The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #10,292 of 24,807
My Lambda Signature need new mineral wool as they have had the dampening removed when I recieved them. I'm not sure why someone would do that, they do not sound good that way to me (worse then the Lambda Pro). The foam behind the pads is half disintegrated, so I'll also have to replace the pads with a pair from audiocubes II. I don't think they have the brown pads like these though, bummer.

Any help or clues as to finding these materials?

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #10,293 of 24,807
Question: there is thread about bass reproduction
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wha...ml#post5532151
One STAX owner wrote:...'To my ears as a piano player myself, I think the pro900 does the best job I'v heard so far'...
This thread seems non active for now, so perhaps i have to ask in this thread again:
what is Stax Lambda Nova Signature missing (just lowest register or authority or...)? Whats up with newest 007 or 4070, how they deal with lowest register?

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #10,294 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Lambda Signature need new mineral wool as they have had the dampening removed when I recieved them. I'm not sure why someone would do that, they do not sound good that way to me (worse then the Lambda Pro). The foam behind the pads is half disintegrated, so I'll also have to replace the pads with a pair from audiocubes II. I don't think they have the brown pads like these though, bummer.

There was no damping on the Signature and the earpads are long out of production. The SR-404 pads will work but they don't look the same.

Mar 18, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #10,295 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was no damping on the Signature and the earpads are long out of production. The SR-404 pads will work but they don't look the same.

Thanks, I learned something. Pads are rough, but still sealing decently, I'll just pull out the rest of the foam.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #10,296 of 24,807
Guys, I'm panicking! I got my SR-X Mk3 today. I posted in the headphones forum but thought I'd ask here too. I'm not getting any sound from the headphones. The SRD-7 turns on and I hooked my amp to the SRD-7 but I get nothing. Do they need to charge up or anything? Please help

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #10,297 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I'm panicking! I got my SR-X Mk3 today. I posted in the headphones forum but thought I'd ask here too. I'm not getting any sound from the headphones. The SRD-7 turns on and I hooked my amp to the SRD-7 but I get nothing. Do they need to charge up or anything? Please help

Make sure you connect the SRD-7 input cable (grey cable) to the speaker amp's outputs, and not connect the amp to the speaker terminals on the back of the SRD-7.

Also make sure the switch on the front of the SRD-7 is set for earspeakers and not loudspeakers.

And, make sure you have the correct outputs of the speaker amp turned on.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #10,299 of 24,807
Quote:

Duh!!! What an idiot I am!! I connected to the speaker terminals. You guys are the best really!

I figured it had to be one of the three possibilities I mentioned.
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy to help.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #10,301 of 24,807
Quote:

Although, as spritzer explained, the Signature did not come with the mineral wool, you can get the wool and the acoustic foam from Yama's Inc (yamasinc.com). Just shoot them an email (and be prepared to wait a bit for a reply).

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #10,302 of 24,807
Quote:

Thanks, I learned something. Pads are rough, but still sealing decently, I'll just pull out the rest of the foam.

You can try applying some automotive vinyl cleaner/conditioner to the pads as the good ones soften them up. I use Autoglym "Vinyl and Rubber care" and it works brilliantly at bringing back the real color (without too much sheen) and softening up old pads.

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #10,304 of 24,807
Quote:

Duh!!! What an idiot I am!! I connected to the speaker terminals. You guys are the best really!

Quote:

Thanks again!! I'm off to listen now
smily_headphones1.gif

No idiot!
You're certainly not the first one to have hooked up the SRD-7 wrongly, and you wont be the last.

So, what do you think about it?

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #10,305 of 24,807
It's funny. I came to work today where I have a hotaudio USB DAC followed by a Qinpu Q2 and my DT770 (250 Ohm). i thought the Beyers sounded really good with this setup. I really did. so I plugged in the speaker leads of the SRD-7. Boy was I shocked. It's like someone opened the curtains! The Stax are so much more realistic. The presentation reminds me of my SR60 but so much better. light years really. After a while of lisetning to the Stax I tried my DT770 again. No comparison. I can't even listen to them anymore. They have a much more receded presentation and are just not as good. I don't know what more to say. They're just not as good as the Stax. I've really screwed myself haven't I
smily_headphones1.gif
Now I know why people tell Noobs to run away.
I've ordered new pads for them from Audiocubes. Oh also i can't listen to some of my music as the recordings are terrible. They're not very forgiving are they?
smily_headphones1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back