The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #11,596 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I won't hear it for some time since it is going to the US first.

That sucks for you. About as bad as Asr having his KGBHSE in California for the first 3 months of his ownership. I told him if he doesn't want to get attached to it, don't listen to it and sell it to me because I did listen to it and became attached to it in the first 5 minutes.
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #11,599 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by pidesd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi all,

i ve got a quick "new stax owner" question: does my srd-6 accepts balanced inputs? that is the "minus" is a phase inverted signal instead of ground.

Yes, you won't fry your amp nor your headphones.

Aug 5, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #11,602 of 24,807
Has anyone notice the Stax earspeakers retaining odors other than smoke? For instance, has anyone noticed a distinct smell of perfume or shampoo on his or her earspeakers. I ask because I recently sold my SRS-2050 system on Audiogon. The buyer e-mailed me asking whether I applied shampoo to the SR-202s, stating there is a strong odor of perfumy shampoo on them. I was a little surprised by this, given it would put the drivers at great risk and would serve no useful purpose.

I never noticed any distinct or unusual odors on the SR-202s prior to their sale, otherwise, I would have mentioned this on my Audiogon listing. It would not surprise me that the earspeakers retain some shampoo odor given the pads and headband likely retain the natural oils our hair and skin produces. I am very curious whether this is an isolated experience or others have noted it too.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #11,603 of 24,807
My SR-007 smells of awesome. So much so that when I first opened the box everyone in the room turned their heads and said "awesome!".

Is that the sort of scent you're talking about?

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #11,605 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SR-007 smells of awesome. So much so that when I first opened the box everyone in the room turned their heads and said "awesome!".

Is that the sort of scent you're talking about?

I wish it were, but unfortunately, according to the buyer, it's not.

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #11,606 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone notice the Stax earspeakers retaining odors other than smoke? For instance, has anyone noticed a distinct smell of perfume or shampoo on his or her earspeakers. I ask because I recently sold my SRS-2050 system on Audiogon. The buyer e-mailed me asking whether I applied shampoo to the SR-202s, stating there is a strong odor of perfumy shampoo on them. I was a little surprised by this, given it would put the drivers at great risk and would serve no useful purpose.

I never noticed any distinct or unusual odors on the SR-202s prior to their sale, otherwise, I would have mentioned this on my Audiogon listing. It would not surprise me that the earspeakers retain some shampoo odor given the pads and headband likely retain the natural oils our hair and skin produces. I am very curious whether this is an isolated experience or others have noted it too.

Weird - my only smelly headphones were some Darth Beyer that came from Hong Kong and smelled like a damp basement, and some AKG K240M 600 ohm that used to belong to Stevie Wonder and still smell like his hair gel. I kept the K240 and sold the Darths. I can live with the sweet smell...
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #11,607 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish it were, but unfortunately, according to the buyer, it's not.

I think I have a pretty sensitive nose. My O2s arrived smelling heavily of smoke, which made me nuts. (Of course, I was able to smell the awesome deep within, as well.) Nothing I could do resolved the situation and I replaced the pads, headband, and arc.

My Signatures and Lambda Pros both had a certain...mustiness to them before I changed the pads. Even then, I wouldn't say that the entire assemblies were smell neutral. They both smelled, well, kind of old. Nothing offensive, but it was there.

I guess my point is that funk seems to hang on Staxen for better or for worse.

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #11,608 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I have a pretty sensitive nose. My O2s arrived smelling heavily of smoke, which made me nuts. (Of course, I was able to smell the awesome deep within, as well.) Nothing I could do resolved the situation and I replaced the pads, headband, and arc.

My Signatures and Lambda Pros both had a certain...mustiness to them before I changed the pads. Even then, I wouldn't say that the entire assemblies were smell neutral. They both smelled, well, kind of old. Nothing offensive, but it was there.

I guess my point is that funk seems to hang on Staxen for better or for worse.

Best not to buy Staxen from those long passed. Their spirits curl up in the flight cases.

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #11,609 of 24,807
Twice a week, I coat my SR lambda in a thick coat of Sherwood-derived musk. It is so that, long after my bones have turned to dust and the middle schools bearing my name have been obliterated, the giant roaches wearing them will have no choice but to remember me still.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #11,610 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird - my only smelly headphones were some Darth Beyer that came from Hong Kong and smelled like a damp basement, and some AKG K240M 600 ohm that used to belong to Stevie Wonder and still smell like his hair gel. I kept the K240 and sold the Darths. I can live with the sweet smell...
tongue.gif

Larry - I should have known you'd have a selection of "celebrity" headphones. I must have missed them during last month's meet.

It is a strange thing. My olfactory senses are likely impaired from years of chaning diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back