The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #19,186 of 24,807
On buying NA vs Asia... when I needed service on my 007 MkI I emailed Yama to send them in.  By the time they got back to me, I had shipped my cans to the UK, had them repaired and shipped back to me.  Yama and the UK didn't care where they came from.  But that it took over a month to hear back doesn't add value to a NA warranty to me.  Buy from Japan, and if you need warranty work, ship it back to Japan.  You can do that many times before you spend $1000.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #19,187 of 24,807
Sigma stand question,

hello dear Sigma and Sigma Pro owners. I want to build a Sigma stand and so I'm looking for an worn out old to know how to build one or for measures of stand. I'm also interested in the interior of the stand, becuase I want to use it as a little loudspeaker on my desk.

Regards Georg

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #19,188 of 24,807
So I just recently completed my acquisition of my first eletrostat rig, a SR-007 mk1 paired to a Headamp KGSS, and spending a couple hours with it this morning.  Definitely not initially wowed, but I think I have to retrain my brain from my previous setup, a W3000ANV out of a LF.  But one thing is clear, this chain has flat out the most musicality out of anything I have heard.  I'm toe-tapping non-stop.  I'm going to be happy, I think this is what I've been searching for.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #19,189 of 24,807
So you're not wowed but it's the most musical system you've listened to? Hmm...

Also...Considering getting a used 007 mk1 + LL in between the 009 (as to just not have the LL sitting around). What am I going to miss out on? I heard the 007s at a meet in March and wasn't particularly blown away. Bass seemed off.

Quote:
So I just recently completed my acquisition of my first eletrostat rig, a SR-007 mk1 paired to a Headamp KGSS, and spending a couple hours with it this morning.  Definitely not initially wowed, but I think I have to retrain my brain from my previous setup, a W3000ANV out of a LF.  But one thing is clear, this chain has flat out the most musicality out of anything I have heard.  I'm toe-tapping non-stop.  I'm going to be happy, I think this is what I've been searching for.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #19,190 of 24,807
That was my initial impression of the 007 too, but after the first day/night and what was basically a 9 hour listening session I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It takes the mind a minute but it is a great headphone imo.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #19,193 of 24,807
Quote:
So you're not wowed but it's the most musical system you've listened to? Hmm...

Also...Considering getting a used 007 mk1 + LL in between the 009 (as to just not have the LL sitting around). What am I going to miss out on? I heard the 007s at a meet in March and wasn't particularly blown away. Bass seemed off.

It took me awhile to get my head around the 007s, but once I got used to them, the deficiencies of most dynamics become pretty glaring.

It definitely takes a bit of time to get used to the stats.  I've had a lot of people listen to my setup and take a few hours of uninterrupted listening as they try to get used to the signature.

The stats aren't necessarily as fun as the orthos, but they are generally more musical.  Fwiw, I like both.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #19,194 of 24,807
Possibly. Gives me an excuse (and possibility) to try save quite a bit of money.

Quote:
Meet impressions of Stax are usually inaccurate, I guess that's good news MT?

I'm sure it's here somewhere but what in particular is your issue with the 009? Serious question.

Quote:
There is nothing the 009 does better than any of my 007Mk1's.  I've finally given up on the 009 after receiving two other sets just to check if mine were bad and packed them away.  Instead I just bought another SR-Omega which may not be perfect but is never guilty of being this annoying. 

My biggest concern is the physicality of the 007. I know the 009 has a nice kick.

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #19,197 of 24,807
Quote:
Possibly. Gives me an excuse (and possibility) to try save quite a bit of money.

Yup.

My biggest concern is the physicality of the 007. I know the 009 has a nice kick.

I would think the 007 would have more kick if anything.  Personally I've heard it the same way as you have.  SR009 kick > 007MKI kick, but the best I'm amp I've heard with a 007 is an SRM-717.  And it could just be because that phone's so inefficient that there's sometimes a lack of "kick."

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #19,198 of 24,807
I think I heard them on a 727 and a proto LL. It was my understanding that that's just how 'stats were. The electrostatic speakers I heard were the same way. Wall of sound, but no necessarily a wall that 'moves through you'. That's one reason I was so blown away by the 009s. I got that little dynamic kick back.

Quote:

Yup.

I would think the 007 would have more kick if anything.  Personally I've heard it the same way as you have.  SR009 kick > 007MKI kick, but the best I'm amp I've heard with a 007 is an SRM-717.  And it could just be because that phone's so inefficient that there's sometimes a lack of "kick."

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #19,199 of 24,807
Quote:
I think I heard them on a 727 and a proto LL. It was my understanding that that's just how 'stats were. The electrostatic speakers I heard were the same way. Wall of sound, but no necessarily a wall that 'moves through you'. That's one reason I was so blown away by the 009s. I got that little dynamic kick back.

This is exactly what i have heard in the past. The 007s, even out of the BHSE had basically no physicallity or impact. They may have more bass quantity compared to the 009s, which is why i think alot of people say otherwise, but that was not my experience. This is what always drove me to orthos instead. But when i heard the 009s, it was a revelation. It was like exactly what i had always hoped stats would be. This is why i must have it. It adds in impact to the sound, which the too polite 007s dont really have. Though its still not as much as an ortho would have, its enough for me :D

So Dave, i would say that you need to hear the 009s, they may change your mind about Stax and heavier music.

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #19,200 of 24,807
Quote:
There is nothing the 009 does better than any of my 007Mk1's.  I've finally given up on the 009 after receiving two other sets just to check if mine were bad and packed them away.  Instead I just bought another SR-Omega which may not be perfect but is never guilty of being this annoying. 

My 507s had broke in for about 1500 hours,
they sound cold, aggressive when I just bought them.

Now they sound soft,warm & liquid, much close to the old lambdas, 
Timbres are more natural than before, and the listening fatigue is gone.
I miss the sharpness sound a bit though.

the difference is huge...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back