The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #11,536 of 24,807
The Sigma Pro is a bit bland IMO and the Sigma/404 is a clear step up. The normal bias model out of a Blue Hawaii is hard to beat though.
redface.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #11,537 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sigma/404 I heard at the meet this weekend were noticeably better than the Sigma Pro - there was better detail and dynamics, and I would be more willing to own a Sigma/404 than a Sigma Pro which I have no interest in.

They definitely have more treble and a tad more bass. Someone comparing my Sigma pro vs Sigma/404 at Canjam noted that the S/404 was more refined. I hear it as more detailed and accurate tonally.

The Sigmas are helped by more volatge swing than many recent Stax amps have. The SRM1Mk2 which has I believe 370 volts is better than the 300 volt amps with my Sigma Pro. As for low bias Sigmas , the old SRA 12S has more voltage swing than my high bias SRM3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sigma Pro is a bit bland IMO and the Sigma/404 is a clear step up. The normal bias model out of a Blue Hawaii is hard to beat though.
redface.gif

As everyone's school math teachers says " you can't compare apples and oranges." A better amp will make a poorer set of phones sound better.

When I listened to the Sigma/404 vs 007 (Mk 1 or 2) on the BHSE, I felt that the S/404 sounded a lot closer to the 007 than with my 717. The 007s still had some, although less, advantage in detail and bass. The S/404 had its unique spatial perspective/soundstage.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #11,538 of 24,807
In my experience, the amp can contribute huge sound changes and have always advocated that as high a quality an amp should be used. I have been going around, listening to diferent amps, with my O2mk1 and my SRD7mk2 for listen experience an has been quite enlightening but careful not to make judgments on quick listens. Apart from the subjective sound type and presentation, it is able, amongst other things like speed and so on, to give the control to the music in its own way. However, I also find that matching can also be tricky, as different headphones/speaker phones require different amps (ie. design type) to make it sound as best as it can. .

By the way, I managed to solve the stupid, back breaking hum problem
smily_headphones1.gif
. It turned out that the power supply from my border patrol was picking up the unwanted frequencies from my CD player. I will test my system with the illusion ecs 1001 when it arrives against the SRD7mk2.

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #11,540 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Victor, may I ask where you got the illusion ecs 1001 and for how much? Thanks!

Ed. Is the Sigma/404 a hybrid you made of 2 phones?

I got it from Japan. Taken me more than a year to track one down.

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #11,541 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Victor, may I ask where you got the illusion ecs 1001 and for how much? Thanks!

Ed. Is the Sigma/404 a hybrid you made of 2 phones?

I had a low bias Sigma, which needed repairs. I sent it to Yamasinc., who put in a 404 cable and drivers. They charged about $500.00. I got my good parts back though.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #11,543 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As everyone's school math teachers says " you can't compare apples and oranges." A better amp will make a poorer set of phones sound better.

All 3 were powered by the same BH (though not at the same time). The Sigma Pro is still bland to my ears which just goes to show that not all drivers work in that chassis, no matter how good they are.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #11,544 of 24,807
okay.

Stax newbie here.
I have a pair of lambda Pros which I thought were woefully inadequate in the low frequencies and the mids. It sounded super accentuated in the highs and with a lot of sibilance.

I noticed that the headphone was damped with glass wool, so I removed it as it was kind of disintegrating anyway and replaced it with a layer of craft felt from my ortho modding supplies.

Predictably there was a marked improvement in the bass with the now lighter damped configuration. Mids were more forward and lush as well.
It even has some of the impact in the bottom end that the orthos have.

All I did was lay a sheet of felt on the back of the cups, next step is to remove that layer of felt and put the felt right up against the driver and play around with different levels of damping until the headphone gets sold.

But I can honestly say the improvement was quite big, noticeably in the bottom end.

Anyone else tried any such damping mods on their staxes?

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #11,547 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okay.

Stax newbie here.
I have a pair of lambda Pros which I thought were woefully inadequate in the low frequencies and the mids. It sounded super accentuated in the highs and with a lot of sibilance.

I noticed that the headphone was damped with glass wool, so I removed it as it was kind of disintegrating anyway and replaced it with a layer of craft felt from my ortho modding supplies.

Predictably there was a marked improvement in the bass with the now lighter damped configuration. Mids were more forward and lush as well.
It even has some of the impact in the bottom end that the orthos have.

All I did was lay a sheet of felt on the back of the cups, next step is to remove that layer of felt and put the felt right up against the driver and play around with different levels of damping until the headphone gets sold.

But I can honestly say the improvement was quite big, noticeably in the bottom end.

Anyone else tried any such damping mods on their staxes?

Spritzer has reporetd on various types of damping .

The Lambda Pro is the second Lambda of about a dozen that Stax has made, and is still making. My impression is that Stax stopped using most damping. Possibly you should try none.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #11,548 of 24,807
I tried a number of different damping methods to tame the horrendous midrange peak in the SR-303/404 but I've never messed with the L-Pro's. With the new phones I settled on two layers of fiber paper on the ear side with a single layer of blue craft felt on the back which I just placed inside the cup to allow the drivers to breath a bit.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #11,549 of 24,807
With the SR-404 Limited Ed Anniversary headphones that plaidplatypus brought to last weekend's meet, I didn't hear much of a midrange peak or etch at all. They were very enjoyable sounding, and more comfortable due to the leather ear pads. I would like to get a pair.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #11,550 of 24,807
I guess I am one of them who does not seem to mind the midrange bump some people complaint about. My feeling is that if the 404's continue to sell they must be popular and enjoyable by a silent majority. I certainly like them a lot. The emphasis here seems to be a well deserved appreciation for the Omegas and some of the vintage gear, plus a dislike for the newer Staxes, as well as a lack of appreciation for the more affordable earspeakers. That is a shame IMO because it may turn people away from electrostatics, thinking that you need a several thousand dollar set up or very old equipment. In fact, even the "cheaper Staxes" are IMO much better than anything else I have heard including the 701's and 650's amongst others. I really liked the sound of the SR-007 more than the HD-800's. I am quite happy with my set up, although I am sure eventually I will buy the SR-007's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back