The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #11,611 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Twice a week, I coat my SR lambda in a thick coat of Sherwood-derived musk. It is so that, long after my bones have turned to dust and the middle schools bearing my name have been obliterated, the giant roaches wearing them will have no choice but to remember me still.

"Achilles absent, was Achilles still."

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #11,612 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry - I should have known you'd have a selection of "celebrity" headphones. I must have missed them during last month's meet.

It is a strange thing. My olfactory senses are likely impaired from years of chaning diapers.

They were in one of the two silver flight cases, so you missed smelling them. Sorry.

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #11,613 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing I like about the Sigma that being less detailed can be an advantage as well, for a lot of music that are not recorded very well. Also, it is almost never fatiguing unlike the Lambda Sig I just got which can bite
smily_headphones1.gif
I wouldn't describe them as boring.

I also got an SRD-7 MK2 adapter, although I have no speaker amp to try it with. Maybe with my friend's Jadis Orchestra tube amp
wink_face.gif

Did you manage to have a listen with the Jadis yet? It would be nice to hear about it since I don't know of anyone else with a Jadis/Stax combo
tongue_smile.gif

I have tested my Lambda's with... lesser... amps and THERE is a substantial difference. So much so that the Stax is now resident in my listening room and not in the office anymore
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #11,614 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you manage to have a listen with the Jadis yet?

No, I couldn't and I may never will because I sold them
frown.gif

But with the Audiolab amp was pretty good driving the Sigma. My friend told me that he compared the SRD-7 SB and SRD-7 MK2 SB (using the normal bias socket) and the latter clearly sounded better so the parts used in the adapter seem to matter as well.

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #11,616 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Achilles absent, was Achilles still."

Look upon me, ye mighty, and despair

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #11,618 of 24,807
Hey so I'm new to stats and was wondering if there's a proper way of turning them on/plugging in. With my dynamic cans I have always first turned the amp on while leaving it at lowest volume, then plug the cans in and then turn the amp up. Then when turning off I would turn the volume all the way down then unplug them and turn the amp off.

Now i'm unsure even if my method for the dynamic headphones is proper, but that doesn't matter. Again, is there a certain way I should be powering up/off my stax headphones? I have the sr202 with srm-252II

Aug 8, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #11,619 of 24,807
^ I use this method and have not ran into problems for 3 years.

Turn ON:
1. Plug in headphone (if unplugged).
2. Turn on the amplifier.
3. Get some music going (Play).
4. Turn volume up to appropriate level.

Turn OFF:
1. Turn volume all the way down.
2. Stop music.
3. Turn of the amplifier.
4. Unplug headphone (or leave them in).

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #11,620 of 24,807
Need help!
My old Stax Srm-1/mk2 energizer no output for PRO headphones. On the PCB is empty space for a pro bias supply. Prompt please where to get the schematic or what components I need to install here (parameters).
Thanks

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #11,621 of 24,807
Need help!
My old Stax Srm-1/mk2 energizer no output for PRO headphones. On the PCB is empty space for a pro bias supply. Prompt please where to get the schematic or what components I need to install here (parameters).
Thanks
i-2.jpg

i-3.jpg

i-1.jpg

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #11,622 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I use this method and have not ran into problems for 3 years.

Turn ON:
1. Plug in headphone (if unplugged).
2. Turn on the amplifier.
3. Get some music going (Play).
4. Turn volume up to appropriate level.

Turn OFF:
1. Turn volume all the way down.
2. Stop music.
3. Turn of the amplifier.
4. Unplug headphone (or leave them in).

krmathis, you forgot to include LOVE before and after,

0.1. Take out of the airtight padded hardcase
0.2. Visually admire them
0.3. Delicately caress with a microfiber cloth
0.4. Delicately blow any dust particles that have dared to touch them

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #11,625 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
krmathis, you forgot to include LOVE before and after,

0.1. Take out of the airtight padded hardcase
0.2. Visually admire them
0.3. Delicately caress with a microfiber cloth
0.4. Delicately blow any dust particles that have dared to touch them

After having listened to my new stax for a couple days now, I have to say I have caught myself doing all of that. I woke up today and just laid in my bed staring at my stax wondering if I was dreaming still hahaha.

Anyway, I have a question! So I'm using the sr202 and was wondering how I should go about placing them on my ears. Should I place them farther forward & down like I have read you should do with dynamic headphones? I'm starting to doubt it even matters with these babies since they haven't left me unimpressed yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back