The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #11,476 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One bit of news for the Stax fans. I've almost finished drawing up a SRD-7 Pro bias supply PCB which should fit every SRD-7 unit and equip it for Pro bias. While this is for my own use I may sell off some of the excess boards if there is interest.

Tempting, it seems difficult to find a SRD-7 Pro while there are lots of non-Pro on the used market. At least when I looked around a year ago.

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #11,477 of 24,807
Quote:

The x-factor for the 4070 now are the new thick leather earpads for the SR-404LE. The thicker material should isolate better and may bring out the bass a bit. I know Stax is dealing with some supply issues now but the pads will be available for sale later on.

This bodes well with regard to my secret progressions on the AMT headphone. The pads (thanks entirely to you my firend I have facililty for comparisons that are meaningful) contribute vastly to the overal sound.

If these -LE leather pads make it as a part for order. I'd certainly be in the queue.

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #11,478 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This bodes well with regard to my secret progressions on the AMT headphone. The pads (thanks entirely to you my firend I have facililty for comparisons that are meaningful) contribute vastly to the overal sound.

If these -LE leather pads make it as a part for order. I'd certainly be in the queue.

Pad-rolling! What a great approach. (I'm already a fan of tube rolling and opamp rolling
wink_face.gif
).

Please post your suggested pads for Sigmas, Lambdas and Gammas plus any general guidance your experimentation so far has ID'd (particularly interested in whether this approach might get better bass out of the Gammas whilst retaining their mid and upper range strengths
biggrin.gif
).

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #11,479 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pad-rolling! What a great approach. (I'm already a fan of tube rolling and opamp rolling
wink_face.gif
).

Please post your suggested pads for Sigmas, Lambdas and Gammas plus any general guidance your experimentation so far has ID'd (particularly interested in whether this approach might get better bass out of the Gammas whilst retaining their mid and upper range strengths
biggrin.gif
).

Never had a Sigma (sadly). Only had an SR-202 (LOVED IT) never owned a Gamma. Never did any pad-rolling on the 202. Sorry I can't help you out.

The AMT is, putting it politely. A tricky and fussy person.

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #11,480 of 24,807
Quote:

240 is indeed 2 and 5.

Thanks big time again spritzer, you're the man!

Managed to move the jumper with a w/o having to take out the PCB. Switched on power, no boom bang, no smoke
biggrin.gif

Unit now runs noticebly cooler at 240v (only the top plate near the grilles get hot), so far 2 hours straight w/o shutting off. Let's see if it can hit about 4 hours :p

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #11,481 of 24,807
I know for many is not Kosher to tweak sound with equalizer settings, but I did in iTunes, just increased the frequencies between 32 and 500 just a notch or less and to my ears the 404 sounds just perfect. I am listening to Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutti and the soundstage is amazing. I have listened to Bach and Shirley Horne for hours today with no fatigue, enjoying minute details I did not know were there. The 404's being my first Stax ever I am just amazed at how clear everything sounds. When the upgrade symptoms return, I think I will start with the amplifier first, selling the SRD-7 MKII and the SRM-006t in exchange for........ not sure yet....mmmhhh!
One more thought: in the JH13 thread there is a lot of talk about how that particular IEM is so good there is not need to have any large headphones and many people state they are selling their large dynamic cans. I have the Westone ES3X and love it for its beautiful sound and convenience of listening to it when I am by the pool or I need mobility, but I would never dream of getting rid of my Stax for a dynamic phone or an IEM.

Jul 15, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #11,482 of 24,807
Quote:

One bit of news for the Stax fans. I've almost finished drawing up a SRD-7 Pro bias supply PCB which should fit every SRD-7 unit and equip it for Pro bias. While this is for my own use I may sell off some of the excess boards if there is interest.

Birgir, Put me down for one. I was doing the same thing but never finished.

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #11,483 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyricalmoments /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks big time again spritzer, you're the man!

Managed to move the jumper with a w/o having to take out the PCB. Switched on power, no boom bang, no smoke
biggrin.gif

Unit now runs noticebly cooler at 240v (only the top plate near the grilles get hot), so far 2 hours straight w/o shutting off. Let's see if it can hit about 4 hours :p

Glad to know that it works.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sure thing, just have to make sure the damn thing works first.
wink.gif
Once I'm happy with the design then I'll order up a dozen or so boards and test them.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #11,484 of 24,807
If it is not too much trouble I would like to be included also and I will of course contribute financially

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #11,485 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good Job! I'd always be up for one of those PCB when you decide if you have extras to sell. Cheers!

Spritzer, in case you missed this yesterday.
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #11,487 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer, I have an SRD7SB I would be interested in buying a PCB for.

I was under the impression that this mod did not apply to the sb version. if it does, I am also interested.
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #11,488 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was under the impression that this mod did not apply to the sb version. if it does, I am also interested.
confused_face_2.gif

Agreed. I also thought it was only for Mains powered Energisers. If you're making PCBs to upgrade the SB version too then I would also be interested in that experiment.

Also, could these PCBs be adapted to, say, create a Pro version of a mains powered energiser with even higher bias - eg 600 volt on one ESP outlet and 620 volt on the other?

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #11,490 of 24,807
Anyone knows the rating of the slow blow fuse for the stax 717? It's the one located near the transformer. Brought the fuse out to bring it to the hardware store, but looks like I've dropped it in my friend's office... Duh

there are also 2 more fuses near the capacitors, F1 and F2, would appreciate if anyone knows the rating . Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back