The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #11,641 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by yale.reinstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I don't see why I want to listen so much when I'm begging for sleep while not enjoying them as much when I'm not
frown.gif

There's the reason. You're manufacturing an internal conflict, the tension from which is making for a perceived more intense listening experience.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #11,642 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC it goes from 580V -> something lower and not the other way around.

It's 580v down to 480v but do remeber to discharge the phones while checking for differences since they can hold a charge for a while.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #11,643 of 24,807
i ve got another quick question...

i just bought an srd-7 from a fellow head-fier thinkink it would be an upgrade (following Audiocats advice). now i just saw Spritzer wrote somewhere that the srd 7 and srd 6 have same transformers and circuit.

now who says right? i m all mixed up
wink.gif

has someone ever took out the top of both to see inside?i wish i can cancel the sale on time if they are they same.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #11,646 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not understanding what you are buying really isn't appropriate reason for asking for a void on the sale in my opinion.

Absolutely true statement.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #11,648 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the SRD-6SB sounded like **** to me while the SRD-7SBmk2 was acceptable. Just judging by the size of their enclosures can they really be using the same transformers?

They sure look identical and the transformers in the SRD-7 are only half the height of the enclosure:

I just bought a SRD-6 so we'll find out...

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #11,649 of 24,807
Just thinking out loud, if the transformers are the same (SRD6SB and SRD7SBmk2), I can only think of the speaker wires and/or the selector that is causing the sound difference. The bias should not be making such a big difference if the voltage is the same. Moreover both are SB as well. Unless the transformers look the same but are different internally from use of different components (ie. the core, and the quality of the wires, presuming that the windings are the same).

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #11,650 of 24,807
The selector wouldn't be in the signal path, would it? It should only have a very minimal impact on the sound, if I understand its function correctly.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #11,652 of 24,807
as far as i understand it, the switch is only a selector for the ground path, so in an unbalanced configuaration it will not affect the sound.

also, i notice that when i wire the transformers directly to the input wires inside my srd-6, the sound improve quite a bit, thus bypassing some kind of protection resistors in the signal path ( not sure about these devices called PTHbd4r7m murata)

btw the srd-6 trafos (the volume of the taped portion) are 1,8*2,3*3,0 cm approximately. if the "taped" area is a sushi slice, then 1,8 cm would be the slice spacing(best analogy i could find
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #11,654 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by pidesd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as far as i understand it, the switch is only a selector for the ground path, so in an unbalanced configuaration it will not affect the sound.

also, i notice that when i wire the transformers directly to the input wires inside my srd-6, the sound improve quite a bit, thus bypassing some kind of protection resistors in the signal path ( not sure about these devices called PTHbd4r7m murata)

btw the srd-6 trafos (the volume of the taped portion) are 1,8*2,3*3,0 cm approximately. if the "taped" area is a sushi slice, then 1,8 cm would be the slice spacing(best analogy i could find
smily_headphones1.gif
)

The switch actually switches all four wires at once so that the transformer can be used with balanced amps. Not all SRD-7's are like this though so I modeled the return path of my board after those with a shared -. It's easy enough to just not use the board connections.

Those things are thermistors, 4r7's to be exact. I left them out since as you can see in the pic above, I prefer a direct in/out approach. Those transformers have also had the wiring replaced right to the windings, not something I recommend doing.
eek.gif
The primary is easy enough to work with but the secondary wires are thinner then a hair...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldn't the driver from Mjölnir Audio surpass Stax in parts and sound quality?

Hehe, the new bias board works better with the newer Stax phones and when used with better transformers, should be quite a bit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back