Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #11,341 of 24,807
I may let my 717 go, but only when I can find a KGSS
tongue.gif

BTW, welcome back to the 007, Victor!
L3000.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #11,342 of 24,807
Well I've got my Lambda Pro's up in the FS forum and I'm planning to buy the HF2. In all honesty, I could be completely happy with just my AD700's for a while. I will keep the SRD-7/Mk2 though as I recognize the usefulness of having it.

Every time I mention it I get bombarded by offers to buy it >_<

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #11,346 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry. it was intended as a joke. poor sense of humor in my part. I apologize.

My post wasn't really supposed to be in a negative tone if that's what you're referring to. I don't mind getting offers. It reminds me of how valuable the SRD-7/MK2 is
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #11,347 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My post wasn't really supposed to be in a negative tone if that's what you're referring to. I don't mind getting offers. It reminds me of how valuable the SRD-7/MK2 is
biggrin.gif

It is not the appropriate thread to buy or sell, but you are right, there is interest in those 'old boxes'. I am surprised however, nobody has manufactured something similar, and even more surprised not a lot of aftermarket electrostatic amplifiers are available. Granted, is a niche market, but still..... there are some people out there who would buy them. At least Woo Audio has them....

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #11,348 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is not the appropriate thread to buy or sell, but you are right, there is interest in those 'old boxes'. I am surprised however, nobody has manufactured something similar, and even more surprised not a lot of aftermarket electrostatic amplifiers are available. Granted, is a niche market, but still..... there are some people out there who would buy them. At least Woo Audio has them....

There was the Illusion aftermarket transformer for a while, but it's no longer made.

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #11,349 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree with this. Also something I don't see discussed much and that is that in my experience most Stax/Koss electrostatic phones need a day or 2 od use to show their full capability.

Eg. I run a Stax SRM1Mk2 amp at my office with either the Lambda Signature or Sigma Pro. After a week or so of listening to the Signature the Sigma seemed to lack some capability from what I remembered the last time I listened even though they had been warmed up a bit. However I left them plugged in, but not on, over night and the next day warmed them up for about an hour before listening and they showed a notable gain, especially in the bass. Listening to a local jazz group I had felt that the double bass was missing on day one but much more pronounced on day 2.

This is not an amp issue since the amp is used every day. I think there rae charge-up issue with stats, that they can develope residual charges when left around. I once worked with a technician who actually measured this type of "electret effect" as he called it on a slightly different type of electrostatic transducer. He was making them by hand and puzzled at the variability in measured performance.

As far as I can tell though the problem is solved by regular use and, I personally think, by leaving the phones pluged in when not in use. Alternatively I think you need to dsicharge them say by touching the pins when you take the phones out of the amp.

I leave my Stax plugged in when not in use. If anything, it's just easier that way. Definitely agree that if you let the amp warm up with the Stax plugged in, it makes a huge difference. I forgot to turn my GES off earlier today, but was glad I didn't when I decided to listen to them later tonight. Having been left on for several hours, I was amazed at how good they sounded, particularly listening to New Order, not known to be an audiophile recording. Still, the imaging was incredible and I heard details on the CD I never noticed before.

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #11,350 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I leave my Stax plugged in when not in use. If anything, it's just easier that way. Definitely agree that if you let the amp warm up with the Stax plugged in, it makes a huge difference. I forgot to turn my GES off earlier today, but was glad I didn't when I decided to listen to them later tonight. Having been left on for several hours, I was amazed at how good they sounded, particularly listening to New Order, not known to be an audiophile recording. Still, the imaging was incredible and I heard details on the CD I never noticed before.

Johnnie - are you coming to the Colorado head-fi meet on 7/25 in Denver?

See my signature line at the bottom of my post for the link to the thread about it, and post there if you can come and what gear you want to bring.

On topic, I have a GES too and the sound responds very well to an upgraded matched quad of 12AX7 tubes. You should look for some Telefunken smooth plates, or early 60's GE, or even some cryo treated new re-issue Mullards (all between $100-150 for a quad). I am currently using some early 60's GE "Wurlitzer" 12AX7. Those are all much better than the stock EH 12AX7 or NOS 12BZ7 that Woo carries.

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #11,351 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Johnnie - are you coming to the Colorado head-fi meet on 7/25 in Denver?

See my signature line at the bottom of my post for the link to the thread about it, and post there if you can come and what gear you want to bring.

On topic, I have a GES too and the sound responds very well to an upgraded matched quad of 12AX7 tubes. You should look for some Telefunken smooth plates, or early 60's GE, or even some cryo treated new re-issue Mullards (all between $100-150 for a quad). I am currently using some early 60's GE "Wurlitzer" 12AX7. Those are all much better than the stock EH 12AX7 or NOS 12BZ7 that Woo carries.

I am sure this works but discussion of tube rolling makes me glad I have only transistor amps. I would spend way too much time and money changing tubes.

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #11,352 of 24,807
the classic YMMV number. In earlier years when all my equipment was solid state, I was sure I was missing something by lacking tubes. For some time I have userd mostly tube and hybrid stuff, and recently have heard some wonderful solid state electronics.

The thing that makes a piece of equipment good for me is that I dont want to be listening to the music on something else, which is another way of saying Im listening to the music and not the equipment. (This is never 100% but when I do hear the equipment somethings wrong and it interferes. And sometimes you hear the equipment in a good way as when an upgrade revises a listening experience.)

I dont spend more money on Tube equipment than solid state (I buy most things second hand) and rolling a tube can be a real upgrade, the kind of expense that saves you a more expensive upgrade. Recently using a couple of Mullard EL-34s on a hybrid power amp banished all thoughts of replacing it... I am oh,so happy. Someday when the tubes burn out on my 007t, I will be seeking out pricey japanese glass in search of yet, another thrill (tho I am very happy with this amp and its stock tubes).

Hey... another thing to play with!

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #11,353 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may let my 717 go, but only when I can find a KGSS
tongue.gif

BTW, welcome back to the 007, Victor!
L3000.gif

I did a big comparison (search this forum) between the 717, 007t and KGSS. I ended up selling the KGSS and keeping the 717 and 007t. I like the 717 for the O2 and O2mk2 and the 007t with all my other Stax phones.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #11,354 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a big comparison (search this forum) between the 717, 007t and KGSS. I ended up selling the KGSS and keeping the 717 and 007t. I like the 717 for the O2 and O2mk2 and the 007t with all my other Stax phones.

Now I don't know whether to smile or cry.

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #11,355 of 24,807
Just wondering...

Are there any sound differences between the SRD-7/Mk2 and the SRD-7/SB? Because there is a SRD-7/SB and Lambda Normal on the FS forum for a good price... I could sell the SRD-7/Mk2 and the Lambda Pro's, buy the SRD-7/SB combo and still have enough for some HF2's :O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back