The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #14,852 of 24,807
Good. Just wanted to make sure my price was ok. Figures to be worth that much. Using it with a pair of Nova Basics and my receiver made for some very clean sound.

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #14,855 of 24,807

Quote:
Has anyone listened to SR-007Mk2 being driven either by Headamp KGSS or Woo GES ?

I don't think anyone has ever heard that Combo...

biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #14,857 of 24,807
Jan 31, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #14,858 of 24,807

Quote:
Has anyone listened to SR-007Mk2 being driven either by Headamp KGSS or Woo GES ?

Quote:
Headphoneaddict had the Woo GES and O2MkII.

Yeah, the GES sounded nice with the O2 Mk2, and was a better match with those than the Mk1.  I tried many tube combinations and found a couple that worked well with them (GE "Wurlitzer" 12AX7, and Telefunken 12AX7 smooth plates).  But, I felt that it needed more power for listening to live recordings.  At normal volumes it was fine, but I always wished for another 3dB of headroom for loud passages.  

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #14,859 of 24,807

Quote:

The KGSS/007MK2 is amazing sounding. The combo makes most Lambdas sound lifeless and unnatural in comparison. You see, most Lambdas have this dryness in their sounds which could be an issue with "heavier" music but the Omega fixes this issue quite marvelously. Gone also is the fuzzy bass that both 404 models exhibit. 

Well, I know that I'm getting a top-of-the-line Stax model (C32) somewhere in the future as that's the kind of sound that I'm looking for. The LCD2/β22 serves as a very good compromise for the time being though as I feel that it's just one step behind 007MK1/MK2 with the latter edging the LCD2 with mainly more treble details and spaciousness. The HE6 has flawed imaging and separation which are very bothersome for me. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #14,861 of 24,807
I've a question for all the other more experienced stats head-fiers. I've just gotten into stats and because of that, i don't have much of a reference point to begin with.

Met with a problem of sorts today and it's some serious channel imbalance on my SR-507s. I just bought it last week and it worked perfectly initially but beginning from yesterday, without me so much as moving the volume knob, the music would get softer and softer till i need to turn the volume right up to get an even decent volume. And when i do that, the music gets really muffled like listening out of a radio turned right up. Now when i do try to listen to them, they have this severe channel imbalance. 

Another thing, when i initially turn my stats amplifiers on, is it normal for the earspeakers to have some audible static coming from them? This happens even tho the amp is on minimum volume and the static does subside after say 30-60secs. It's just static that gradually fades away.

Any idea why this might be the case or has anyone else experienced these problems?

Jan 31, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #14,862 of 24,807

Quote:
I've a question for all the other more experienced stats head-fiers. I've just gotten into stats and because of that, i don't have much of a reference point to begin with.

Met with a problem of sorts today and it's some serious channel imbalance on my SR-507s. I just bought it last week and it worked perfectly initially but beginning from yesterday, without me so much as moving the volume knob, the music would get softer and softer till i need to turn the volume right up to get an even decent volume. And when i do that, the music gets really muffled like listening out of a radio turned right up. Now when i do try to listen to them, they have this severe channel imbalance. 

Another thing, when i initially turn my stats amplifiers on, is it normal for the earspeakers to have some audible static coming from them? This happens even tho the amp is on minimum volume and the static does subside after say 30-60secs. It's just static that gradually fades away.

Any idea why this might be the case or has anyone else experienced these problems?

You have evaporative or refrigerative air conditioning? I had the same problems under conditions of extreme humidity (i.e. evaporative air conditioning and humid weather). Sent mine back to be checked and nothing at all wrong. Worked fine when the humidity dropped and still does. Sometimes it was one channel, sometimes both. 
The Quad ESL's also hate it - maximum loudness is wayyyyyy down at the moment under exactly the above conditions.
Those 507s are seriously good phones. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #14,863 of 24,807

Quote:
You have evaporative or refrigerative air conditioning? I had the same problems under conditions of extreme humidity (i.e. evaporative air conditioning and humid weather). Sent mine back to be checked and nothing at all wrong. Worked fine when the humidity dropped and still does. Sometimes it was one channel, sometimes both. 
The Quad ESL's also hate it - maximum loudness is wayyyyyy down at the moment under exactly the above conditions.
Those 507s are seriously good phones. 

Wow! Looks like i'll have to have a 2nd look at them. I'm here at Brisbane and it seems pretty humid now but strange since i did just arrive from Singapore and it worked perfectly there, granted tho, i've only just them indoors with the air-con turned right up and i've no air-cnoditioning to speak of in my place here in Brisbane.

Anyone else can confirm this strange phenomenon? Could it be that STAX just tested the phones for use in Japan where humidity might be way low all around the year? I'ld be seriously disappointed if this does happen to be the case! :frowning2:

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #14,864 of 24,807

get a multimeter, set it to 1kv ac max. get a 1khz mono tone (e.g. from audacity), at the hp socket, measure r+/r-, l+/l- http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/317133/who-knows-what-the-pin-out-is-for-stax-and-sennheiser-electrostatics#post_5609792 (if the multimeter has max min mode, you can use that and compare the min max as well). compare. Imo it sounds more like a problem with your srm1. How long have you had it for/how roughed up is the unit/has it been serviced?
Alternatively, if you can borrow a pair of another pro-bias hp, plug them in and have a listen for the channel imbalance.

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #14,865 of 24,807

Quote:
A[quote name="crumpler" url="/forum/thread/223263/the-stax-thread-new/14850#post_7241428"] Met with a problem of sorts today and it's some serious channel imbalance on my SR-507s. I just bought it last week and it worked perfectly initially but beginning from yesterday, without me so much as moving the volume knob, the music would get softer and softer till i need to turn the volume right up to get an even decent volume. And when i do that, the music gets really muffled like listening out of a radio turned right up. Now when i do try to listen to them, they have this severe channel imbalance.
get a multimeter, set it to 1kv ac max. get a 1khz mono tone (e.g. from audacity), at the hp socket, measure r+/r-, l+/l- http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/317133/who-knows-what-the-pin-out-is-for-stax-and-sennheiser-electrostatics#post_5609792 (if the multimeter has max min mode, you can use that and compare the min max as well). compare. Imo it sounds more like a problem with your srm1. How long have you had it for/how roughed up is the unit/has it been serviced? Alternatively, if you can borrow a pair of another pro-bias hp, plug them in and have a listen for the channel imbalance.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply! The severe channel imbalance actually isn't limited to one side but actually switches around. It was really muffled/low volume on the left earspeaker early this afternoon but after some extensive playing, the right earspeaker is now muffled/low volume, which was really perplexing cos i'll have difficulty describing this problem to the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back