The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #10,306 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny. I came to work today where I have a hotaudio USB DAC followed by a Qinpu Q2 and my DT770 (250 Ohm). i thought the Beyers sounded really good with this setup. I really did. so I plugged in the speaker leads of the SRD-7. Boy was I shocked. It's like someone opened the curtains! The Stax are so much more realistic. The presentation reminds me of my SR60 but so much better. light years really. After a while of lisetning to the Stax I tried my DT770 again. No comparison. I can't even listen to them anymore. They have a much more receded presentation and are just not as good. I don't know what more to say. They're just not as good as the Stax. I've really screwed myself haven't I
smily_headphones1.gif
Now I know why people tell Noobs to run away.
I've ordered new pads for them from Audiocubes. Oh also i can't listen to some of my music as the recordings are terrible. They're not very forgiving are they?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yup! you have
smile.gif
but it's worth it. A year ago i joined head-fi on a whim as i was after some info on a new set of cans to replace my terrible wireless surround sound panasonic plastic junk. I now sitting here with a set of Omega II mk1's and aspirations of a $5000 headphone amp! Welcome to the lost souls club
smile.gif

If your reading this thread for the first time. Stop now, log out of head fi, delete the link from your favourites and never come here again. Other wise your doomed!

Mar 19, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #10,307 of 24,807
Quote:

Oh also i can't listen to some of my music as the recordings are terrible. They're not very forgiving are they?
smily_headphones1.gif

It is like with dentists. Some you only visit once because their work is crap and it hurts like hell.

It is the same with recording/mastering engineers.
Now (thanks to stax) you can tell the difference.

cheers

Tom

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #10,308 of 24,807
Quote:

<snip>
After a while of lisetning to the Stax I tried my DT770 again. No comparison. I can't even listen to them anymore. They have a much more receded presentation and are just not as good. I don't know what more to say. They're just not as good as the Stax. I've really screwed myself haven't I
smily_headphones1.gif
Now I know why people tell Noobs to run away.

Great!
Don't say we did not warn you... Cause now you're sold.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Welcome to team Stax!

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #10,309 of 24,807
one quick question:
So the wide format ribbon (at least the extension cables) uses OCC copper.
How about the narrow ones on Lambda, Lambda pro, etc? I would guess the narrow cables came out too early to be OCC (OCC process was developed in ~ 86, and Lambda's were introduced in the late 70's).... Anybody knows?

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #10,310 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one quick question:
How about the narrow ones on Lambda, Lambda pro, etc? I would guess the narrow cables came out too early to be OCC (OCC process was developed in ~ 86, and Lambda's were introduced in the late 70's).... Anybody knows?

Lambda Sig I thought used the PC-OCC cable.

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #10,312 of 24,807
The PC-OCC cable (and Pro bias) was introduced with the SR-Lambda Pro.
But for example the Gamma/Alpha Pro still used the OFC wire (the Alpha Pro Excellent used PC-OCC) and the SR-X Mk3 Pro used the 'ancient' cable (but with a Pro bias socket).

The wide PC-OCC cable was introduced with the SR-Omega (and Lambda Nova Signature).

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #10,313 of 24,807
Looks like all the STAX experts are here..... I'm trying to replace tubes in my SRM-006t II setup. Could someone confirm the following...especially the pin designations.

The procedure should be as follows:

Turn off and unplug the SRM-006t II
Open up the SRM-006t II
Remove the two 6FQ7 (6CG7) tubes
Replace the tubes with the new tubes
Plug-in and turn on the SRM-006t II letting it warm up for 30 minutes
Adjust DC balance to zero
Adjust DC offset to zero.
***Since changes in DC balance will change DC offset and vice versa the adjustments will probably be repeated and checked several times.***
Turn off and unplug the SRM-006t II
Close the SRM-006t II
Connect to source and listen to music.........

If I face the front of the amplifier the pins of the connector should be as follows – AGAIN this is looking at the front of the amplifier towards the back and looking INTO the “female” connector

____3____

4_______2

__5____1__

(underlines being used to keep spacing)

To measure the DC balance I put my voltmeter probe into 2 (right +) and 5 (right -) and adjust potentiometer TVR1 for the right channel to read zero. I then move the probes to 3 (left +) and 4 (left -) and adjust potentiometer TVR1 for the left channel to read zero.

To measure DC offset I connect one probe to 2 (right +) and the ground post at the back of the amp and adjust TVR2 for the right channel to read zero. I then move the probe to 3 (left +) and leave the other probe on the ground post and adjust TVR2 for the left channel to read zero.

I want to make sure this is correct as I don’t want to put a probe into pin 1 – the bias voltage thinking it was pin 5. This probably wouldn't be good for me or the amplifier.

Thanks for your help.......................

Tom

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #10,315 of 24,807
Thanks Michgelsen...

I plan on changing out the tubes and confirming the prodedure and then doing a detailed writeup with detailed photo's when I'm done. The info has been scattered in bits and pieces in several places with some procedures seemingly contradicting others. Hopefully it will be useful for people in the future.

Tom

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #10,317 of 24,807
Michgelson.....

Thanks, I'd seen portions of that thread but never the whole thing. One of the problems that I had was trying to figure out if people were talking about measuring at the headphone socket or at the rca output... I had originally thought that measuring at the rca output was the way to go (similar to measureing dc offset on a power amplifier acroos the +/- speaker leads). After seeing several pasted versions of the procedure I started to see that people were talking about the headphone jack as well. Then adding to the confusion was that sometimes it seemed like people were describing the pins from the standpoint of the "male" plug and other times it seemed like the discussion was from the view facing the "female" jack. Anyway, I will try to give back by making a VERY detailed and photographed procedure that can be used by others in the future.

Thanks again for the help.........

Tom

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #10,319 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one quick question:

The oldest ribbon cable, which is still used on the SR-202, is just OFC. Then in 1987 Stax introduced (Sr-Lambda Signature/Sigma Pro) the PC-OCC versions of that cable and it looks identical (though 3 different colors out there) except for the gold plated plugs. The Wide PC-OCC was introduced with the SR-Omega in 1993 and there were obviously plans for some more cable research (as the Omega has detachable cables) but the company folded before anything materialized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back