The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #11,266 of 24,807
I like the musicality produced by the electrostatics. Although, I find that my O2mk1 with my 717 did have acretain "peakiness" at the top, it was not difficult to forgive it once I started taping with the rythm. The tonal richness of the music always makes me forget the other musical flaws. Ha! But, this is all the past and will wait pateiently for a nice driver to come along.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #11,267 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Chew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the musicality produced by the electrostatics. Although, I find that my O2mk1 with my 717 did have acretain "peakiness" at the top, it was not difficult to forgive it once I started taping with the rythm. The tonal richness of the music always makes me forget the other musical flaws. Ha! But, this is all the past and will wait pateiently for a nice driver to come along.

Just curious what you were using for a source? I haven't experienced this peakiness with my 717/O2mk1 and VK-D5.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #11,268 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Craig said he'd be shipping our Zana Deux "T" amps by the end of the month. Have you heard anything from him yet? I look forward to trying it out with my SRD-7 Mk2 and Stax.

Nope...haven't emailed him in some time actually. I like to be surprised....have my delayed gratification down
tongue.gif
But it is good to know that time frame...I am #3.

Totally surprised when the HD800 arrived last week...I only ordered from Todd at the start of CanJam. Been listening to them on the EC HD300...which I have been preamping the 717 with. Wonderful me thinks and I am using a bright-ish Tung Sol Jan-CTL 6SN7 brown base tube on the 300...which to my ears added some forwardness to the 007 when used pre ing the 717. The OTL amp is powering the 800 just fine, there is a touch of treble energy (100 hrs ), but it was what I was looking for ...and it is going to be very difficult to tell which of these two "earspeakers" will be my fav.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #11,269 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by veloaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious what you were using for a source? I haven't experienced this peakiness with my 717/O2mk1 and VK-D5.

Bluenote Koala Tube with BB627 op amps. It came originally with AD2228 op amps. I find that the BB627 gave the music more body and removed quite a bit of the "peakiness", but it was still there. I also use the Koala Tube for my beta 22 and the "peakiness" is not present. Maybe its just equipment matching.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #11,270 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More than your HD800?
smile.gif

That's the sixty-four-thousand-dollar question to be answered by my new amp arriving in a few days. So far I've been picking up the HD-800s the most, despite them having less detail overall, as well as the inferior amping, because the purely addictive soundstage.

Jun 24, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #11,271 of 24,807
My Lambda Pro's sound different every time I use them.

Sometimes they sound thin, lacking bass and punch, and other times they're bassy and punchy and really great.

This could be a deal breaker.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #11,272 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sometimes they sound thin, lacking bass and punch, and other times they're bassy and punchy and really great.

You could be having warm-up issues.

Using an amp, I leave the system on for 1/2 -1 hr, to get the amp warm and the phones charged up. I aso leave the phones plugged into the amp virtually all the time, even when it is turned off.

I am not sure what would apply with a transformer, but I would leave the phones in, switch the transformer on an hour beforehand if it is mains powered, and run the phones loud for a few minutes before listening, to get them properly charged up.

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #11,273 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds certainly interesting! It might be the sealing?

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #11,274 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds certainly interesting! It might be the sealing?

"New pads needed?" was my thought too.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #11,276 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Birgir, are all the 717's prone to fault?

Antony, sometime ago when Ed (If I remember correctly) had the same problem due to dust on his 717, I did post on the hyper sensitive circuitry that shuts off the 717.

Either a short in the input due to slightly improperly connected line-in interconnect connectors on the RCA terminals or a book covering one third of the top vents for 5 to 15 minutes results in no output while the power-on indicator stays on. In either case cycling power resolves the problem. I had that with my own 717 and was able to duplicate it in both cases.

I used to drive the 717 out of my Sony DAP through a mini to RCA adapter and every time I would wiggle the adapter the 717 would sense a short and shut off the output.

I hope Duggeh will read this, try it out and confirm it and respond with his Laconic...

Indeed !!!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #11,279 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"New pads needed?" was my thought too.

The pads were brand new when I got it, still in the box so it's not them.

I think it could be warmup. They seem to sound better after turning them up louder for a bit, to charge it up.

Is there any risk of damaging them by doing that? How high volume levels can they take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back