The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #19,201 of 24,807
Quote:
For lighter music, electrostats have it locked up. For heavier music, the playing field tilts in favor of orthos. At least that's my experience.

Yeah, I had the same opinion until I received the BHSE and swapped it in front of my preamp.

Now, weirdly enough, I actually like the stats a bit more with a lot of modern music (metal, pop, rock, etc.).  The low frequency sounds more impactful now.  I did have to swap out the 6SL7s in my preamp for low noise 6SU7s, though, as it was sounding a bit too uncontrolled with the 6SL7s.  I kind of like the orthos more with classical and jazz.  Still not sure, and my opinion might change in the next few months.  Both aren't quite where I want them to be with vocals.  The HE60 may solve that dilemma.  I need to start A/B testing sources again sometime and upgrade that USB cable.

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #19,202 of 24,807
Quote:
The HE60 may solve that dilemma.

The HE60 is a lot brighter and addictive.
After listening to the HE60, I usually need 3 tracks to get the O2 Mk1 to come to life.
The O2 MK1 is more musical than the HE60.

Aug 13, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #19,203 of 24,807
Quote:

Yeah, I had the same opinion until I received the BHSE and swapped it in front of my preamp.

Now, weirdly enough, I actually like the stats a bit more with a lot of modern music (metal, pop, rock, etc.).  The low frequency sounds more impactful now.  I did have to swap out the 6SL7s in my preamp for low noise 6SU7s, though, as it was sounding a bit too uncontrolled with the 6SL7s.  I kind of like the orthos more with classical and jazz.  Still not sure, and my opinion might change in the next few months.  Both aren't quite where I want them to be with vocals.  The HE60 may solve that dilemma.  I need to start A/B testing sources again sometime and upgrade that USB cable.

After aquiring my LCD2's, I got to agree, the ortho's hit hard.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #19,205 of 24,807
Quote:

Personally, I think metal is the best genre on electrostats.  They handle the complexities far better than any dynamic headphone.

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #19,206 of 24,807
My 507s had broke in for about 1500 hours,
they sound cold, aggressive when I just bought them.

Now they sound soft,warm & liquid, much close to the old lambdas, 
Timbres are more natural than before, and the listening fatigue is gone.
I miss the sharpness sound a bit though.

the difference is huge...

This matches exactly my experience with 507s. They are liquid and effortless.
I borrowed a local headfier 007 mkI and listened to them with my setup for a week: they are truly excellent headphones, but I wasn't sorry to go back to the 507.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #19,207 of 24,807
While the bass on the LCD-2 is impressive it is restrained and colored compared to the 007.  The Stax can go deeper and hit harder (not counting the obvious coloration due to diaphragm modes) off amps of similar caliber.  Now getting the proper fit is crucial to get the most out of the 007 and a stock 007mk1 will only work for people with relatively small heads.  They made the newer models a bit more universal but they still need to be adapted to the user. 

Quote:

My opinion is exactly the opposite on these 2 phones.  I guess it comes down to the music we listen to.  My 007 Mk 1 has not been touched in ages.

That's only because you are crazy my friend!!! 
tongue.gif
  My last ditch attempt to like them was after a strict diet of HD800 and SR-404 for a week but nope, just couldn't do it. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #19,208 of 24,807
Aug 15, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #19,210 of 24,807
Aug 15, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #19,211 of 24,807
Quote:
He's asking way too much.  

I figured as much. $700 might be reasonable if he were including an SRM-1/Mk2 Pro or better amp with it, but an SRD-7 Pro that still needs a speaker amp behind it? I don't think so.

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #19,212 of 24,807
Quote:

This is exactly what i have heard in the past. The 007s, even out of the BHSE had basically no physicallity or impact. They may have more bass quantity compared to the 009s, which is why i think alot of people say otherwise, but that was not my experience. This is what always drove me to orthos instead. But when i heard the 009s, it was a revelation. It was like exactly what i had always hoped stats would be. This is why i must have it. It adds in impact to the sound, which the too polite 007s dont really have. Though its still not as much as an ortho would have, its enough for me :D

So Dave, i would say that you need to hear the 009s, they may change your mind about Stax and heavier music.

Quite opposite experience here. I went through a lot of cans, through dynamic, orthos and staxes; a long travel just to arrive where  it was obvious to start.
Forgetting about the whole pathetic dynamic technology, I still use to drive orthos with my SE DHT amps' speaker output, which, in my opinion, is the only way to go if you want to  squeeze the maximum out of them, and still the LCD2 seems  just a goofy arrogant boy in comparison to the bold audacity and ability of my 007 MK1 driven by the very same amp (and this, interesting enough, just with a different OPT that is necessarily inferior to the speakers one).
And whilst the LCD2 only sounds credible with electronic music, the MK1 is the authority in Music reproduction (I'm only allergic to hip-hop, house and reggae).
I thought LCD2's LFs couldn't be matched but the MK1 simply has more and cleaner and deeper. I may say that, whilst LCD2's LFs hit your head down to your shoulders, MK1's ones shake you down to your belly. And on top of this you can clearly make the difference between the same disc competently ripped and recorded on the best CDR and the original (often exactly the LFs will give you the clue.), whilst, of course just in comparison with Staxes,  with the LCD2 everything is so muddled that you won't realise the cd is completely scratched if it doesn't skip.
Never heard 009 but at, this stage, I can't think of anything I may need from a pair of cans. I'm too compelled now to improve the source, thinking about new amps and, mostly, listening to music.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #19,213 of 24,807
Did some listening with my SR007 Mk2 with the Pawel hp-1 device and the SRM1MK2PP
Changed my mind about the too much bass a little bit .

I like the diffuse field equalization from the ED-1 with lambdas and I recognize the sound of it when using the pawel this way.
binaural mode is also very interesting (a litlle bit more "spectacular" though)

Need some more listening tine....

Regards Georg Georg

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #19,215 of 24,807
Dear Spritzer,

Rotating did some changes for - more than I thtought in the beginning. Well the adjustment is really important and getting used to the earspeakers.
I really enjoy them.

Thanks Georg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back