The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #10,322 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys,
Whats the difference between a SRD-7 and a SRD-7SB? I know SB stands for self-bias. What does that mean and why is it better. Or is it?
Ian

As the name implies the SRD-7SB is self biasing, the SRD-7 was not. Simplified production and reduced costs [removed the need of a seperate AC power supply].

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #10,323 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoTom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arrrrgggggg.......

Yes, that's what I've been looking for!! Thank you and thanks to jigster as well!!

Tom

You're welcome.
smile.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #10,324 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The oldest ribbon cable, which is still used on the SR-202, is just OFC. Then in 1987 Stax introduced (Sr-Lambda Signature/Sigma Pro) the PC-OCC versions of that cable and it looks identical (though 3 different colors out there) except for the gold plated plugs. The Wide PC-OCC was introduced with the SR-Omega in 1993 and there were obviously plans for some more cable research (as the Omega has detachable cables) but the company folded before anything materialized.

interesting.....

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #10,325 of 24,807
Quote:

Guys,
Whats the difference between a SRD-7 and a SRD-7SB? I know SB stands for self-bias. What does that mean and why is it better. Or is it?
Ian

I have the srd7-sb. I have never been able to find a satisfying answer as to the actual difference as compared to the srd-7. From what I have been told and read, the self biasing brings out more dynamics, while the non sb version brings out more highs and lows.. I recall something about soundstaging, but I dont remember exactly what. I have not had the opportunity to compare the two versions.. so there you have it.

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #10,326 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the name implies the SRD-7SB is self biasing, the SRD-7 was not. Simplified production and reduced costs [removed the need of a seperate AC power supply].

One extra transformer is certainly more expensive then a power cord so the SB's were more expensive to make. They were more convenient for the end user and their impact on SQ is debatable as the bias supply is isolated from the audio side by a transformer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting.....

You can see the connector here. It's nice to see some of my pictures there...
normal_smile .gif
You really have to remove the outer screen to grab a hold of the cable but it is only held in place with friction.

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #10,327 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the srd7-sb. I have never been able to find a satisfying answer as to the actual difference as compared to the srd-7. From what I have been told and read, the self biasing brings out more dynamics, while the non sb version brings out more highs and lows.. I recall something about soundstaging, but I dont remember exactly what. I have not had the opportunity to compare the two versions.. so there you have it.

I have owned 2 of each and the biggest difference in audio i heard was that the sb version seemed a little quieter. Not a lot but enough to make a difference. Essentially the sb version takes a feed from a specific secondary on each of the transformers and apply a voltage multiplier to the ac voltage to create your bias. I certainly wouldnt say that one is more dynamic than the other nor does one have more highs and lows than the other.

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #10,328 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can see the connector here. It's nice to see some of my pictures there...
normal_smile .gif
You really have to remove the outer screen to grab a hold of the cable but it is only held in place with friction.

Interesting pictures, so the 001 is really more of a mini Omega instead of a mini O2....
regular_smile .gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #10,329 of 24,807
I'd say the removable cable on the 001/003 is there out of necessity rather then anything else. The cable is very fragile but it has to be this thin to be portable. The plug also makes for an easy connection to the drivers with the pins in the socket being parts of the stators and diaphragm.

In terms of sound I've never quite got the link between the mini Stax and the O2's as they don't sound similar to my ears and even less so with the SR-Omega.

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #10,330 of 24,807
I was keeping an eye on an SRM1Mk2 amp, which came with a lambda pro. I don't need the phones but wanted the amp. Anyway the pair sold for $713.50 on Ebay. This has got to be a new high. About 2 months ago I got a more recent version of this amp, shipped from Europe for $297.00 Surely the phones aren't worth $400.00. Seems like a new high in inflation for vintage Stax.

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #10,332 of 24,807
This maybe a stupid question but what impedance does the SRD-7 present to an amplifier? I'm looking at amplifiers to drive my SRD-7/SR-X Mk3.
I currently run a Qinpu Q2 (5Wx2)and it feels like I need more headroom. Any suggestions for something to drive the SRD?
Also I ordered new pads for the SR-X. Are any there any other compatible pads out there that might improve the comfort and/or sound?
Thanks

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #10,334 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was keeping an eye on an SRM1Mk2 amp, which came with a lambda pro. I don't need the phones but wanted the amp. Anyway the pair sold for $713.50 on Ebay. This has got to be a new high. About 2 months ago I got a more recent version of this amp, shipped from Europe for $297.00 Surely the phones aren't worth $400.00. Seems like a new high in inflation for vintage Stax.

Summer of 07 the Lambda Pro's were going between $400-500. The SRM-1mk2 Pro was going between $350-450. I have seen a lot of vintage audio gear drop in recent months. The only exception is McIntosh and Marantz tube gear.

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #10,335 of 24,807
Quote:

This maybe a stupid question but what impedance does the SRD-7 present to an amplifier? I'm looking at amplifiers to drive my SRD-7/SR-X Mk3.
I currently run a Qinpu Q2 (5Wx2)and it feels like I need more headroom. Any suggestions for something to drive the SRD?
Also I ordered new pads for the SR-X. Are any there any other compatible pads out there that might improve the comfort and/or sound?
Thanks

Yesterday, I installed new pads on my SR-X as well and it is less uncomfortable now so it does worth to replace it. If you fancy a bit of modding, Omega II pads with a ring adapter and Gamma headband can be installed which makes it comfortable (maybe even better sounding as well when using different pads) but the parts cost can be quite expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back