The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #14,881 of 24,807
Anyone experienced any static upon initial powering on of the amplifier with the earspeakers plugged in?

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #14,883 of 24,807

Quote:
When nothing is playing, just that weird "amp turning on" sound. When something is playing, it clips for 1-5 seconds. (static, maybe)

Thanks for that mate. Nothing really to update on my end but will post my solution to my problem as soon as i find one.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #14,886 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone listened to SR-007Mk2 being driven either by Headamp KGSS or Woo GES ?

The KGSS/007MK2 is amazing sounding. The combo makes most Lambdas sound lifeless and unnatural in comparison. You see, most Lambdas have this dryness in their sounds which could be an issue with "heavier" music but the Omega fixes this issue quite marvelously. Gone also is the fuzzy bass that both 404 models exhibit. 

Well, I know that I'm getting a top-of-the-line Stax model (C32) somewhere in the future as that's the kind of sound that I'm looking for. The LCD2/β22 serves as a very good compromise for the time being though as I feel that it's just one step behind 007MK1/MK2 with the latter edging the LCD2 with mainly more treble details and spaciousness. The HE6 has flawed imaging and separation which are very bothersome for me. 

Lambdas sound unnatural with the KGSS, not as much so with SRD-type boxes, the STAX tube hybrids or the Woo GES.  I found the SR-007 and KGSS to have a wonderful sound but with a bit too much bass slam.  I must prefer the warm fuzzy I get with Lambdas.

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #14,887 of 24,807
I haven't tried many combinations with the SRD transformers but I had compared a Pro-bias SRM1/MK2 with a SRD7 Pro/Gainclone before and I much prefer the SRM1/MK2. That was with an SR-Lambda and 404LE. I haven't tried the tube hybrid and GES before. 

If I have to choose a Lambda then the 202 will get my vote, at least compared to what I've heard (SR-Lambda, 303, 404 Signature, 404LE). Open and spacious presentation, good timbre (I much prefer the timbre of 202 compared to 404/404LE) and comes with a price that doesn't break your wallet. Once you get to the 404LE and above the price starts to creep very close on the new Orthodynamics and I'm honestly not sure whether they are truly better than the LCD2/HE6. I think it's better to stick with a cheaper Lambda and jump straight onto the O2 bandwagon once the funds permit. 

It's just a shame that the 007MK1 and MK2 slightly sacrifice that delicious open and spacious presentation of the Lambda to get actual bass and impact. I wish the C32 can improve on this somewhat. 

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #14,888 of 24,807
@K3cT, I agree entirely on your take of the 202's.
Best bang for the buck, I absolutely love the sound.
My next jump up (when I can afford it) will be the O2's,
possibly the new flagship if under $4K.

BTW, Your avi is hawt!  Who is she?

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #14,889 of 24,807
im one of the stats avid fans that jump from kgss/404LE to 007mk2. while i love 404le, i cannot stand the treble/high edginess especially on some recording, it simply becomes too bright for me. o2 tame this. i have chance to listen briefly to 202 setup with CD as transport and I believe it sounded great on limited genre. one thing missing on 202 (like most people said) is the bass and the impact. while in the world of dynamic, its rewarding to experienced every little steps of upgrades, for stats it would be better for one to just experience the flavor of the entry level in this case 2020 or esp950/e90 and gather enough funds to jump straight to end of the journey ie. at least kgss with o2. anywhere between that is just an icing on the cake.

one more thing i would like to mention is source. stats unlike most of dynamic require a good source. but with the dissemination of great budget dacs lately, this became one less of worry.......

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #14,890 of 24,807
I'm also a big fan of the SR-202s!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
@K3cT, I agree entirely on your take of the 202's.
Best bang for the buck, I absolutely love the sound.
My next jump up (when I can afford it) will be the O2's,
possibly the new flagship if under $4K.

BTW, Your avi is hawt!  Who is she?

