Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #11,506 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by bralk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that Norway is not a member of the EU which makes it a hassle
with taxes and VAT.

cheers

Tom

yes, but even with taxes+VAT+shipping the price is still better than those of the EU distributors. Make some calculations.
smily_headphones1.gif

Last year my friend has bought headphones+amp from Norway.

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #11,507 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of ordering some new pads for my sr-lambda normal bias cans. I was browsing at audiocubes2, which version is a match for mine? I'm actually more curious then anything to see what the cans sound like with fresh foam on the inside. mine is disintegrating obviously.

The American importer charges $40 + shipping for Lambda pads. Any of the Lambda-type eapads should work on the Lambda. If you want to keep the look and feel of the original Lambda try the SR-202 Basic earpads. If you wanted to set your pair apart from others you could try a different color.

From the SR-404 LIMITED manual, (please note that SR-Lambda in this text must refer to the current STAX line-up and not the old 6-pin SR-Lambda) :

The SR-Lambda earspeaker is equipped with a 2.5-meter cable. At some time, you may wish to enjoy earspeaker listening from a greater distance than the cable allows. Therefore, we make two kinds of extension cords.
- SRE-750 (5m special PC-OCC)
- SRE-725 (2.5m special PC-OCC)
(For 5-pin plug only)

Also available are replacement Earpads for the SR-Lambda series earspeakers.
1. For Signature series: Brown (EP-234BR)
2. For Classic series: Gray (EP-234GR)
3. For Basic series: Black (EP-234BL)
4. For LIMITED: Black (EP-234LIMITED)

The HPS-2 stand holds any of our Earspeaker models in good condition. It is high enough to avoid bending the cable, which might cause damage, and it keeps the headband flat.

The CPC-1 protects earspeaker from outside dust.

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #11,508 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The American importer charges $40 + shipping for Lambda pads. Any of the Lambda-type eapads should work on the Lambda. If you want to keep the look and feel of the original Lambda try the SR-202 Basic earpads. If you wanted to set your pair apart from others you could try a different color.

From the SR-404 LIMITED manual, (please note that SR-Lambda in this text must refer to the current STAX line-up and not the old 6-pin SR-Lambda) :

The SR-Lambda earspeaker is equipped with a 2.5-meter cable. At some time, you may wish to enjoy earspeaker listening from a greater distance than the cable allows. Therefore, we make two kinds of extension cords.
- SRE-750 (5m special PC-OCC)
- SRE-725 (2.5m special PC-OCC)
(For 5-pin plug only)

Also available are replacement Earpads for the SR-Lambda series earspeakers.
1. For Signature series: Brown (EP-234BR)
2. For Classic series: Gray (EP-234GR)
3. For Basic series: Black (EP-234BL)
4. For LIMITED: Black (EP-234LIMITED)

The HPS-2 stand holds any of our Earspeaker models in good condition. It is high enough to avoid bending the cable, which might cause damage, and it keeps the headband flat.

The CPC-1 protects earspeaker from outside dust.

Any more comments about the 404 Ltd?

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #11,510 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love child of HE60 and SR-Lambda. More emotional than HE60. More technical than SR-Lambda.

Damn you...

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #11,512 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn you...

Yeah seriously man, what the hell? I have a very small family to feed, I can't be havin' this!

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #11,513 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna fight against it with real weaponry now. .) The K1000 versus SR202... there's no way the Stax could win, is there?
redface.gif

Exactly a month ago I said the above ..... and .... today I tried the trusty Stax setup. I was absolutely, completely overwhelmed by the amount and quality of bass I was hearing. The attack of it, the snappiness and even the amount was satisfying. The K1000s sounded nice and bassy at first, but oddly the 202s take the cake easily. Sure, there's certain numbness in Stax' bass. Some might even go brave and say it's one-note type of bass but I just feel it lacks simple texture. Notes are okay with it. It's just that orchestrated bass drums and stuff sounds kicky with staxes.

Well, I'm listening to my K1000s now, so the bass alone won't pull me back to the game. Maybe later... I was considering selling the 2020 setup for amplification money for K1000 but now I changed my mind.

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #11,514 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly a month ago I said the above ..... and .... today I tried the trusty Stax setup. I was absolutely, completely overwhelmed by the amount and quality of bass I was hearing. The attack of it, the snappiness and even the amount was satisfying. The K1000s sounded nice and bassy at first, but oddly the 202s take the cake easily. Sure, there's certain numbness in Stax' bass. Some might even go brave and say it's one-note type of bass but I just feel it lacks simple texture. Notes are okay with it. It's just that orchestrated bass drums and stuff sounds kicky with staxes.

Well, I'm listening to my K1000s now, so the bass alone won't pull me back to the game. Maybe later... I was considering selling the 2020 setup for amplification money for K1000 but now I changed my mind.

I did find amplification makes a huge difference with my K1000 - If my ZDT didn't fix the sound I was planning to sell them, fortunately it did help them. Initially I traded a pair of O2 Mk1 for the K1000, after comparing Naamanf's K1000 on B22 to his O2 Mk1 on his KGBH. Mine arrived and sounded nothing as good as that, and I bought Naamanf's O2 Mk1 since I missed mine. Now my K1000 are on a high pedestal again with the ZDT amp.

