The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #14,911 of 24,807
Quote:
Is the hum on the order of 50, 60, 120, 180, or 240 Hz? It sounds like a filter cap in your amplifier is probably going or perhaps an active element as well.

The thing is it happens on both adapters I have, and it isn't a frequency based hum.  The hum also isn't constant, it slowly builds.

I think the mylar is shot actually and is sticking partially to the stator.  Something similar happened with my SR-5 before they went shot.  If I suck in on the right cup with the hum it goes away, if I blow in it comes back back.  This would explain why discharging and plugging them in provides a temp fix, presumably it takes a while for them to reach full voltage potential on the mylar and eventually the right sound/amplitude causes them to stick.

At this point I think it's safe saying that all old Stax are pretty much going shot, at least from my experience (and crap luck) . . .

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #14,912 of 24,807
So while I'm considering high end headphones such as LCD-2 and HD800, I figured I should be fair and give Stax a chance as well. What kind of setup could I snag for around $1,000? How might it compare to say, the LCD-2?

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #14,913 of 24,807

Quote:
So while I'm considering high end headphones such as LCD-2 and HD800, I figured I should be fair and give Stax a chance as well. What kind of setup could I snag for around $1,000? How might it compare to say, the LCD-2?

I got a stax lambda signature and a T1 for just shy of a grand.

It is much better than the LCD2 and HD800, IMO (which is why I bought a stax rig in the first place, instead of the other two).. For reference, I heard hte LCD-2 and the lambda I bought on the same day and preferred the lambda outright.

You have several options - for amps I'd probably stick to an SRM1/mk2 or a T1.
For stax, I'd probably look at vintage lambda models if you're going to stay sub 1k, or a 202 or 207. Many options could end up less than 1k, as the lambda signature is one of the more expensive vintage lambdas.

Hope that helps

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #14,916 of 24,807

Quote:

For me, LCD2 (or HE6 despite its quirky imaging) with a proper setup is generally better than all the Lambdas that I've heard (SR-Lambda, 202, 303, 404 Signature, and 404LE) as while it lacks the latter's open and spacious presentation, on a whole it presents a more balanced presentation from top to bottom. For example, none of the Lambdas over there do bass as good and clean as the LCD2. The SR-507 indeed might be a different story but my personal guess is it won't stray too far from a Lambda's general sound signature.

A properly set-up 007MK1 or MK2 is a different story though. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #14,917 of 24,807

Quote:
For example, none of the Lambdas over there do bass as good and clean as the LCD2.

This is also my experience, however I think the lambdas do a much better job of all other frequencies and are generally more balanced overall.

Quote:
Shike said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey everyone,

Got a quick question.  I decided to snag a pair of SR-3 New Stax and having a bit of an oddity with them.  After listening to music for a while (say an hour or two) I start getting a hum in either one or both sides.  When I pull out the plug and short the pins against my hand I hear a peeling or hissing sound then a pop.  Plugging them back in the hum is gone.

Thoughts on what you think is going on with them?

You might benefit sending a PM to some of the users who have technical experience with the innards of stax products on the "other site" (spritzer comes to mind).

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #14,918 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:
For example, none of the Lambdas over there do bass as good and clean as the LCD2.

This is also my experience, however I think the lambdas do a much better job of all other frequencies and are generally more balanced overall.

Quote:
Shike said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey everyone,

Got a quick question.  I decided to snag a pair of SR-3 New Stax and having a bit of an oddity with them.  After listening to music for a while (say an hour or two) I start getting a hum in either one or both sides.  When I pull out the plug and short the pins against my hand I hear a peeling or hissing sound then a pop.  Plugging them back in the hum is gone.

Thoughts on what you think is going on with them?

You might benefit sending a PM to some of the users who have technical experience with the innards of stax products on the "other site" (spritzer comes to mind).

Already figured out what's wrong, the Mylar has stretched/lost tension.  Another vintage set bites the dust -_-

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #14,919 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. What would be the best place to buy? Ebay?

Head-fi. There's many helpful members in the stax department.

I'll PM you with more info.

PriceJapan is pretty good if you want new. Depending on your countries voltage, you might need to use a stepdown converter. But you´ll save up to 50% depending on the local reseller prices. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #14,920 of 24,807

So is amazon.co.jp! Prices are really low for STAX in Japan. All that is needed now is a reliable mail forwarding service to the US or wherever!

Quote:
PriceJapan is pretty good if you want new. Depending on your countries voltage, you might need to use a stepdown converter. But you´ll save up to 50% depending on the local reseller prices. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #14,921 of 24,807
Well now I am back home. I have two pair of Lambda Signatures. One pair I have been using are almost like new and even original soft pad but the left side bass seemed weak. My other pair I have not used in months are like my beater pair.
They were owned by a smoker.The pads are hard the grill was dented in and dust cover a bit out of shape but not broken. So I plug them in for a change and the bass is back. So it must not be the amp. I just swapped the old hard pads for
the softer ones.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #14,922 of 24,807
Could you be more specific?  What is a mail forwarding service?

Can't you just order from these sources in Japan, and have the items shipped via EMS, or DHL, or other shippers (e.g. FedEx, or UPS, etc.), directly to your address in the USA???  You just work that out with the vendor - right?

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #14,924 of 24,807

Quote:
PriceJapan is pretty good if you want new. Depending on your countries voltage, you might need to use a stepdown converter.

Can you use any good converter, purchased over the internet... or... do you need a special one, or the ones provided by Price Japan, or other Japanese Stax vendors???

Does the converter introduce any noise?  I had used one for a Dark Voice amp and Senns / Grados / ATHs, and it was perfectly quiet - are the Stax amps / phones any more revealing of such noise?

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #14,925 of 24,807
Hey guys,

I just received a pair of SR-202's.  Currently though all my adapters are normal bias.  I've heard about people modding the SRD-7 to Pro bias levels.  Does anyone have directions on how to do this?  Thanks.

EDIT:

Seems I just have to convert it to a voltage quadrupler.  Is there a specific diode and voltage/capacitance caps I should use?

PS:

It says in the manual that using the SR-202 with normal bias rather than pro may damage them if used at a higher volume?  Does anyone have any info on why this is and whether I should be concerned or whether it's alright for the time being in your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back