The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #10,336 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was keeping an eye on an SRM1Mk2 amp, which came with a lambda pro. I don't need the phones but wanted the amp. Anyway the pair sold for $713.50 on Ebay. This has got to be a new high. About 2 months ago I got a more recent version of this amp, shipped from Europe for $297.00 Surely the phones aren't worth $400.00. Seems like a new high in inflation for vintage Stax.

$700 is not an awesome deal, but more about average I would say.
Sure you can be lucky to score a great deal like the $297 (shipped) SRM-1/MK2. But that is more a rarity than the rule.

The condition of the units also make quite a noticeable impact on the selling price.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #10,337 of 24,807
A mint LNS went for 250 recently; I was probably minutes away from scoring them
frown.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #10,339 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Yeah, someone got a great deal there I think.
smile.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #10,340 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Summer of 07 the Lambda Pro's were going between $400-500.

That was a crazy time for us! Stax Fever was in full effect here!

On another note, in theory I should have both a Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 Mk.III and Stax SR-X Mk.III/Pro by the end of this week... talk about an impending eargasm!

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #10,342 of 24,807
I've never converted a SRM-3 so I'm not sure what you would have to do. The transformer on some of the models is soldered to a PCB so there could be a a row of bridges that have to be connected in the right order.

Btw. You should know that the SRM-3 is one of the worst Stax amps out there and I much prefer the older SRM-1 Mk2.

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #10,343 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking about purchasing the SRM-3 driver on sale here, but I live in Australia where we have 240 volt power. Any tips about how to go about converting the unit to 240 volts, or would I be safer getting Stax USA to do it?

The easy route is to just buy a voltage transformer. Some of the gear i've used in the past has been 117v and 100v so i just bought a fairly decent transformer. This also tends to help with the sound quality in some instances if you happen to have a very poor ac line i.e. it acts as an isolation transformer as well and some of them have an emi filter. This way it doesn't matter what volts the device works at or whether it can be reconfigured it will work wherever you are.

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #10,344 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never converted a SRM-3 so I'm not sure what you would have to do. The transformer on some of the models is soldered to a PCB so there could be a a row of bridges that have to be connected in the right order.

Btw. You should know that the SRM-3 is one of the worst Stax amps out there and I much prefer the older SRM-1 Mk2.

I have them both and wouldn't want to suggest that the SRM3 is a bad product. There are likely lesser models, such as the various portables and mini-amps. I find the SRM1Mk2 has a bit more dynamics, probably because of its ability to generate more voltage to the drivers. It has a bit of harshness compared to the SRM3. For some reason Stax reduced the output voltage on most of its tube and transistor amps after the SRM1Mk2. I think this works well with the phones that are easier to drive such as Lambdas but the harder phones, such as the Sigma Pro's and various Omegas seem to need higher voltages. I use my SRM1Mk2 mostly to run a Sigma/404.

Mar 26, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #10,345 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

I just won a re-conditioned pair from Yahoo Auctions for $220, with new dust filter and something about amending the gap. It will be interesting to compare them to my SR-5NBs, which I'm smitten with. My new DAC arrived today, so I'm just about complete with my rig.

I'm not the only one who likes the SR-5NBs...

Stax_baby_.jpg

She was listening (quietly) to some mambo.

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #10,346 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just won a re-conditioned pair from Yahoo Auctions for $220, with new dust filter and something about amending the gap.

You should know that re-conditioned or refurbished Stax usually involves throwing out the old drivers and replacing them with what ever is in current production. That would mean SR-303/404 drivers and that's not a good thing in this case. It's easy to check as the LNS drivers have a gold anodized ring around the drivers (which you can see through the chassis) and the SR-303/404 have a red ring.

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #10,347 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not the only one who likes the SR-5NBs...

http://currawong.net/gallery2/d/8556-2/Stax_baby_.jpg

She was listening (quietly) to some mambo.

Cute!
biggrin.gif

One should start early to be a great Head-Fi'er... he he

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #10,348 of 24,807
He's saying 'westside!', just look at that hand gesture.

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #10,350 of 24,807
Is the SRM-717 a large step up from the SRM-1 MKII? I had the latter briefly and it was nice but perhaps a little less dynamic and a little lacking in tonal depth than what I was looking for.

My SRM-1 wasn't working correctly (humming issue) so perhaps another unit would sound a bit better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back