The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #11,131 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Crash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received an Omega 2 Mk I in the mail today, which I will compare against an O2 Mk II that came last week. The Mk II is almost new, while the Mk I has been used quite a bit. The headband for the Mk II is quite tight, while the headband for the Mk I is very loose - so loose it's distracting.

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement headband for the O2 Mk I? I tried checking Audiocubes2, and saw several replacement Stax headbands, but none for the O2. Similarly, Yama's Inc. had no O2 headbands listed. Would another model headphone have the same headband?

I echo the recommendations to contact kuboten for a new headband and new pads. I got new pads and headband through kuboten for my O2 mk1 and they made a big difference. You also might want to look into getting a replacment arc assembly, but that can be significantly harder to come by--though not impossible.

EDIT: and Yama's has been useless in my experience.

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #11,132 of 24,807
Hi all

What is everybody's opinion of the SR202 Basic system. I got it to replace my SR-X MKIII and am not sure I made the right decision. I find it dare I say boring? Was I spoiled by the SRX MKIII? I have them (SRX MKIII) up for sale but am not sure I want to let them go now. I find myself not enjoying the music as much.
Can anyone comment as to why this would be? Is the amp that comes with this system not good enough? Will a better amp make these headphones better?
I know lots of questions but I am a little lost right now.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #11,133 of 24,807
Auditioned Stax SR303 today... They sounded great but more over I was impressed by its comfort!! Man, these are the most comfortable headphones I've ever used!!! Even better than beyers to be honest. But I think they lack alot on build quality... so many flimsy plastics
frown.gif

do 404 limited have better build?

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #11,134 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Auditioned Stax SR303 today... They sounded great but more over I was impressed by its comfort!! Man, these are the most comfortable headphones I've ever used!!! Even better than beyers to be honest. But I think they lack alot on build quality... so many flimsy plastics
frown.gif

Not that I know of they're practically the same thing but with a different cable.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #11,135 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone comment as to why this would be? Is the amp that comes with this system not good enough? Will a better amp make these headphones better?
I know lots of questions but I am a little lost right now.

You might prefer a more in-your-face kind of presentation. A better amp will surely make the SR-202 better but it will not change the way of presentation, but a better amp also makes the SR-X Mk3 better! You just need one with a Normal bias connector (I used it with T1S, sounded great). Also the SR-X reacts to a better source very well.

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #11,136 of 24,807
Lambda's are rather freakishly light and delicate the the first time you encounter them. A good reminder to take care of your gear though.

Jun 11, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #11,138 of 24,807
I am kind of suprised that Yama Stax did not have a booth or room at this years CanJam 2009. In looking at the map of the Los Angeles area- Gardenia Ca does not look to far from the Hilton LAX. Anyone have any information on this? Although, now it is too late. Scottsmrnyc

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #11,139 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lambda's are rather freakishly light and delicate the the first time you encounter them. A good reminder to take care of your gear though.

They sure seem flimsy, and then you realize they're over 20 years old in many cases, which is why the build quality of the SR303 doesn't bother me. They're deceptively robust.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But they last amazingly long.

Yup. And they can be repaired and parts replaced pretty easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am kind of suprised that Yama Stax did not have a booth or room at this years CanJam 2009. In looking at the map of the Los Angeles area- Gardenia Ca does not look to far from the Hilton LAX. Anyone have any information on this? Although, now it is too late. Scottsmrnyc

In my time here at HF, I do not recall Stax giving us the time of day.

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #11,140 of 24,807
I'm looking at the glass half full in that Stax do not have a huge demand on head-fi to drive up prices, which they likely would if it became more popularly consumerized as things tend to do here. Its amazing when thirty year old headphones seems to best a large majority of modern headphones under four figures in speed and detail. You would have to pay a lot more to beat the quality of the Lambda's in most areas with other headphones IMO.

BTW, the Smyth realizer seems to be able to equalize out the etch of the lambdas. I really would lavish the day a plugin for something like foobar came out that could do that with use of a cheaper tool for stereo.

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #11,141 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Stax do not have a huge demand on head-fi to drive up prices, which they likely would if it became more popularly consumerized as things tend to do here.

That happened more than 2 years ago I'm afraid.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #11,143 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That happened more than 2 years ago I'm afraid.

I can tell there has been a lot of commotion. When I first joined in 2007, I definitely had the feeling the Stax mafia were looking down on dynamics and they were rabid for them and that seems to have died down a little, but may be picking up again. Luckily, it seems Japan doesn't care too much for the vintage versions. Lambda pros pop up all the time, lambda sigs are still to be found fairly commonly, but the original Lambda really doesn't pop up more then once a month almost ever it seems (at least since February).

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #11,144 of 24,807
I am new to STAX, but after listening to a few rigs at CanJam I recently purchased a pair of SR303s and I'm looking for an amplifier solution. I recently built a B22 (I've been getting spoiled) and I'm finishing it with speaker outputs so I was considering buying a used SRD-7/PRO or MKII and running it off of the speaker outs from the B22. My other option would be to buy a dedicated STAX amp such as a SRM 323.
Can anybody share their opinions on which would be a better sounding setup?
Also I understand that the SR303s are pro bias but are compatible with normal bias outputs. Would running them through a normal biased amp/energizer make a big difference compared to pro bias?
Thanks for any advice.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #11,145 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by alwayshungry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am new to STAX, but after listening to a few rigs at CanJam I recently purchased a pair of SR303s and I'm looking for an amplifier solution. I recently built a B22 (I've been getting spoiled) and I'm finishing it with speaker outputs so I was considering buying a used SRD-7/PRO or MKII and running it off of the speaker outs from the B22. My other option would be to buy a dedicated STAX amp such as a SRM 323.
Can anybody share their opinions on which would be a better sounding setup?
Also I understand that the SR303s are pro bias but are compatible with normal bias outputs. Would running them through a normal biased amp/energizer make a big difference compared to pro bias?
Thanks for any advice.

Used SRD-7/PRO or MKII are hard to come by. But don't be deterred, and continue prowling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back