The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #19,231 of 24,807
I've just tried my 009's the opposite way round and it's the first and last time l try it that way, they were comfortable but not as comfortable as the right way round, also hearing must get used to instruments coming from a certain direction because with having the 009's back to front the music sounded strange. Curiosity got the better of me but at least l now know.

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #19,232 of 24,807
Quote:
I've just tried my 009's the opposite way round and it's the first and last time l try it that way, they were comfortable but not as comfortable as the right way round, also hearing must get used to instruments coming from a certain direction because with having the 009's back to front the music sounded strange. Curiosity got the better of me but at least l now know.

The truth is that proper way is headband covering the eyes. Give it a shout and let us know!

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #19,236 of 24,807
When I shave my face I do my head aswell, so when I put my headphones on I keep my head still otherwise they might slip off.
L3000.gif
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #19,237 of 24,807
Quote:
So i was catching up on the Megatron this evening, and I noticed that I havent seen any Mafia designs using a tube based power supply. Is there a reason for this? i was just thinking since you already had 12 tubes for the amp portion of the megatron, why not add a few more and make the power supply that way as well?

We could do a tube PSU but I really don't see the point.  Semiconductors are just much better suited for this role and using tubes is very wasteful of energy at the levels we operate at.  It also sets us limits as these parts have hard design limits which shouldn't be exceeded or you end up with the arcy-sparky of the Woo amps.  Then there is the whole issue of how to design such a supply.  A tube rectifier with a R-C-R-C- etc. string isn't something we would ever do and a fully regulated tube supply is very costly and complicated.  More heater lines to worry about too as if something like the Megatron didn't have enough of them already... 

I'm not going to say we'll never do one though as we are all over the place these days.  Hell, I'm working on a SET Stax amp and if somebody would have suggested we'd use a tube CCS for an EL34 last year I would have laughed in their face. 
redface.gif
  It's funny how the mere act of trying to fix something that's fundamentally broken such as the B-10 can spark some truly great ideas... 

Quote:
Apologies for a newbie question, but what is the "correct" position of pads on SR-007A? Is the flatter side of a D-shaped cut-out supposed to be pointing back, or toward the face? I'm a bit confused by it - if the cut-out is to follow the shape of the ear, then the flat side should be in front; however pad is thicker there, too - which I would have expected to be at the back, so as to position the earspeakers angled toward the listener...

Confused. :frowning2:

There is no correct way but many place the seam so it is pointing forward and slightly upwards.  Adjust the angle to get the perfect fit. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #19,238 of 24,807
Quote:

We could do a tube PSU but I really don't see the point.  Semiconductors are just much better suited for this role and using tubes is very wasteful of energy at the levels we operate at.  It also sets us limits as these parts have hard design limits which shouldn't be exceeded or you end up with the arcy-sparky of the Woo amps.  Then there is the whole issue of how to design such a supply.  A tube rectifier with a R-C-R-C- etc. string isn't something we would ever do and a fully regulated tube supply is very costly and complicated.  More heater lines to worry about too as if something like the Megatron didn't have enough of them already... 

I'm not going to say we'll never do one though as we are all over the place these days.  Hell, I'm working on a SET Stax amp and if somebody would have suggested we'd use a tube CCS for an EL34 last year I would have laughed in their face. 
redface.gif
  It's funny how the mere act of trying to fix something that's fundamentally broken such as the B-10 can spark some truly great ideas... 

Thanks for the answer Spritzer, i had thought it must be something like that, but was still curious. I was thinking about the KGSSHV, but the talk of the new all tube, but simpler than the DIY T2 build has perked my interest. Plus itll be easier to catch boards this time around since im paying attention. And since KG said the megatron was on the same level as the T2 and BH, im assuming that it will be a better amp than the KGSSHV?

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #19,239 of 24,807
Instructions on how to use the KGSSHV 
smile.gif
:
1- Turn it on
2- Listen
3- Turn it off when done.
4-The End
No tube worries, great for Southern CA's summer.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #19,241 of 24,807
Quote:
Hi Dmitri,
Which amp are you using with the SR-007A's and how do you find them ?

Dave.

Weird - I swear I remember replying to this, but can't seem to find my answer post. :frowning2: Apologies.

I'm using SRM-007tA at the moment; finding the combo very good, but wishing for a bit more bass. There is a new solid state amp on its way to me from high-amp.de, which I am hoping will improve things.

-- Dmitri

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #19,243 of 24,807
Quote:

Weird - I swear I remember replying to this, but can't seem to find my answer post. :frowning2: Apologies.

I'm using SRM-007tA at the moment; finding the combo very good, but wishing for a bit more bass. There is a new solid state amp on its way to me from high-amp.de, which I am hoping will improve things.

-- Dmitri

Last year my headphone + amp combo was the SR-007mk1 and SRM-007t and I felt the SR-007's sounded veiled. Late last year I used them both as part exchange for my source but about a 3 weeks ago I got hear IanG's 007's with his LL and my BHSE and even though I only got to hear the 007's for a short time with those two amps, there was quite an improvement over the SRM-007t.

Dave.

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #19,244 of 24,807
Quote:

Thanks for the answer Spritzer, i had thought it must be something like that, but was still curious. I was thinking about the KGSSHV, but the talk of the new all tube, but simpler than the DIY T2 build has perked my interest. Plus itll be easier to catch boards this time around since im paying attention. And since KG said the megatron was on the same level as the T2 and BH, im assuming that it will be a better amp than the KGSSHV?

I wouldn't really call the Megatron simple as it calls for some rather complex filament wiring and those transformer have to be close to the tubes so a two box setup is not recommended.  The cathode of the CCS EL34's sits way over spec for the tube in terms of the cathode/heater relationship so they need to be fed off an isolated winding and the wires kept as short as is possible.  I'll probably build it in a rather tall box and add an internal second layer to house the PSU and transformer with everything else on the side panels. 

A KGSSHV with offboard heatsinks and the bias current raised will give these amps a run for their money.  While we didn't loose much by scaling the amp down for use with the onboard heatsinks it was always a compromise.  There is only so much power those 2.5" sinks can dissipate but a 3U chassis with 400mm long sinks can do a whole lot more. 

The files needed to order KGSSHV boards are available to everyone and it's pretty easy to order PCB's these days from China.  They do small lots and there is no tooling cost.  

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #19,245 of 24,807
my idea for the megatron is to put 2 filament transformers inside the amplifier box, as close to
the output tubes as possible.  One for each channel to minimize crosstalk. (which is way
way down because its all balanced anyway)  Second box for the high voltage supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back