backing. I understand there is a drastic decrease in volume when moving from free air measurements to sealed measurements. Not sure why the resonance frequency would decrease though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back