The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #11,447 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan_McCloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone tell me the best Europe shop for STAX items? I am in italy and for a SR-4040 signature System II they ask me 2200 € (LOL ???). I better buy them online to save money. I know that best price are from Japan and USA (due to the $\€ ratio) but customs duty will be too much. Any advice ?

I have bought from this supplier:

STAX 4040 system

Their price would be around 1400 €

cheers

Tom

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #11,448 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tell that to those who claim otherwise.

Not really necessary, just start your source and amp, plug the Stax into the SRD7 and put them around your ears, then switch the SRD7 on. You'll notice that right away the music sounds without any strange noises, delays, or charge-up times. It's that easy checking it.

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #11,450 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That "time for charging" thing is pure nonsense. The cans start sounding as soon as the unit is switched on and there's some music playing. Electricity travels at almost light speed and the mylar membrane gets "charged" as soon as the bias current gets to it, so when the music signal gets to the stators, the membrane starts moving.
On adapters you not even need the time to warm up components as in energizers. It makes more sense leaving your amp on to shorten its warm up time, than leaving the adapter on.

Your avatar makes me want to believe you.

I guess there must be another reason why my 'stats sound differen't every time I listen to them...

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #11,451 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your avatar makes me want to believe you.

I guess there must be another reason why my 'stats sound differen't every time I listen to them...

Hahahaha don't let my avatar fool you ;D
I hope your stats sound different just because you play different discs
wink.gif
Now seriously, there are many reasons making a system not sounding the same when just switched on than after a few minutes of warming up. Many electronic components won't reach their optimum operation range until they get a certain temperature, and that may influence their sound. Also electricity variations on the grid (voltage delivered, noise pollution, DC offset) can make differences that good stats would expose. However I'm quite sure the "charging" thing in the stats drivers isn't one of them.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #11,454 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he just did.

no i said i turn mine on a little while before listening at the same time i turn on my amp in fact.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #11,457 of 24,807
2 weeks ago RichterDi did ask me if I'd want to borrow his SR-4070 for a few weeks in order to get first hand experience while he enjoys his yearly summer vacation with his family overseas.
Well, I thought by myself: Why not? It's free and doesn't hurt, but, frankly, I didn't expect much since the SR-4070 seemed to be some kind of closed SR-404s and I'm not exactly fond of modern Lambda varieties.
I do have it for 10 days now (in direct comparison to my Omega II Mk1 and some random Lambdas (SR-303 and age old Lambda Professional).
What I got is somewhat unexpected.
The SR-4070 are in a different league than any Lambda I've ever owned.
They do complement the Omegas quite well.
Different strengths and weaknesses.

Unfortunately the SR-4070s are quite uncomfortable.They are heavy as stone (in fact the heaviest headphones I've ever worn) and the heat build-up within a short period of time is substantial and unbearable, at least in the summertime.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #11,458 of 24,807
You've just make me buy this headphone. I'only have to wait like 5or6 months to save the money but tit will be mine :p

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #11,459 of 24,807
Just received my 16ft (SRE-750) Extension Cable. Very convenient for me since I now can listen to my 404's with or without external speakers/subwoofer to add extra bass I want to.

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #11,460 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 weeks ago RichterDi did ask me if I'd want to borrow his SR-4070 for a few weeks in order to get first hand experience while he enjoys his yearly summer vacation with his family overseas.
Well, I thought by myself: Why not? It's free and doesn't hurt, but, frankly, I didn't expect much since the SR-4070 seemed to be some kind of closed SR-404s and I'm not exactly fond of modern Lambda varieties.
I do have it for 10 days now (in direct comparison to my Omega II Mk1 and some random Lambdas (SR-303 and age old Lambda Professional).
What I got is somewhat unexpected.
The SR-4070 are in a different league than any Lambda I've ever owned.
They do complement the Omegas quite well.
Different strengths and weaknesses.

Unfortunately the SR-4070s are quite uncomfortable.They are heavy as stone (in fact the heaviest headphones I've ever worn) and the heat build-up within a short period of time is substantial and unbearable, at least in the summertime.
On top of that they do cost ~$3000 where I live so it's unlikely I will ever own them, but I would like to.

Cosmopragma, I do appreciate the 4070's sound signature, too. They have excellent extension at both ends of the spectrum, they are beautifully balanced and almost completely lack the Lambda's upper mids/lower highs peak. Mids are somewhat more forward than with the Omega 2s (I and II), but that is exactly what makes me prefer them for listening to female jazz singers. While it's amazing how open and free a closed (electrostatic) phone can sound, I perceive their soundstaging and imaging to be one of their relative weaknesses. They seem to be lacking somewhat regarding the third dimension, that is depth. The fit issues can be improved significantly by bending the arcs. However, there's definitely no cure for the weight. And as not only their acoustic but also their thermal isolation is great, I prefer listening to them in other seasons than summer.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back