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #11,515 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did find amplification makes a huge difference with my K1000 - If my ZDT didn't fix the sound I was planning to sell them, fortunately it did help them. Initially I traded a pair of O2 Mk1 for the K1000, after comparing Naamanf's K1000 on B22 to his O2 Mk1 on his KGBH. Mine arrived and sounded nothing as good as that, and I bought Naamanf's O2 Mk1 since I missed mine. Now my K1000 are on a high pedestal again with the ZDT amp.

I listened to about 3-4 K1000 set-ups at Canjam and the best I heard was MIKEYMAD's, but I don't remember the amplification except that it looked exotic. I like the basic concept of a driver that can be swivelled and have wonderd why one cannot make a stat equivalent. (I think I know now, the K1000 has to have a considerable bass boost to work, probably a resonance peak which you can build into a dynamic driver but not a stat)

I suspect part of the appeal to many listeners is the same as with the Stax Sigma, the forward projection of sound because the drivers are ahead of the ears when their drivers are set at 90 degrees to the ear.

I think

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #11,516 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to about 3-4 K1000 set-ups at Canjam and the best I heard was MIKEYMAD's, but I don't remember the amplification except that it looked exotic. I like the basic concept of a driver that can be swivelled and have wonderd why one cannot make a stat equivalent. (I think I know now, the K1000 has to have a considerable bass boost to work, probably a resonance peak which you can build into a dynamic driver but not a stat)

I suspect part of the appeal to many listeners is the same as with the Stax Sigma, the forward projection of sound because the drivers are ahead of the ears when their drivers are set at 90 degrees to the ear.

I think

Yes, soundstage is similar because the K1000 and Sigma also both offer a bit of extra crosstalk between the ears as well. But I found the K1000 to be much more detailed than the Sigma Pro, and not rolled off at all like the Sigma Pro that I borrowed from Plaidplatypus. And the Sigma Pro were also quite picky about amplification, sounding a little better with my Nuforce Icon 12-watt amp/SRD-7 pro combo than with the GES. The O2 Mk1 and Mk2 sound much better off the GES than the Sigma Pro did, and I even prefered my SR-Lambda to the Sigma Pro. I will get to hear a Sigma/404 this weekend, so I am looking forward to that one.

Jul 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #11,517 of 24,807
Ooh, Sigma/404 at the meet? Excellent.

I share Larry's feelings on the Sigma, and I heard it through his gear. It sounded very dull to me. Part of the virtue on the K1000 is that, since the drivers are near free-floating, there are far fewer reflective surfaces than the Sigma.

Jul 23, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #11,518 of 24,807
The thing I like about the Sigma that being less detailed can be an advantage as well, for a lot of music that are not recorded very well. Also, it is almost never fatiguing unlike the Lambda Sig I just got which can bite
smily_headphones1.gif
I wouldn't describe them as boring.

I also got an SRD-7 MK2 adapter, although I have no speaker amp to try it with. Maybe with my friend's Jadis Orchestra tube amp
wink_face.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #11,519 of 24,807
with regards to the above posts on K1000, Stax and Sigma what I have to say is that the amp is of paramount importance.

In the last few days I had to revise life long beliefs on the importance of the amp in a system.

I used to think that it is impossible to make "canned" (recorded) music even in SACD format sound like live music in any system and I was sorry for the people that would spent more than 4k$ on an amp. I was also wondering why serious Headfiers like Kevin and Birgir would go into such pains to design amps that would realize the full potential of the O2. The reason why I had this wrong belief was that in the tavern next to my tiny water front house a live band (2 male and one female voice a guitar a bouzouki and a synthesizer) all amplified through a 300$ consumer system (4 Warfdale bookshelf speakers driven of a 30 year old Kempwood receiver) would produce dynamics and harmonics that would make me shiver and then trigger a depression attack when I would go home and try to listen to my phones including the 717/O2 combo. The musicians were amateurs with fair talents at best yet they would make the 717/O2 combo and all my other phones pale in comparison (at best, or really sound dry lifeless and totally not involving) and make me want to sell all my gear immediately.

Last week Yanni gave me as a gift an amp he had made off of left over spare parts. I was immediately shocked. I had him make connectors/adapters and drove all my phones directly off of the speaker terminals of this amp and changed my mind about all my phones.

The amp was a tube 3 watt SE. I then asked him to let me try some of his other designs including a 15 Watt SE and an espesially made 80 Watt Push Pull that sounds like an SE but comes with the power of a Push Pull.

The 15 Watt SE took all of my phones into one additional level higher than the 3 Watt and the 80 Watt took the K1000 one additional step higher while it did improve the performance of the rest of my phones but not to the same degree.

I now understand Kevin and Birgir, and Larry reporting on headphone's performances through exotic amps and I don't feel sorry for fellow Headfiers with 4k$ and up amps and I also know why people thing that some K1000's do not sound as good especially on bass.

However music is mostly midrange and it takes good amps to bring out the dynamics and harmonics of midrange.

I will reserve judgment on Staxen and the O2 until the time I listen to them through amps like the ones Kevin and Birgir are designing and building.

Sherwood what are you driving your beloved K1000's with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back