K3cT's avatar is cropped from some digital art by Lysol-Jones. It's supposed to be Wendy (from Wendy's),

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #14,892 of 24,807
Hi, guys. I'm very intrigued by electrostats but have never heard one. (yes, newbie) Question for you sr-001, sr-003, or sr-202/207 owners: How do does the detail resolution in the midrange of these cans (with their corresponding amps or whatnot) compare to other headphones or universal IEMs? Do they top them in terms of instruments separation? Do they deal as well with very complex passages? I'm considering purchasing the srs-005s system to have a taste of electrostatic sound, or the sr-001 mk2 for portability; but may very well go for the srs-2170 depending on their sonic signatures. I prefer a just slightly warm sound with somewhat forward midrange. I also dislike excess warmth, much more than I dislike flat neutral. 98% of the music I listen to is vocal, so midrange performance is literally everything to me. I would prefer a can with impeccable midrange and crappy bass&treble over a can with most unbelievable bass&treble but just very good midrange, anyday. I'll also appreciate any other inputs or advice you guys will give.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #14,894 of 24,807

Quote:
Hi, guys. I'm very intrigued by electrostats but have never heard one. (yes, newbie) Question for you sr-001, sr-003, or sr-202/207 owners: How do does the detail resolution in the midrange of these cans (with their corresponding amps or whatnot) compare to other headphones or universal IEMs? Do they top them in terms of instruments separation? Do they deal as well with very complex passages? I'm considering purchasing the srs-005s system to have a taste of electrostatic sound, or the sr-001 mk2 for portability; but may very well go for the srs-2170 depending on their sonic signatures. I prefer a just slightly warm sound with somewhat forward midrange. I also dislike excess warmth, much more than I dislike flat neutral. 98% of the music I listen to is vocal, so midrange performance is literally everything to me. I would prefer a can with impeccable midrange and crappy bass&treble over a can with most unbelievable bass&treble but just very good midrange, anyday. I'll also appreciate any other inputs or advice you guys will give.

Detail separation - the best. Complex passages - no problem.
These two aspects are where the electrostats shine due to their "fast transient response time".
Basically that means that the diaphrams in the headphones move very quickly due to their super light weight,
much more so than a dynamic type headphone's heavier coil and cone drivers.
This quick movement equates to much sharper, better defined sound overall.
There are only a handful of dynamic and orthodynamic phones ever made that even come close.
These cost much more than the basic Stax and Koss setups. 

Stax headhones (they call them "earspeakers") are very demanding of the source used
to render their pristine sound. An Ipod wont cut it. Most MP3 recordings wont cut it.
You need a decent quality DAC and computer setup with at least 44.1K FLAC recordings
or CD transport to bring out the best in these (or any headphone for that matter.)
Because the electrostat design is so resolving in their sound output, a bad source's flaws will be magnified.
Garbage in, BIGGER garbage out.

FWIW, highs are great, midrange is great, bass is somewhat lacking, excellent tonality, soundstage is great.
Many say that the top of the line Stax have much improved bass, but at the expense of reduced soundstage.
I dont know, I have never heard those.

The above are my impressions listening to my SR-202's and the Lambda Pros that I have owned in the past.
I have never listened to the IEM variants.

And FWIW, I tend to like brillant highs, not rolled off or etched. I like a well defined midrange, not veiled or congested.
I am not a fan of "big bass". I do like it's presence in a balanced measure, taught and punchy, not boomy or too forward.
My 202's still amaze me in these regards. I AM in a happy place! (Oh, and I'm a n00b too)

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #14,895 of 24,807
@livewire

You addressed every one of my concerns. Thanks! Yes, I already knew the basic concept of es drivers; just wasn't sure if all of that translated to superior real performance, especially with new balanced armatures, orthos and dynamics popping up here and there continually. I think BA and orthodynamics operate along the same push-pull principle, except their diaphragms are nowhere near as light (proportionately in the case of BA). In BA, I think that can be compensated for with well-implemented crossovers networks and more drivers (and even more still). I have a uDAC that I think can feed adequate signals into the Stax energizers. I listen to flacs almost exclusively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back